FORUMS
Niix

Azortharion's 6.2.2 MM Hunter Guide

I've called 3 of my guilds 3 hunters for not doing the dps they should be doing (myself and a SV hunter are).  One was literally not using aimed shot, and none of them were doing anywhere near the correct opener.

..not using aimed shot..?

How do people even... well, I guess you need to start somewhere.. but not using aimed shot is just like O.O how?!

..not using aimed shot..?

How do people even... well, I guess you need to start somewhere.. but not using aimed shot is just like O.O how?!

Oh, believe me, with the DPS we have been PUGing, I have seen far worse than this.  Like the Shadow Prist that never cast DP bc she thought it didnt work with CoP...

Oh, believe me, with the DPS we have been PUGing, I have seen far worse than this.  Like the Shadow Prist that never cast DP bc she thought it didnt work with CoP...

Yeah, I guess there's always the uh.. "less informed" out there.

(nicest way I could think to put that)

Just added a few things to the weak auras section.

Mainly the fox weak aura. It simply tells you the cooldown, buff time, who cast it, and if it's ready or not.

The aura won't work right out of the box and requires a bit of weak aura knowledge to work properly. You need to go into the fox icon itself and edit the "Trigger" section, where I've written PLAYER 1 NAME, PLAYER 2 NAME, PLAYER 3 NAME, just change to the name of the hunter you would like to track, make sure if you change player one to "Niix" you make sure you change the player 1 name for everything else to the same name or it will display incorrect information.

Here is a picture of the aura.

0OJqnDN.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the guide. Believe me when I say I've used it endlessly and to great success.

I haven't read all the replies though....so I hesitate to ask my question, but I need to know so here it is.

Is it beneficial to delay Rapid Fire until a boss or otherwise trash mob is below 80%(in some cases)? In essence, this seems to have the potential to increase up-time on Careful Aim depending on how long the fight lasts.

Sorry if this has been asked.

Thanks for the guide. Believe me when I say I've used it endlessly and to great success.

I haven't read all the replies though....so I hesitate to ask my question, but I need to know so here it is.

Is it beneficial to delay Rapid Fire until a boss or otherwise trash mob is below 80%(in some cases)? In essence, this seems to have the potential to increase up-time on Careful Aim depending on how long the fight lasts.

Sorry if this has been asked.

No, because you want Rapid Fire going while your trinket and weapon procs are going. Also, delaying Rapid Fire until after the boss drops below 80% means you are waiting 1 min - 2min, depending on the fight; time which could have been used on Rapid Fire's cooldown.  This means you will likely lose out on another Rapid Fire cast later in the fight, because of the delay.

Edited by Atrais

I'm all about playing nice with pubbies and not getting into anyone's business on how they want to play their character when I'm in a PUG, but I've seen way way too many dps in Highmaul doing sub 9k dps on a regular basis... I wish I had time to sit down with them all and sort it all out. sad.png

I don't expect the average joe to put out 95% of max sim DPS but I feel like they may be missing something vital to their class to be that low. 

I do point a lot of them here. :)

Edited by Flyntloch

Why is barrage suddenly way ahead of glaive toss in single target?  It used to be the opposite, and I didn't see either of those things get changed.

From my own napkin math it doesn't really make a heck of a lot of sense either.

Glaive toss has much higher DPS & Dmg/focus than Aimed shot without toth.  While Aimed shot has better Dmg/Focus than barrage, and near identical DPS.

What are you talking about? I have literally simmed this 15 minutes ago, GT is slightly ahead of Barrage.

What are you talking about? I have literally simmed this 15 minutes ago, GT is slightly ahead of Barrage.

I am an idiot.  I accidentally looked at the BM section...

Sorry about that.

Edited by Minigun

How close does Steady Focus sim against TotH?  I really dislike the randomness of TotH and I was curious if it was viable to take SF.

Edited by Ulgratron

How close does Steady Focus sim against TotH?  I really dislike the randomness of TotH and I was curious if it was viable to take SF.

In full mythic gear, the difference between the two is simmed to be 2k DPS, 39k vs 41k.

For my gear (647) the difference is only 400 DPS: 22k vs 22.4k

Overall, the difference seems to be within 2-5% DPS. 

EDIT: For some reason (probably a suboptimal action priority list) Steady Focus sims a lot lower than it should. For my gear, simcraft only managed to get 63% uptime on Steady Focus, while I'm sure a real player would be able to achieve >95% uptime easily. 

Edited by Iridar

EDIT: For some reason (probably a suboptimal action priority list) Steady Focus sims a lot lower than it should. For my gear, simcraft only managed to get 63% uptime on Steady Focus, while I'm sure a real player would be able to achieve >95% uptime easily. 

The problem is that keeping up SF requires 2x steady shots, where in order to keep >95% uptime you would be loosing dps by either 1) focus capping or 2) not casting a higher prioirty ability (chimaera shot, aimed shot, glaive toss) when you were to cast the second steady shot.  So while yes, getting >95% is possible, it is not optimal.

The problem is that keeping up SF requires 2x steady shots, where in order to keep >95% uptime you would be loosing dps by either 1) focus capping or 2) not casting a higher prioirty ability (chimaera shot, aimed shot, glaive toss) when you were to cast the second steady shot.  So while yes, getting >95% is possible, it is not optimal.

You'd be losing that DPS by keeping 100% uptime. 95% uptime accounts for SF dropping during Rapid Fire, which will happen even if you do double steady before Rapid Fire, and an occasional mistake.

It's not like we never delay shots with TotH either. My Chimaera often gets delayed by more than a second when I cast that 2.3 sec AiS. Even if I were to cast a Steady Shot instead of AiS in that situation, Chimaera  would still get delayed. Without the Arcane Shot we lost the convenient filler which we could use to sort of bridge the gap. But when our most commonly used abilities have 2 and 2.5 second base cast times, delaying Chimaera is inevitable. 

It's not like TotH can always be used perfectly either. At least SF doesn't make you a slave to RNG.

Even when cast on cooldown, Glaive Toss is a marginal DPS increase, so slightly delaying it shouldn't be a problem.

AiS is not a high priority outside of >80% HP on the boss. During >80% phase, true, it is possible that casting SS will deny you the ability to cast an additional AiS until the >80% phase is over, but that shouldn't be a huge DPS loss, it's just one AiS. 

With focus cap raised to 120, I don't think that capping on focus would be much of a problem. During MoP I did one full raid with Steady Focus, and I almost never overcapped, even though the focus cap was 100 back then. 

If you remember, I did some plateau calculations for MoP. In WoD, we have super low Haste levels.

For my 9% haste, I calculate two most commonly used sets of abilities:

1) 3x Steady Shot, 1x Aimed Shot, 1x Chimaera Shot. This costs 65-85 Focus, while regenerating 101 Focus. So basically as long as you're below 120 - 36 = 84 Focus after casting your last Chimaera, you can cast start casting this set.

Time: 9.25 seconds (Chimaera delayed by 0.25 secs)

2) 2x Steady Shot, 2x Aimed Shot, 1x Chimaera Shot. Cost: 95-135 (depending on AiS crit focus returns), regened: 87. As long as you have 135 - 87 = 48 Focus after casting your last Chimaera, you can start casting this set. 

Time: 8.8 seconds (you wait for Chimaera to come off cooldown for 0.2 seconds).

With the cap of 120, gaming these two sets shouldn't be a problem. 

---

I know this looks complicated, but it isn't, really. You always cast 2x SS and 1x AiS and 1x CS. The only difference is whether you cast an extra AiS, if you're high on focus, or extra SS if you're low.

During the kill shot phase, 2x Kill Shot just takes place of the first AiS, and you're still gaming on extra AiS or extra SS depending on Focus.

---

Glaive Toss sort of breaks this apart, but even never casting it is simmed as 300 DPS loss for me. Taking Barrage over it is a DPS loss of 100 compared to GT, and in these sets it just takes the place of one of the AiS, making the set a bit more Focus Negative. Or you can just save Barrage and use it later, when it will cleave to additional targets, making it a DPS increase over GT. 

Careful Aim (not rapid fire) phase just means you will use 2x SS, 2x AiS set more often due to AiS almost always returning focus. 

---

What is weird - I'm not sure what's changed. Previously, even with 100% uptime, SF couldn't catch up to TotH. Did the nerf do it?... 

Now SF is looking competitive, if not better, to TotH. 

Edited by Iridar

What is weird - I'm not sure what's changed. Previously, even with 100% uptime, SF couldn't catch up to TotH. Did the nerf do it?... 

Are you sure the increase in effectiveness isn't the result of added haste?

You'd be losing that DPS by keeping 100% uptime. 95% uptime accounts for SF dropping during Rapid Fire, which will happen even if you do double steady before Rapid Fire, and an occasional mistake.

It's not like we never delay shots with TotH either. My Chimaera often gets delayed by more than a second when I cast that 2.3 sec AiS. Even if I were to cast a Steady Shot instead of AiS in that situation, Chimaera  would still get delayed. Without the Arcane Shot we lost the convenient filler which we could use to sort of bridge the gap. But when our most commonly used abilities have 2 and 2.5 second base cast times, delaying Chimaera is inevitable. 

It's not like TotH can always be used perfectly either. At least SF doesn't make you a slave to RNG.

Even when cast on cooldown, Glaive Toss is a marginal DPS increase, so slightly delaying it shouldn't be a problem.

AiS is not a high priority outside of >80% HP on the boss. During >80% phase, true, it is possible that casting SS will deny you the ability to cast an additional AiS until the >80% phase is over, but that shouldn't be a huge DPS loss, it's just one AiS. 

With focus cap raised to 120, I don't think that capping on focus would be much of a problem. During MoP I did one full raid with Steady Focus, and I almost never overcapped, even though the focus cap was 100 back then. 

If you remember, I did some plateau calculations for MoP. In WoD, we have super low Haste levels.

For my 9% haste, I calculate two most commonly used sets of abilities:

1) 3x Steady Shot, 1x Aimed Shot, 1x Chimaera Shot. This costs 65-85 Focus, while regenerating 101 Focus. So basically as long as you're below 120 - 36 = 84 Focus after casting your last Chimaera, you can cast start casting this set.

Time: 9.25 seconds (Chimaera delayed by 0.25 secs)

2) 2x Steady Shot, 2x Aimed Shot, 1x Chimaera Shot. Cost: 95-135 (depending on AiS crit focus returns), regened: 87. As long as you have 135 - 87 = 48 Focus after casting your last Chimaera, you can start casting this set. 

Time: 8.8 seconds (you wait for Chimaera to come off cooldown for 0.2 seconds).

With the cap of 120, gaming these two sets shouldn't be a problem. 

---

I know this looks complicated, but it isn't, really. You always cast 2x SS and 1x AiS and 1x CS. The only difference is whether you cast an extra AiS, if you're high on focus, or extra SS if you're low.

During the kill shot phase, 2x Kill Shot just takes place of the first AiS, and you're still gaming on extra AiS or extra SS depending on Focus.

---

Glaive Toss sort of breaks this apart, but even never casting it is simmed as 300 DPS loss for me. Taking Barrage over it is a DPS loss of 100 compared to GT, and in these sets it just takes the place of one of the AiS, making the set a bit more Focus Negative. Or you can just save Barrage and use it later, when it will cleave to additional targets, making it a DPS increase over GT. 

Careful Aim (not rapid fire) phase just means you will use 2x SS, 2x AiS set more often due to AiS almost always returning focus. 

---

The difference in DPS is that you're casting more of Steady Shot and less of Aimed Shot, where Aimed Shot is doing ~4.5-5x the damage of Steady Shot.  Yes you get the extra focus generation which can be much needed, but you're inherently doing less dps by casting lower dps abilities.  There's also the fact that you can't always the necessarily focus when SF is about to fall off.

Eh.. Wouldn't call that love really.

The Survival one is pretty weak, but the Improved FF is ~15% extra AP during FF, seems pretty decent, we'll see what the sims say after it updates

The Survival one is pretty weak, but the Improved FF is ~15% extra AP during FF, seems pretty decent, we'll see what the sims say after it updates

Yeah I'm waiting to see updated sims

LETS THE SIMS BEGIN... please save me from marks simlords.

These buffs wont save you from marks. Hate to break it to you.

These buffs wont save you from marks. Hate to break it to you.

Really? Serpent sting is 10% of SV's dps so shouldn't it put it slightly under MM by only a few hundred dps?