Mage PvP Gear Guide
On this page, we will go over the Phase 5 best in slot gear for Mages in PvP.
PvP Best in Slot List for Mages
This is our recommended gear for PvPing as a Mage. This gear list is closely in line with the PVP theorycrafting of Finx (ktmfinx#8286 on Discord) from the Mage Discord and will maximize your chances in World PvP and Battlegrounds, although ultimately the outcome will result from your skill and that of your group.
You can learn more about how to leverage your unique skills in the Frost and Fire Mage PvP guides below:
You only need 3% Spell Hit to be capped in PvP, so we will not value Spell Hit highly when considering the suggested items.
Using PvP gear with Resilience is generally the way to go, but it can be useful to use some PvE items for increased DPS, especially if you have access to strong raid gear and no Gladiator gear for that slot. The benefit of Spell Haste needs to be re-evaluated during S4, so this list might change a little bit. However, it is considered to be the best option in the gear slots the list suggests Spell Haste for.
Any piece you lack from the best in slot list below can be temporarily replaced by Blue, Season 1, Season 2 or Season 3-quality PVP gear or whatever questing or crafted gear you have. From Phase 5 on, the Season 3 gear is buyable for T6 tokens from The Black Temple and Mount Hyjal.
In case you want to compare this list with the Mage PvE Best in Slot lists, feel free to check out the link below!
Best Gems for Mage in PvP
As a Mage, you should look to use Chaotic Skyfire Diamond to increase your damage output in battle, Forceful Seaspray Emerald in Blue or Yellow sockets (you need two of these to activate your Meta gem), Quick Lionseye in Yellow sockets, and Reckless Pyrestone in Red sockets. Forceful Talasite, Quick Dawnstone, and Reckless Noble Topaz are the low-budget alternatives to these Epic-quality gems.
Best Enchants for PvP Mage
|Head||Glyph of Power from The Sha'tar Revered.|
|Shoulders||Greater Inscription of the Orb or Greater Inscription of Discipline depending on your choice of Scryers or Aldor.|
|Back||Enchant Cloak - Spell Penetration|
|Chest||Enchant Chest - Major Resilience|
|Wrists||Enchant Bracer - Spellpower|
|Gloves||Enchant Gloves - Major Spellpower|
|Feet||Enchant Boots - Boar's Speed|
|Rings||Enchant Ring - Spellpower|
Mage PvP Guide
We hope this guide was helpful for your PvP exploits! Feel free to check out the general Mage PvP guide as well in the link down below.
- 08 May 2022: Updated for Phase 5.
- 21 Mar. 2022: Page updated for Phase 4.
- 15 Feb. 2022: Small tweak to weapon enchant recommendations.
- 14 Jan. 2022: Page updated for Phase 3.
- 08 Sep. 2021: Updated for Phase 2.
- 02 Aug. 2021: Guide created.
- The Battle.net Social Celebration Contest
- Season of Mastery Will Have Transfers to WotLK Classic and Classic Era Available
- Building Azeroth: Wrath of the Lich King
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Beta Development Notes: June 29th
- Blizzard Entertainment Acquires Spellbreak Development Studio Proletariat
- Level 70 Character Boost Coming in Wrath Classic?
- Wrath of the Lich King Quest Tracking Features Will Be in Classic
- In-Game Preview of the Dungeon Finder in Wrath Classic
- Healing Druids (Moonglow/NG) - Crit Chance
- Jolteon 1 - Pendulum of DOOM PvP - Level 39 BiS Enhancement Shaman TBC
- Jailer is in ICC!
- Icy Veins Talent Sequence Addon
- Shaman Tank comprehensive guide - Learn how to master World of Warcraft Classic Season of Mastery as a proficient Shaman Tank
- Melee Hunter Guide - Playing World of Warcraft as a Melee Hunter
- A-Whitemane-OHANA 8/10
- Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank