Teron Gorefiend Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Teron Gorefiend is the fourth boss you will encounter in Black Temple. The Teron Gorefiend encounter has a large amount of personal responsibility, requiring the entire raid to properly understand the mechanics. Check out the info below to be as ready as possible for this fight.
Teron Gorefiend is the fourth boss you will encounter in the Black Temple. Teron Gorefiend is a somewhat easy fight with that requires a large amount of personal responsibility from all raid members. This fight has high tank damage and a few soft-enrage mechanics.
Role-Specific Tips for Teron Gorefiend
Stack up at the designated spot. This fight has very high tank damage, so be healing the tank constantly at all times. If your class is able to, make sure to dispel any and all Incinerates that go out. There is very little raid damage that goes out, but this increases the longer the fight goes.
Stack up at the designated spot. Watch your threat early on until threat is established. This fight is very straightforward for DPS; simply do not pull aggro and do as much damage as possible.
Position the boss at the predetermined location. This boss hits fairly hard, so you will want to wear somewhat tanky gear with a mixture of some threat gear. Be ready with any cooldowns available to you as it is easy to get "burst down" and die in only a few seconds.
Teron Gorefiend Abilities
- Crushing Shadows — Cast on five random raid members and applies a 15-second debuff which increases Shadow damage taken by 60%.
- Incinerate — Cast on a random target and does 2,775 to 3,225 Fire damage on impact. It also applies a debuff to the target which does an additional 8,325 Fire damage over three seconds, but can be dispelled.
- Summon Doom Blossom — A dark cloud appears that casts Shadow Bolts for 1,900 Shadow damage at random targets. Multiple will spawn constantly throughout the fight.
- Shadow of Death — Cast every 30 seconds on a random target and applies a debuff which kills the target after 55 seconds. When the target dies, four Shadowy Constructs spawn at the target's corpse and the target turns into a Ghost for 60 seconds.
Strategy for Teron Gorefiend
Pulling the Boss
Pulling Teron Gorefiend is very straightforward: simply have a Hunter Misdirection the boss to the tank, or have the tank walk up and engage the boss. Drag the boss to the stack location and stack up wherever the raid is assigned to stack.
Teron Gorefiend is a easy boss, only having one phase. Keep the tanks alive, dispel any Incinerates that go out and watch your threat. The main threat of this boss is the Shadow of Death that is cast on a random raid member. After dying with this debuff on you, you will turn into a Vengeful Spirit and have unique abilities to deal with the Shadowy Constructs that are also spawned:
Vengeful Spirit Abilities
- Spirit Lance — On "Key #3" is a ranged attack which deals about 6,500 damage and reduces the target's movement speed by 30% for 9 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.
- Spirit Chains — On "Key #4" is a short range AoE shackle, similar to a Mage's Frost Nova, which deals 2,000 damage to any Shadowy Constructs within 12 yards and roots them in place for 5 seconds. It has a 15-second cooldown.
- Spirit Volley — On "Key #5" is a short range AoE that deals 9,900 to 12,100 damage to any nearby Shadowy Constructs. It has a 15-second cooldown.
- Spirit Strike — On "Key #1" is a standard melee attack, dealing low damage and reducing damage dealt by the target by 10%. This can only be used on Teron Gorefiend himself.
- Spirit Shield — On "Key #7" buffs a friendly target with a shield that absorbs 11,400 to 12,600 Shadow damage.
Shadowy Construct Abilities
- Shadowy Constructs are immune to all damage, except for damage dealt by the Vengeful Spirits.
- Atrophy — On melee attacks, reduces target's attack and casting speed by 5%, stacking up to 10 times.
After you die with the Shadow of Death, you will turn into a Vengeful Spirit and need to deal with the Shadowy Constructs. The main rotation you will want to focus on executing is "Key #5 > Key #4 > Key #3". It's important to note that these "Keys" are referring to the default action bars and these may change depending on your keybind settings, and may also show up on a different bar, such as pet bar, depending on your UI setup.
Stay near the Shadowy Constructs and use Spirit Volley on cooldown. Follow it up with a Spirit Chains to root all of the constructs in place. Then cycle through each construct and use Spirit Lance. The slow from Spirit Lance stacks up to 3 times, so make sure to cycle through each mob to evenly spread the slow and keep the debuff applied.
Everyone in the raid needs to understand the ghosts' abilities and be able to kill their own Shadowy Constructs, as they are immune to all damage except damage from the player-controlled ghosts. If players learn and understand how the ghost works, this fight is very straightforward and offers no real difficulty. Check out the link below for a Teron Gorefiend ghost mini-game that was remade for TBC Classic to help practice:
Teron Gorefiend Loot
|Rifle of the Stoic Guardian||Ranged Weapon||Gun|
|Twisted Blades of Zarak||Ranged Weapon||Thrown|
|Botanist's Gloves of Growth||Leather||Hands|
|Cowl of Benevolence||Cloth||Head|
|Gauntlets of Enforcement||Plate||Hands|
|Girdle of Lordaeron's Fallen||Plate||Waist|
|Robe of the Shadow Council||Cloth||Chest|
|Shadowmoon Destroyer's Drape||Accessory||Back|
|Softstep Boots of Tracking||Feet|
|Soul Cleaver||Weapon||Two-Hand Axe|
|Totem of Ancestral Guidance||Relic||Totem|
Other Black Temple Guides
If you were looking for a full guide for the Black Temple raid, or would like to know what specializations the loot from Teron Gorefiend should be prioritized to, see the links below.
- 29 Dec. 2021: Guide added.
- Wrath Classic Patch 3.4.2 PTR Notes: May 18th
- Death Heat Map for Hardcore Characters and Their Killers
- BlizzCon 2023 in Coming on Nov 3-4
- Blizzard Announces Hardcore Classic
- Icy Veins is Getting a New Look
- Wrath Classic 3.4.2 PTR Schedule
- Official Support for Hardcore Classic Realms Coming Soon?
- New Sons of Hodir Tabard to Be Added to Wrath Classic