FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zadina

Crystal Lion Reveal: Kobolds & Catacombs

34420-arcane-tyrant-reveal-kobolds-catac

More Silver Hand Recruit synergy for Paladin with this newly revealed minion from Kobolds & Catacombs.

Crystal Lion was revealed by Flurry on Twitch. There is an ongoing mystery with the rarity of this card, since Paladin appears to have 4 Rare cards in K&C. If this card is indeed a Rare, then the most likely candidate for non-Rare status is the Unidentified Maul.

crystallion313card.png

Image by Hearthpwn

Well, Paladin gets kind of its own version of Thing from Below. The only difference, which slightly hurts Crystal Lion, is that you need to have Recruits on the board. Still, you can play Stand Against Darkness and this card at turn 6. Two more Paladin cards, namely Drygulch Jailor and Level Up!, have been printed with Silver Hand Recruit synergy in this set. I am not sure if these cards will be enough for this archetype to become decent in Standard, but it's definitely already powerful in Wild and with Crystal Lion it's going to be even crazier.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this card. We'll be sure to update this article, as well as our Kobolds & Catacombs hub, about its actual rarity status (Common, Rare or Epic).

• Thanks 1

Great addition to my wild Silver Hand paladin deck. That deck was already pretty good in wild and seems to be getting a lot better with level up and this card. I reckon it's great in that and in standard, maybe a support card.

This card seems good, in standard too.

Starting from next year, dominant paladin archetype will most likely be dudes. For now, it is worse than murlocs and control. But when both lose important cards, this will be the new meta and unless paladin gets a new Muster and a QMaster this archetype might be bad, even though some important board clears will be history. 

I doubt it will be used in a non silver hand deck and if it turns out to be an epic it's not worth it anyway imo. (as I see it, currently pala is missing both a common and an epic)

Anyway. It often happens that you have at least one Silver hand recruit from your previous turn, no matter in which stage of the game. Then this is a 5 mana 5/5 with divine shield. That's not outstanding but still ok. I think Stand Against Darkness is not the synergy you are looking for (no offense @Zadina ). Turn 1: Lost in the Jungle, turn 2: make another dude, turn 3: drop a 5/5 with divine shield. I know that will not happen all the time but it looks tempting :)

Edited by Caldyrvan

Well, in my plan I was assuming you go first, so no coin and to have 2x Lost in the Jungle can happen but it's not very likely ;)

Anyway, I fear this thing will turn out to be an epic, I still hope it will be common, and for an epic it's def. too bad. But would be a great common. Or better said, if I accidentally pull one out of a pack, fine, but it looks not tempting enough to be crafted (if it'll be epic).

Edited by Caldyrvan

Looks like a great card.

Even if you have to play it for 6 mana a 5/5 with Divine Shield isn't a terrible (game loosing) deal.

And there are lot of ways to make it cheaper.

Obviously it will be epic. Who are you - heretics - to suggest that a really good card should be common? Shall every peasant be able to play it? May god have mercy on your damned souls!

Still no update on the actual rarity of this card. It was posted on the official Hearthstone Twitter as a Rare. So:

1) Paladin does have 4 Rare cards in K&C

2) The Lion is not Rare

3) One of the other Paladin K&C Rares isn't actually Rare. The most likely candidate is the Unidentified Maul, since the Unidentified cards for Priest and Warrior are Common. However, on Twitter the Maul was again posted as Rare...

Anyway, I have amended the OP, it still remains a mystery.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for digging around.

Am I exaggerating  when I say for a company like blizzard it's embarrassing that they are not able to show accurate cards so close to the release date? But maybe I should understand it they are trying to rush out more exp. so fast, no wonder they don't have the time to do things right.

• Like 1