Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrightwingMain

Why Warrior Archtype list lacks "Patron Warrior"

4 posts in this topic

The Archetype list of Hearthstone "decks" section seems to not have Patron Warrior. Although not relevant deck for the metagame anymore, especially after year of the Mammoth is coming up, its still a unique deck that influenced the game and the community like no other. The section should be there, if not for competitive purposes (I actually have zero idea if Patron is still good in Wild format), it should be added to show new players some of the unique legacy of previous expansions as well as for some nostalgic players to have the decklist in case they would want to experience the Patron madness again.

Although not super important task, it shouldn't be super hard either and would be nice to have it.

Well, the reason is simple - there simply aren't enough patron warrior decks (and the existing are simply too unpopular) to justify adding them as a standalone archetype. Patron decks used to be a significant force indeed, but are weak and too complicated nowadays.
At this moment, we are trying to reduce the clutter, and adding more items that the majority of users consider unuseful or uninteresting is not an option. I'll make sure to come back to your suggestion later and we'll definitely reconsider it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

2 hours ago, BrightwingMain said:

I actually have zero idea if Patron is still good in Wild format

Not really, sadly.

On 19/03/2017 at 10:21 PM, positiv2 said:

Well, the reason is simple - there simply aren't enough patron warrior decks (and the existing are simply too unpopular) to justify adding them as a standalone archetype. Patron decks used to be a significant force indeed, but are weak and too complicated nowadays.
At this moment, we are trying to reduce the clutter, and adding more items that the majority of users consider unuseful or uninteresting is not an option. I'll make sure to come back to your suggestion later and we'll definitely reconsider it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Not really, sadly.

Not true. I'm currently at legend 35 in wild, and I've seen people in the top 100 run Patron Warrior. It's still a very good counter to aggro decks, and things like druid or secret paladin which have no way of dealing with a big patron board. The reason it's not as good as it once was is because it just loses badly to any deck that runs AoE and enough life gain to stay out of grom range(reno decks mainly).

A deck being unpopular doesn't mean it's bad, it could just mean it's not a deck the average HS'er will pick up and get good results with, or that it just doesn't fit the current meta that well. In the case of PW I would say it's a bit of both.

Plus if you have lists for beast druid and Echo Giants mage on the website, I don't see any reason not to include patron as well.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, JooBatanete said:

Not true. I'm currently at legend 35 in wild, and I've seen people in the top 100 run Patron Warrior.

Using legend tanks is usually a bad idea, especially in wild, which is the more casual ranked ladder. A friend of mine had a top 30 finish with beast druid, and beast druid is definitely not a deck I would call powerful. 

The reason it's not as good as it once was is because it just loses badly to any deck that runs AoE and enough life gain to stay out of grom range(reno decks mainly).

Shamans are still quite popular, and they tend to run Lightning Storm. Reno decks are very common as well. Control Warrior runs Brawl, all kinds of mages run Flamestrike, dragon priests run Dragonfire Potions or even Excavated Evils, though that seems to be quite rare.
Most of current meta counters patron warrior, which is basically what you said with AoE and life gain.

A deck being unpopular doesn't mean it's bad, it could just mean it's not a deck the average HS'er will pick up and get good results with, or that it just doesn't fit the current meta that well. In the case of PW I would say it's a bit of both.

The deck gets countered by most of meta, and even if it was strong enough, but still unpopular, we would be adding an item that almost no people would click, which is the exact opposite of what we want to do right now. I am not saying we will never add it, but rather that now that we are trying to reduce clutter, adding more items is not the way to go.

3 hours ago, JooBatanete said:

Plus if you have lists for beast druid and Echo Giants mage on the website, I don't see any reason not to include patron as well.

We do have lists for patron, actually. It's just that we do not have Patron Warrior archetype assigned to them. Creating new archetypes is, sadly, not as easy as one might think.