Flame Leviathan Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Overview of Flame Leviathan in Wrath of the Lich King Classic
Flame Leviathan is the first encounter in Ulduar and is entirely different than any other fight in the raid. The majority of this fight takes place with players fighting in vehicles. It is important to note that vehicles in Wrath of the Lich King scale with the player's item level controlling them. This was implemented to allow players' gear to benefit them still. At the same time, they control a vehicle instead of casting their regular spells. Ideally, you will want the best-geared players to control the most important vehicles and work your way down. In this area, four towers enable this encounters hard mode. Players can leave as many towers up as desired to increase the fight's difficulty, or you may destroy any number of the towers to make the fight easier. The more towers you leave up, the more difficult the fight will be and the better the rewards.
Flame Leviathan Vehicle Specific Tips and Jobs
Salvaged Siege Engine Driver Tips
- Your main purpose is to interrupt the deadly Flame Vents cast with your Electroshock.
- Save your Steam Rush in case you are being Pursued by Flame Leviathan.
- Try to get as much damage as you safely can with Ram.
Salvaged Siege Engine Turret Tips
- Your main job is to shoot down Blue Pyrite barrels and air-born enemies with your Anti-Air Rocket. Focus mostly on dealing with enemies in the air.
- Save your Shield Generator for when you are being Pursued by Flame Leviathan.
- Focus largely on keeping plenty of Blue Pyrite barrels on the ground for your Demolishers as they deal most of this fight's damage.
Salvaged Demolisher Driver Tips
- Staying alive and protecting your Salvaged Demolisher is crucial as this vehicle is the main source of damage.
- Always fully maintain your Blue Pyrite stacks with Hurl Pyrite Barrel. Communicate with your passenger when you need more Pyrite, and be sure to drive around available barrels so you can sustain your DPS stacks. This is the majority of your damage.
- You will want to Throw Passenger your passenger on top of Flame Leviathan to attack the exposed Leviathan Defense Turrets on top of Flame Leviathan. This will cause a Systems Shutdown for Flame Leviathan, causing it to be stunned and take 50% increased damage for 20 seconds.
Salvaged Demolisher Turret Tips
- Your main job will be to collect Blye Pyrite barrels for your drive with your Grab Crate ability. Communicate with your driver if you have no barrels in range as it is crucial to keep a constant supply of Pyrite incoming.
- Your second job is to shoot down Blue Pyrite barrels and air-born enemies with your Anti-Air Rocket.
- Save the Increased Speed ability for absolute emergencies; only use this ability if you would otherwise be in range of being attacked, as it costs precious Pyrite to use.
- Ideally, you will only allow ranged DPS to operate the Demolisher Turrets as they can Load into Catapult and be launched with Throw Passenger on top of Flame Leviathan to directly attack his Leviathan Defense Turrets.
Salvaged Chopper Tips
- The choppers have minimal offensive capabilities, making them mostly used as support vehicles.
- Your main focus will be to slow enemies down with Tar. This tar may also be set on fire to deal damage to enemies standing in the puddle.
- You will also be picking up the people that were launched on top of Flame Leviathan to attack his Leviathan Defense Turrets. Make sure to use First Aid Kit to quickly heal these players so they can return to their jobs.
Flame Leviathan Abilities
Flame Leviathan Vehicle Abilities
- Salvaged Siege Engine
- Salvaged Siege Turret
- Salvaged Demolisher
- Salvaged Demolisher Mechanic Seat
Strategy for Flame Leviathan
You must talk with Brann Bronzebeard to start this fight. You will need to fight through a gauntlet of weaker Dwarves and destroy the towers they are spawning from while making your way through to the giant gates in the background.
Every 30 seconds Flame Leviathan will target a Salvaged Siege Engine or Salvaged Demolisher and Pursued them around the room. This vehicle must kite Flame Leviathan around while avoiding being hit and not kiting him away from other player vehicles. Flame Leviathan will gradually build up stacks of Gathering Speed, increasing how quickly it can move and chase down players. Utilize the Tar from the Salvaged Choppers to slow down the boss, as well as the respective vehicles' movement abilities.
On top of Flame Leviathan are four Leviathan Defense Turrets. These turrets can be attacked and destroyed, and doing so will cause the turret to Overload Circuit. Destroying all four of the turrets will completely overload Flame Leviathan, causing a Systems Shutdown, stunning the boss for 20 seconds and increasing its damage taken by 50% for the duration. While stunned, Flame Leviathan will lose its stacks of Gathering Speed, making it easier to kite around for a while. You will want to kill these turrets are frequently as possible to benefit from the 50% damage increase, reset the boss's movement speed, and generally have a few seconds of breathing time while you beat on the stunned boss.
Roughly every 20 seconds, Flame Leviathan will start casting Flame Vents, dealing serious Fire damage to all nearby enemies. Drivers of the Salvaged Siege Engines must use their Electroshock ability to interrupt this as quickly as possible. Remember that Electroshock has a shorter range than the Flame Vents, so make sure you are close enough to Flame Leviathan that it will get interrupted.
Flame Leviathan Hardmode Strategy
Instead of speaking with Brann Bronzebeard to start the Flame Leviathan encounter, you will instead want to speak with Lore Keeper of Norgannon, who will start the encounters before the gauntlet but also activate all four defense towers surrounding the boss room. Each tower left alive will increase the fight's difficulty, adding new mechanics to worry about and additional health. Depending on how many towers you choose to leave up with determine the quality and quantity of loot dropped by Flame Leviathan upon its defeat.
With the active towers, the fight will mostly play out the same way, with much more health. The Tower of Flames, Tower of Frost and Tower of Storms will constantly spawn in beams of light and orbs that will land around the room in different areas. Avoid the beams, and be sure to move out of any landing orbs to avoid their damage. The Tower of Life will periodically spawn in waves of plant enemies that should be quickly dealt with.
Flame Leviathan Hardmode Tower Abilities
This fight will start with four towers in the area, granting numerous buffs and new abilities during the encounter with the boss. You may destroy these towers before fighting Flame Leviathan to make the fight much more straightforward. The more buildings that remain active when the boss is defeated will increase the amount of loot you earn, similar to the Sartharion three Drake fight. The unique benefits and difficulty of each tower are listed below:
Flame Leviathan Loot
Flame Leviathan 10-Player Normal Loot
|Lifespark Visage||Cloth Helm|
|Might of the Leviathan||Necklace|
|Firestrider Chestguard||Mail Chest|
|Combustion Bracers||Cloth Wrist|
|Flamewatch Armguards||Plate Wrist|
|Ironsoul||Two Hand Mace|
|Firesoul||Main Hand Sword|
|Kinetic Ripper||Off Hand Fist|
Flame Leviathan 10-Player Hardmode Loot
|Mantle of Fiery Vengeance||Mail Shoulder|
|Handguards of Potent Cures||Leather Hands|
|Gilded Steel Legplates||Plate Legs|
Flame Leviathan 25-Player Normal Loot
|Steamworker's Goggles||Mail Head|
|Iron Riveted War Helm||Plate Head|
|Freya's Choker of Warding||Necklace|
|Mechanist's Bindings||Leather Wrist|
|Mimiron's Inferno Couplings||Plate Wrist|
|Constructor's Handwraps||Cloth Hands|
|Gloves of the Fiery Behemoth||Mail Hands|
|Embrace of the Leviathan||Cloth Waist|
|Glowing Ring of Reclamation||Finger|
|Strength of the Automaton||Finger|
|The Leviathan's Coil||Finger|
|Titanguard||One Hand Sword|
|Leviathan Fueling Manual||Off Hand|
|Fragment of Val'anyr||Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings|
Flame Leviathan 25-Player Hardmode Loot
|Pendant of Fiery Havoc||Necklace|
|Shoulderpads of Dormant Energies||Leather Shoulder|
|Plated Leggings of Ruination||Plate Legs|
|Boots of Fiery Resolution||Cloth Feet|
|Golden Saronite Dragon||Main Hand Fist|
Flame Leviathan is just one of the 14 encounters present in the Ulduar raid of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. If you would like to learn more about the other fights and their respective loot, please see our Ulduar Raid Hub page below.
- 18 Jan. 2023: Page added.
- Nightmarish Emerald Drake Briefly Appears on Wrath Classic 3.4.3 PTR
- A New Round of Layoffs at Blizzard
- Extremely Dramatic Mass-Death in Classic Hardcore Zul'Gurub
- Classic Hardcore First Month Death Clip Compilation
- Level 50 Hardcore Character Killed by Level 6 Mobs
- Hardcore Bank Alts Griefed in Capital Cities by Spawning Mobs
- Blizzard Working on Fixing EU Hardcore Server Lag, But Be Careful
- Classic Era Known Issues List: A Deadly Ouro Bug