FORUMS
Damien

Dragon Priest Standard

5 hours ago, Guest HolySloth said:

I don't have access to BRM so is there a solid replacement for black wing corrupter 

Blackwing Corruptor is a crucial card in this deck. You could go for second Blackwing Technician and one Acidic Swamp Ooze, but your winrate will not be as good as with Blackwing Corruptors.

1 hour ago, WedgeAntilles said:

A dragon deck without BRM seems quite impossible - Blackwing Technician is from BRM too.

And Twilight Whelp Twilight Whelp too

BTW: Just realized how you link the cards, great feature, very helpful!

Luckily, those cards can be found in lower wings, which makes it possible for players to have them, but not have Blackwing Corruptor. But indeed, without BrM as whole, the deck would be completely unusable. 

I stumbled across this deck looking for a powerful Dragon Priest deck and have decided to give it a go as I can't improve on a Level 13 ranking creating my own (with any hero). I struggle to play more than a couple of games with the same deck before getting frustrated and then tweaking with disastrous effect. This time, I have promised myself I will play at least 30 games with the same 30 cards.

On paper, the deck worries me as it doesn't look all that strong. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about playing a Priest deck without a Holy Nova, Entomb or Mind Control. However, much to my surprise, it works. I've even defeated a Jade Druid thanks to Dragonfire Potion. My only losses to date are against aggro decks which get off to a flying start. You really need a good draw early on by getting your taunt dragons in play so as to get a foothold in the game. This deck only comes into its own from turn 5 onwards and it is quite possible to be out of the game way before that if you are not careful. I recommend keeping a dragon in your hand during the mulligan so you can activate the other cards in the deck. Obviously, this can be risky against aggro decks if your dragon has 5+ mana. But it is what it is. Finally, this is a deck where you need to concentrate at all times on every move as the key is controlling the battlefield and not losing the initiative. Once you have your minions in control, you can gradually start slapping the face of your opponent until their health is reduced to zero.

• Like 1

True to my word, I stuck to the 30 games without tweaking and managed to get to level 12 before the end of the season. It was doing well but I got off to a slow start this season and couldn't resist making a few changes. My win rate was 53% (16-14) but I wanted something better to try and move up the ladder quicker.

I decided to remove Brann Bronzebeard as not once during the 30 games did I get the chance to trigger a battlecry twice, 1 Kabal Talonpriest, Priest of the Feast, 1 of the Blackwing Corrupters, and the Book Wyrm and replaced them with 1 Holy Nova, 2 Twilight Drakes, and 2 Entombs. As I said in my previous post, I was worried playing without Holy Nova and Entomb. I've played 24 games with the new deck and won 15 of them (63%) so I think I made the right decision. Priest of the Feast never really makes much of a difference due to the lack of spells and I was happy adding a dragon to the deck in order to increase the chances of holding one at all times.

Only Reno priest plays Dragonfire Potion, some dragon priests run it also .. After Jade druids ceased being popular on ladder its been cut because dragon priests need the board to win and blowing up your own board seems counter productive .. I would also suggest running 1 silence effect, personally I put in 1 mass dispel for annoying rogues/ twilight drake+faceless shambler

On 1/6/2017 at 6:14 AM, peekaboo said:

Only Reno priest plays Dragonfire Potion, some dragon priests run it also .. After Jade druids ceased being popular on ladder its been cut because dragon priests need the board to win and blowing up your own board seems counter productive .. I would also suggest running 1 silence effect, personally I put in 1 mass dispel for annoying rogues/ twilight drake+faceless shambler

I'm keeping two copies of Dragonfire Potion and two copies of Holy Nova in the deck due to all the Jade Druid and Shaman & Hunter/Zoolock decks I keep on encountering. I have also added Alexstrasza because the deck has no powerful end game and if it goes too many turns over 10 the chances of winning go down drastically. For silence, I have Kabal Songstealer. Another good trick is to use Sylvanas Windrunner+Shadow Word Death to steal a big minion off of your opponent.

5 hours ago, BarkingMad said:

I'm keeping two copies of Dragonfire Potion and two copies of Holy Nova in the deck due to all the Jade Druid and Shaman & Hunter/Zoolock decks I keep on encountering. I have also added Alexstrasza because the deck has no powerful end game and if it goes too many turns over 10 the chances of winning go down drastically. For silence, I have Kabal Songstealer. Another good trick is to use Sylvanas Windrunner+Shadow Word Death to steal a big minion off of your opponent.

If that's working for you that's great .. I play on NA and there are way too many aggro decks to justify using 4 board clears .. I even tried pint size potion + shadow word horror cause it's the cheapest board clear apart from using wild pyro combos

On 1/8/2017 at 4:08 AM, peekaboo said:

If that's working for you that's great .. I play on NA and there are way too many aggro decks to justify using 4 board clears .. I even tried pint size potion + shadow word horror cause it's the cheapest board clear apart from using wild pyro combos

As I climb up the ladder, I've had to drop one of each (Holy Nova and Dragonfire Potion) due to the number of aggro decks. I've also replaced Sylvanas and Alexstrasza with an Acidic Swamp Ooze and an Entomb. It holds its own against most aggro decks but you need a bit of luck early on to draw your taunt minions.

I'm currently at level 9 with this deck but due to work and other commitments won't have the time to get to Legend this month. But I think it is very possible. By the way, what happens if you reach Legend on the last day of the month? Do you have to go back almost to the start again?

Anyway, I have only made three changes in total to the original deck. I have removed Priest of the Feast, 1 Dragonfire Potion, and the Blackwing Technician and replaced them with Acidic Swamp Ooze, Holy Nova, and Entomb.

Further tips for playing this deck well:

1. Take full advantage of Netherspite Historian to pick up at least two powerful dragons (I try to save Brann Bronzebeard so I can get three), especially if the game is going to last a long time. 

2. Drakonid Operative - gaining two or three (Brann) of your opponent's cards can be the difference between winning or losing, especially as you nearly always get at least one excellent option. That's how important this card is. I've lost count of the number of times I've been given Dr. Boom or Ragnaros the Firelord. In one match against a Hunter I choose Dr. Boom twice and played them on turn 7 and 8! The match was conceded immediately.

3. Finally, I just had to include Entomb as it is another lifesaver when your opponent plays a powerful minion you have no way of dealing with especially if it means losing control of the battlefield (see my other posts above for more information). Nothing fills me with more joy than stealing Tirion Fordring.

12 hours ago, BarkingMad said:

By the way, what happens if you reach Legend on the last day of the month? Do you have to go back almost to the start again?

The only difference between getting to legend on day 1 and on the last day of the season is that your legendary rank will be worse, but that doesn't really matter unless you are going for World Championship points. You will be sent back to rank 16 either way, and will be receiving the same amount and rarity of golden cards.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 11:18 AM, positiv2 said:

The only difference between getting to legend on day 1 and on the last day of the season is that your legendary rank will be worse, but that doesn't really matter unless you are going for World Championship points. You will be sent back to rank 16 either way, and will be receiving the same amount and rarity of golden cards.

Err....so if you make Legend rank seconds before midnight on the last day of the month, you won't actually get to play any games as a Legend? You go back to level 16 immediately? The whole ranking system needs rethinking...

I was doing quite well with this deck (level 9), but now I can't win a game. I am back at level 14! 

17 hours ago, BarkingMad said:

Err....so if you make Legend rank seconds before midnight on the last day of the month, you won't actually get to play any games as a Legend? You go back to level 16 immediately? The whole ranking system needs rethinking...

Well, if you manage to start a game before midnight, you will get to play in legend. If not, you will play the next game as a rank 16, exactly as you.
The system is currently being looked at (or so says Ben Brode), specifically at ways to make the grind to legend not as grindy.

• Like 1