Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0rinda

hearthstone Ben Brode's Comments on Ladder and Demons

6 posts in this topic

44Pk4lw.jpg

Senior Game Designer Ben Brode has been very active on social media in the last week. He has addressed a couple of points that have been made on Twitter and Reddit, both of which are interesting as we start the build up towards whatever the next expansion will be.

Brode responded to a question on Reddit about the lack of Demon synergy in Whispers of the Old Gods, and the state of Warlock in general.

Blizzard LogoBen Brode

Renolock is pretty solid. No demons in WotOG was a flavor decision that I think went over the head of most players, maybe that was a mistake. There are more demons coming, it's core to the kit of Warlock. (Source)

This is interesting to me for two reasons. Firstly, it seems to be a pretty definitive statement that there are more demons already designed and ready to go. Hopefully this means that the next expansion is nearing completion. We are over two months into this meta now, which is usually about the time for the first clues as to the next steps the game is going to take. Secondly, I find it interesting on a flavour level that the design team did not want Old Gods to be in the same set as demons. 

As always, Brode has replied to many questions on Twitter. This one in particular caught the eye.

Placeholder for tweet 747636501261885440

Having to re-grind Legend each season has long been a point of discussion, but as it impacts a relatively small percentage of players, it has been a low priority issue until now. There are many things that Blizzard could do differently, but my opinion is that there could be another tier (or even two) above Legend, which if reached, means you start at Legend the following season.

If you have any thoughts on improving ladder, or on why demons and Old Gods cannot coexist, feel free to discuss those in the comments below.

1 person likes this

Demons and old gods likely can't coexist because of what caused the formation of the burning legion in the first place. Sargeras formed it to eradicate all life and prevent the old gods from corrupting any more worlds.

2 people like this

If we put lore aside. Then the main problem of the Warlocks become fact that they practicaly dont use class cards. Zoolocks have 5 or 6 class cards thats all others are neutrals. Renolock is in a better shape considering card usage but also does not reflect Warlock theme. And this is becoming a problem. Adding here decent demon design and the absence of new demon cards hinders the usage of Warlock demon buff cards which also bring players to use those Zoolock, Leeroy decks.

1 person likes this

On ‎2‎.‎7‎.‎2016 at 10:17 AM, Dantalian said:

If we put lore aside. Then the main problem of the Warlocks become fact that they practicaly dont use class cards. Zoolocks have 5 or 6 class cards thats all others are neutrals. Renolock is in a better shape considering card usage but also does not reflect Warlock theme. And this is becoming a problem. Adding here decent demon design and the absence of new demon cards hinders the usage of Warlock demon buff cards which also bring players to use those Zoolock, Leeroy decks.

Generally, over half of zoo is class cards. Forbidden Ritual, Voidwalker, Flame Imp, Possessed Villager, Power Overwhelming, Mortal Coil, SoulfireReliquary Seeker, Dark Peddler, Wrathguard, Tiny Knight of Evil (discard zoo), Darkshire Councilman and many more are present in various zoo builds.

Posted (edited)

I have FTP accounts on the Euro and Asia servers, and ladder seems way too difficult at around rank 20.  I'm playing budget decks and it seems like about two thirds of my opponents are playing legendary decks, which leaves me stuck at rank 20.  I don't think that I'm just a crap player: there is a difference in quality between, say, a Hunter who can afford to have Call of the Wild in their deck, and one who cannot.  It makes ladder incredibly frustrating to even attempt when you keep getting knocked back by uber-decks that supposedly belong at a much better rank.

Another bugbear of mine is the golden hero after 500 ranked wins.  I play this game in quite a lot of my spare time, but I like to play all the heroes, and all the modes, so even on my main account I have only 515 ranked wins across all the classes after a year of play.  It seems like an utterly unattainable goal unless I exclusively play one class, all the time in ranked, all the time.  How about a Bronze Hero for 100 wins, and a Silver Hero for 300?  Something to build up to.  I'd still be 6 wins short of bronze for my closest class, but it would make it fun to try for.

While I'm whining, I might as well add that I think the levels go up way too slowly: it's another thing where if I exclusively played one class, I might see the benefit.  As it is, I can play what seems to me like a marathon of a game - all the way to card burn - and all I get for my efforts on the level-o-meter is an ant fart on the Richter scale.  "You gained 0.5% towards the next level for 30 minutes of play!  Whoop-dee-doo!  Insert another coin."

Edited by mimech
I had put "their" instead of "there". Made me twitch.
1 person likes this

Something I've found that helps with my FTP account is to get something, anything, to level 20 and use Brawl to get packs, exp, and complete quests.

MOST, Brawls these days are pretty good equalisers. Concentrate your main efforts on the account that you feel opens good packs first.