Jan'alai Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Jan'alai is the third boss you will encounter in Zul'Aman. This fight requires high movement from the entire raid to avoid multiple different area attacks. Check out our in-depth guide below to prepare as much as possible for your encounter with Jan'alai.
Jan'alai is the third boss you will encounter in Zul'Aman. This fight requires high movement from the entire raid to avoid multiple different area attacks. Be sure to read up on the mechanics below to properly handle this boss.
- Flame Breath — Cone type attack the deals 4,000 to 5,000 damage to a random enemy and any nearby allies.
- Fire Bomb — Periodically teleports the raid on top of him and puts Fire Walls around his platform, preventing you from leaving the area. Bombs then begin spawning around the room in random locations, detonating after a 10 second delay, dealing high Fire damage to all nearby enemies.
- Summon Amani'shi Hatcher — Shortly after the fight begins, and every 90 seconds after that, summons 2 Amani'shi Hatchers into the fight. These split up and run to each bridge, casting Hatch Eggs when they reach the end of the bridge, spawning Amani Dragonhawk Hatchling with each cast, doubling each time.
- Hatch All Eggs — When Jan'alai reaches 35% health, he will hatch all remaining eggs.
- Enrage — When Jan'alai reaches 20%, or after 5 minutes in combat, he will enrage, increasing his attack speed and melee damage by 50%.
- Flame Buffet — Deals 462 to 538 damage to current target and applies a debuff to them, increasing fire damage taken by 3% per stack, up to 100 stacks. Can be dispelled.
Strategy for Jan'alai
Pulling the Boss
No special tactic is needed to pull Jan'alai, simply have a Hunter Misdirection the boss to the tank, or let the tank walk up and engage the boss. After pulling, allow the tank to position the boss and start building a threat lead. Spread around the platform to reduce the raids damage taken. Be aware of your positioning at all times and avoid standing on the bridges and at the entrance and exits of the platform.
After spreading around the platform, start DPSing the boss. Be aware of your threat throughout the fight, as you will be teleported into melee range of the boss constantly, changing your threat range from 130% down to 110% if you are a ranged DPS, making it much easier to pull aggro.
After getting teleported to the boss, Fire Bombs will spawn all over the room, exploding after a few seconds, dealing high damage to enemies hit. Place your camera above your character looking down, giving you an bird's eye view of the platform, allowing you to find a safe spot where there are no bombs and you can avoid damage. Try to avoid stacking up too much during this, as the Flame Breath will still continue to hit random targets and any nearby allies.
Dealing with Dragonhawks
Early into the fight, 2 Amani'shi Hatchers will spawn and run to each bridge separately. When they reach the end of the bridge, they will begin to Hatch Eggs at the end of the bridge, spawning Amani Dragonhawk Hatchlings periodically. At first, one egg will be hatched on each side, followed by two, then three and so on till there are no more eggs left.
It is recommended to kill one of the two Amani'shi Hatchers and allow the second to hatch the eggs. Allow your tank to get some threat on the adds as they spawn before you start to damage them. Depending on your group composition, you may want to cleave them down right away, or if you are AoE caster heavy, you may wish to let all of the Dragonhawks hatch on one side before AoEing them down.
Most likely you will damage Jan'alai down below 35% before the next set of Amani'shi Hatchers, causing Jan'alai to cast Hatch All Eggs. Any remaining eggs will hatch, spawning all remaining Dragonhawks at once. If you allowed one add through, this means the other side of eggs will all hatch at once. Use any slows you have to help your tank pick these newly spawned adds up and then quickly AoE them down.
Role-Specific Tips for Jan'alai
This fight can have very high healing requirements if played improperly, as there is tons of avoidable raid damage. Random raid members will periodically take damage that can not be avoided, so make sure to keep the raid topped up. Tanks can also take high burst damage while tanking multiple Amani Dragonhawk Hatchlings or while Jan'alai is below 20% and Enrage is active.
Similar to Akil'zon, you will want to spread around the platform, avoiding standing near other raid members. Melee DPS will want to split up from each other to avoid taking too much area damage. Wait for threat to be established on the Amani Dragonhawk Hatchlings while the tanks gather them. Avoid bombs whenever they spawn while remaining spread out.
Keep the boss tanked in the center of the platform. There is no special strategy needed for tanking Jan'alai himself, simply stay ahead on threat and keep him in the center of the platform. The main tanking challenge of the fight is picking up the Amani Dragonhawk Hatchlings as they spawn. Avoid going onto the bridges to avoid the Fire Wall, as this massive DoT will most likely kill you. Have the raid use any slows available on the Dragonhawks, such as Earthbind Totem or Frost Trap, to help you kite the adds and build threat on them.
|Helm of Natural Regeneration||Leather||Head|
|Wub's Cursed Hexblade||Weapon||Main-hand Dagger|
|Bulwark of the Amani Empire||Off-hand||Shield|
|Footpads of Madness||Cloth||Feet|
|Shadowtooth Trollskin Cuirass||Leather||Chest|
|Enamelled Disc of Mojo||Off-hand||Shield|
|Formula: Enchant Weapon - Executioner||Formula||Enchanting|
Third Timed Chest Loot
|Signet of Eternal Life||Accessory||Finger|
|Signet of the Last Defender||Accessory||Finger|
|Signet of the Quiet Forest||Accessory||Finger|
|Mana Attuned Band||Accessory||Finger|
|Signet of Primal Wrath||Accessory||Finger|
Other Tier 6 Guides
If you were looking for a full guide for the Zul'Aman raid, see the links below:
You may also be interested in progressing through the other raids of Tier 6, such as Hyjal Summit and Black Temple. As such, we recommend you check out our guides for those raids as well!
- 20 Mar. 2022: Guide added.
- Wrath Classic Patch 3.4.2 PTR Notes: May 18th
- Death Heat Map for Hardcore Characters and Their Killers
- BlizzCon 2023 in Coming on Nov 3-4
- Blizzard Announces Hardcore Classic
- Icy Veins is Getting a New Look
- Wrath Classic 3.4.2 PTR Schedule
- Official Support for Hardcore Classic Realms Coming Soon?
- New Sons of Hodir Tabard to Be Added to Wrath Classic