FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Sonya Shadowdancer Reveal: Kobolds & Catacombs

The Rogue Legendary minion revealed today by Savjz appears to be a powerful, plug-and-play option in many Rogue decks.

gvpZDJM.jpg

Revealed today on Savjz's Youtube channel is the latest Legendary minion for Rogue, Sonya Shadowdancer. She has an extremely exciting text box which could provide serious value to a wide variety of Rogue decks: 

de289fd7c408ef429213dc24ec562c3a.jpg

Though her 2/2 body is underwhelming, her Shadowcaster-esque ability can gain immediate value the turn she is played. She requires some setup to be truly powerful, but I believe that triggering her ability even once is probably good enough in many matchups. Her most obvious home appears to be in Jade decks alongside Aya Blackpaw, but she could also be a solid option in Midrange and Tempo decks looking to out-value opponents. My first impression of Sonya is that she an extremely powerful card, and I fully expect to give her very high marks in my upcoming set review.

Can you think of any crazy combos with Sonya Shadowdancer? Let us know your thoughts on this card in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Kobolds and Catacombs hub for more information on the upcoming set.

I see some fun potential in a new meme deck, that's gonna allow turns with 7 Patches the Pirate 1st turn, then 10 Patches the following turn. (If the opponent is gonna let me lmao)

Real value for this card lies in deathrattle decks. For example, if you can hit Shadowcaster with Aya BlackpawEdwin VanCleefN'Zoth, the Corruptor and etc. that is insane value. This is almost the same, the minion needs to stick to the board for at least one turn, the next turn, you drop this and make some trades, to get your cards back, especially N'Zoth, the Corruptor. I will most likely craft this, unless I get it on packs (I will most likely do)

Turn 8: play Sonya, play Patches. Crush and summon Patches 4 times, summon him 5 times: complete quest rogue.

I don't like what blizzard is doing here. This card, Zola the Chees Gorgon, they are making Quest Rogue viable again.... but much more expensive. I really don't like this kind of move.

I just hope that the legendary weapon of warrior is NOT a (2) 3/2......

At least it looks better then the other rubbish so far. I see nice potential for it but I'm not sure I want see what this card can do with the meta.

But anyway it still looks like we already got a lot of cards where "400 dust" is written on them and will cause a lot of disappointments when opening packs. If this one turns out to be not that good, well one or more doesn't make a difference.

1 minute ago, Caldyrvan said:

At least it looks better then the other rubbish so far. I see nice potential for it but I'm not sure I want see what this card can do with the meta.

But anyway it still looks like we already got a lot of cards where "400 dust" is written on them and will cause a lot of disappointments when opening packs. If this one turns out to be not that good, well one or more doesn't make a difference.

The problem is that, if I want to know if Quest Rogue is viable, I need to pay at least 4800 dust (the quest, Zola, Sonya), while pre nerf the only real cost was the quest. It feels like they nerfed the quest only to make the deck more expensive. I don't like it. I liked quest rogue, I played it in wild where wasn't high tier as in standard; but I don't want to spend 4800 dust that can make a good deck OR become 1200 dust if I'm wrong...

I think the whole concept of quests was a big fail, they are something for solo adventures, it's like playing with yourself while your sweet boy/girlfriend lies with you in bed or playing darts against yourself while you are in bar with your friends who like to play that as well. This card may turn out to do the same just in another way.

But I understand your concern :)

Edited by Caldyrvan

Eh I agree with Savjz.  She is fun, but her stats are a little on the low side and her effect requires far too much set up.  Her effect is powerful enough that she is definitely worth experimenting with and she could be extremely strong, but I have my doubts.

• Like 1

It's a highroll card, but I can see it find a place in Miracle rogue decks. The possibility of getting even a single third auctioneer/vilespine/SI:7/Aya is good; doubling upon it with Valeera the Hollow is just gross.

Clearly intended to be played when you have battlecry, charge, end of turn, or other-shenanigans minions to trade off. The 1-cost effect lets you trigger combos very cheaply, too. This has potential.