Stan

Ben Brode AMA Summary: July 14

12 posts in this topic

V7L9skG.jpg

Hearthstone Game Director Ben Brode did an AMA on reddit yesterday and here's a summary with the most interesting highlihts.

  • Blizzard didn't want to reveal 1 card a day for the new expansion, because the feedback they were getting was that hype was slowing down as they got closer to the expansion. Cards will be revealed on July 24.
  • They would like to make Handlock a thing again, but Brode's worried with their ability to make Handlock insane in Standard going forward, with new cards, without pushing it into insanity in Wild. It can be done in Wild by moving cards that are buffing it, or by making entirely new cards in Standard that are good in both formats. 
  • When asked about free cards on a weekly rotation, Brode said they wouldn't be doing it due to its complexity, but the team is exploring other options with similar, less complex goals.
  • The team internally experiments with various formats to keep the game fresh e.g. by changing the ladder format for the last month of a set.
  • Each class will have a hero card and a legendary minion in Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion.
  • New ladder experience is in the works with the goals to reduce the monthly grind for top-level players, increase progression for bottom 25% of player, better match-making and improve new player ranked experience.
  • Hearthstone won't be coming to consoles anytime soon.
  • Ice Block is a card that matches their red flags for cards that shouldn't be in Standard forever.
  • They will continue to add more features to the collection manager.
  • The team will make a new Druid and Warlock hero. Regarding Tyrande, the goal was to find alternative ways for regions that were not eligible for the offer to get access to Tyrande and they've been working with their regional offices to make it happen.
  • More minion-placement cards will be added to the game.
  • Blizzard's working on a way to provide more stats to players, but Brode doesn't like "profile" pages.
  • The main goals with the upcoming ladder rework are
    • Reduce grind for top-level players
    • Increase progression for players stuck at rank 20-ish
    • Get better matchmaking for bottom 25% players
    • Make experience better for new players
  • The biggest challenging is making those things better without losing what they like about the current system.
  • Specating mode is definitely a place with a lot of room for improvement.
  • New opportunities are on the horizon to earn packs of the new set through upcoming events and single-player missions that will be free with the new set.
  • They're going to bring back Wild cards for sale, which should make Wild more accessible.
  • No plans to add another class, they have plans for more unique things for Warlocks and a 10th class wouldn't be helpful. The time should be spent to make the core classes more fun.
  • Adding the Hall of Fame in Un'Goro and hitting those 6 cards allowed them to see the "freshest" meta yet. 
  • Changes to arena rewards are coming. Details TBA.
  • Hero cards are a new thing that replaces your hero, not transforms them.

(Source)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Ice Block is a card that matches their red flags for cards that shouldn't be in Standard forever.

Good news indeed. :D

5 hours ago, Stan said:

The team will make a new Druid and Warlock hero

It's about damn time. :D

5 hours ago, Stan said:

They would like to make Handlock a thing again

Yay! :D

5 hours ago, Stan said:

More minion-placement cards will be added to the game.

More yay! :D

5 hours ago, Stan said:

The main goals with the upcoming ladder rework are

  • Reduce grind for top-level players
  • Increase progression for players stuck at rank 20-ish
  • Get better matchmaking for bottom 25% players
  • Make experience better for new players

Good news but I do fear that they might muck it up. I am going to be optimistic on this one. 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

No plans to add another class, they have plans for more unique things for Warlocks

I'm happy about this as Warlock is one of my favorite classes but I am sad that we won't be getting a DK class. Good news for your wallet @positiv2 ;)

4 hours ago, Dustintime said:

Ben Brode has an odd resemblance to that actor fellow.

Seth Rogan? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingMe said:

[Re Ice Block's potential removal from Standard] Good news indeed. :D 

As someone who likes to play Quest Mage a lot (Giants version, not endless Fireball), I disagree. Without Ice block, I don't see how the Mage quest can possibly work, because its tough enough as it is now. Not unless some new card is added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, h3llbee said:

As someone who likes to play Quest Mage a lot (Giants version, not endless Fireball), I disagree. Without Ice block, I don't see how the Mage quest can possibly work, because its tough enough as it is now. Not unless some new card is added.

I agree. I don't see Quest Mage working without it but at the same time I would like to see mage work period without the need for Ice Block

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Blizzard trying to make Handlock a thing again, but honestly most of the best decks gameplay wise and most balanced decks have been discovered by community, not handed on a plate by Blizzard. The decks Blizzard want to push to viability end up being decks like Taunt warrior and Secret Paladin, decks that are both uninteractive and very often pretty autopilot as well. The argument of "not making it insane in wild" is completely just a bad excuse, as with that logic N'Zoth for example would never have been printed ever. Keeping wild balanced is while still trying to make standard meta less stale is borderline impossible, and I would like Blizzard just to give up on trying to pay attention to wild balance, as it griefs the development of standard too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrightwingMain said:

Love Blizzard trying to make Handlock a thing again, but honestly most of the best decks gameplay wise and most balanced decks have been discovered by community, not handed on a plate by Blizzard. The decks Blizzard want to push to viability end up being decks like Taunt warrior and Secret Paladin, decks that are both uninteractive and very often pretty autopilot as well. The argument of "not making it insane in wild" is completely just a bad excuse, as with that logic N'Zoth for example would never have been printed ever. Keeping wild balanced is while still trying to make standard meta less stale is borderline impossible, and I would like Blizzard just to give up on trying to pay attention to wild balance, as it griefs the development of standard too much.

Most of the decks that ended up being tier 1 were obviously "intentional" - Patron Warrior, Secret Paladin, C'thun decks, Quest decks, OTK Murloc pally, so on. Anyway, it's hard to tell whether a deck was "handed on a plate by Blizzard", as the only decks they provide are deck recipes, and giving one deck for each class is often not enough to showcase all ideas they had.

I agree with you on the wild excuse. Currently, the (arguably) strongest deck in wild is Pirate Warrior, which is a standard deck with only 1 wild card in it - Ship's Cannon. It's obvious that even though blizzard said Wild allows them to print low-power cards so that it doesn't spiral out of control, they are so far unsuccessful.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Currently, the (arguably) strongest deck in wild is Pirate Warrior, which is a standard deck with only 1 wild card in it - Ship's Cannon. It's obvious that even though blizzard said Wild allows them to print low-power cards so that it doesn't spiral out of control, they are so far unsuccessful.

Not convinced it's the best wild deck, just the best easy-to-play wild deck. But anyway, it also runs Sir Finley, and often a Death's Bite or two. And Ship's Cannon is a pretty big boost to the power of the deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike Ice Block because unlike all other secrets there are no ways to play around it. You need to deliver a lethal damage to win so there are no way to not proc the secret.  

I wouldn't mind it as much if we had enough cards like Curse of Rafaam to play around the effect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Strongpoint said:

I dislike Ice Block because unlike all other secrets there are no ways to play around it. You need to deliver a lethal damage to win so there are no way to not proc the secret.  

I wouldn't mind it as much if we had enough cards like Curse of Rafaam to play around the effect.

 

You can absolutely play around it if you add a situational card like Eater of Secrets to your deck, The meta is so full of secrets right now that you can really get a lot of play out of that card. There are few things more enjoyable then dropping that card to remove an Ice Block and pushing through lethal damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bozonik said:

Not convinced it's the best wild deck, just the best easy-to-play wild deck. But anyway, it also runs Sir Finley, and often a Death's Bite or two. And Ship's Cannon is a pretty big boost to the power of the deck.

#1 on tempostorm's meta snapshot, #4 on vicious syndicate's report, and #1 on hsreplay.

Not all variations run these cards. Some omit them, yet they remain powerful. You will also see a lot of standard decks on wild ladder, often past rank 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2017 at 11:18 PM, positiv2 said:

#1 on tempostorm's meta snapshot, #4 on vicious syndicate's report, and #1 on hsreplay.

Not all variations run these cards. Some omit them, yet they remain powerful. You will also see a lot of standard decks on wild ladder, often past rank 5.

Yeah, I played wild last season, plenty of standard decks out there. But the standard of play is much weaker too, pushing to Legend was way easier than in Standard, and that's without any prior knowledge of the wild meta too.

Meta snapshots are interesting, but easy-to-play decks get overrated compared to decks that are hard to play well but are stronger with optimal play. Playing out patches on turn 1 in pirate warrior is almost always a horrible play, which I saw a surprising amount in wild, but it'll cost less wins than mulliganing badly in control Shaman, etc. And meta snapshots include all the bad plays, so an optimal-play meta snapshot would look very different imo, were such a thing possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Aleco

      In episode two of "What's the Move?" Aleco discusses an open-ended situation which doesn't have a clear answer.
      In episode two of "What's the Move?" Aleco discusses an open-ended situation which doesn't have a clear answer.
      We kicked off this new series by analyzing a tricky situation which had only one optimal line of play. In episode two we'll take a look at a very different kind of situation, one where there might not be a perfect move at all.
      Please let us know in the comments what you would have done in this situation! One of the primary goals of this series is to foster improvement at Hearthstone by generating discussions. We would also love to hear your feedback on the video itself, as the series is still very new and has plenty room to improve on its format.
      - Aleco
    • By Stan

      In the latest Hearthstone update, Blizzard made adjustments to several cards. The patch is now live now on desktop and it should become available on mobile devices in the coming hours.
      Philosophy and reasons behind these changes can be found here.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Card Changes
      Innervate now reads: Gain 1 Mana Crystal this turn only. (Down from 2)
      Fiery War Axe now costs 3 mana.  (Up from 2)
      Hex now costs 4 mana. (Up from 3)
      Murloc Warleader now reads: Your other Murlocs have +2 Attack. (Down from +2 Attack, +1 Health)
      Spreading Plague now costs 6 mana. (Up from 5) 
    • By Zadina

      A new Brawl has landed in the Tavern.
      Just like with the previous expansions, it's time to try out the deck recipes of Knights of the Frozen Throne in this week's Tavern Brawl. The archetypes for each deck recipe are the following:
      Druid: I guess the best name for this deck is Midrange Druid. It has Ultimate Infestation and Spreading Plague, so... PROFIT?! Deathrattle Hunter Elemental Mage Divine Shield Paladin Control Priest (you've probably seen variations of it in ladder) Jade Deathrattle Rogue Freeze Shaman Zoolock Control Warrior with Enrage minions This is a good opportunity to try out cards that you don't own. Good luck and have fun!
    • By Zadina

      The balance patch is arriving in the beginning of the next week.
      The wait is over! The anticipated card balance changes will arrive on September 18th and hopefully freshen up the meta a little bit. As the case always is with balance patches, for the next two weeks if you disenchant Spreading Plague and/or Murloc Warleader, you will get their full value in Arcane Dust.
      Daxxarri
      In the recent Upcoming Balance Changes – Update 9.1 blog, we discussed the details and philosophy behind balance updates that are coming to several Hearthstone cards:
       
      Innervate - Now reads: Gain 1 Mana Crystal this turn only. (Down from 2) Fiery War Axe - Now costs 3 mana. (Up from 2) Hex - Now costs 4 mana. (Up from 3) Murloc Warleader - Now reads: Your other Murlocs have +2 Attack. (Down from +2 Attack, +1 Health) Spreading Plague - Now costs 6 mana. (Up from 5)
      This patch is currently targeted for September 18th PDT. Please note that updates for mobile devices may take a few additional hours to propagate.

      Once these card changes are live, players will be able to disenchant cards that are not Basic (Murloc Warleader and Spreading Plague) for their full Arcane Dust value for two weeks. Basic cards cannot be disenchanted and will not be available for an Arcane Dust refund. (source)
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our HCT Americas Summer Playoffs coverage.