L0rinda

hearthstone Card Reveals: Prince Malchazaar, Protect the King, and Kara Kazham!

16 posts in this topic

nmT7jUv.jpg

Three more cards from One Night in Kharazan have been revealed. They are Prince Malkazaar, Protect the King, and Kara Kazham! This brings the number of cards revealed so far to fourteen.

Prince Malchezaar brings a new mechanic to the game. At the start of the game you add five extra Legendary minions to your deck. His shape, 5/6 for five mana, is reasonable, and therefore if he's to be playable the effect doesn't need to be fantastic. In general though, messing with the deck you have put together by adding a random element is not a good idea. It is a card that might be tested instead of Elise Starseeker for control mirror matches, but it is likely that such decks will be too inconsistent against aggressive decks to be successful in a fast meta.

hgrM3FR.png

Protect the King seems to be below the power curve as healing spells go. I feel that this card will not see much play unless it finds synergy with other cards.  A combo with a card such as Bolster doesn't seem very efficient at this time.

Kara Kazham! is roughly the same as Force of Nature in terms of power level, which would make it a little below the cutoff for playable cards. However, as it is in Warlock, it has to be looked at carefully. It will have good synergy with cards in Zoo, and would be a way to recover a board after a wipeout. With much of the deck being reliant on having minions of any kind on board, I would expect this to at least be tested in Zoo when it is released.

Previous reveals:

Moroes and Book Wyrm: here

Babbling Book and Malchezaar's Imp: here

First seven cards here

Candle-broom-teapot-lock deck incoming, On a serious note, it feels to be too expensive for zoo, as it would be the one of the most expensive cards in the deck together with Doomguard. It could go in place of Forbidden Ritual, as it is better against further AoE clears, but has worse synergy with other zoo cards, and is way less flexible.
I already see Prince Malchezaar giving me Nat Pagles, Nat, the Darkfishers, Lorewalker Chos and similar trash legendary cards to simply deny my draws. Elise Starseeker and Ysera will stay as the best win conditions for fatigue deck. I might be wrong though, time will show.

Malchezaar is a clear candidate for "Randuin" decks, at least. Would also be a nice pick in arena.

Protect the King is... weird. It could stall you the board for the extra turn you need, or as sacrificial fuel for an Armorsmith/Frothing Berserker, but it looks too situational to be reliable.

Posted (edited)

Malchezaar & The Curator can break any arena. Luckily they are legendary so no need to worry that much.

The portal instead is common, so every time you start an arena and don't get mage, well, you're screwed :)

It will be like some time ago, pass 3 or 4 wins, you'd face only paladins. (or really OP decks)

Edited by DonKeyShot

1 hour ago, DonKeyShot said:

Malchezaar & The Curator can break any arena. Luckily they are legendary so no need to worry that much.

The portal instead is common, so every time you start an arena and don't get mage, well, you're screwed :)

It will be like some time ago, pass 3 or 4 wins, you'd face only paladins. (or really OP decks)

It will be like if you go past 5 wins and you face something that's not a Mage you're gonna feel the terror...

Aside arena, don't feel strongly about reveals right now, it's early to judge but as it stands now I'd get more value buying BrM.

Prince Malchezaar seems like a fun card to play random matches, especially because the mechanic pops every game, and you don't have to draw + play it, to get the legendaries.

However I don't see it being reliable on ladder, so I won't actively seek it by crafting it, but it won't be dusted if found in a pack either.

I quite like the look of both spells but I doubt the Prince will see much use outside of fun decks.

1 hour ago, Tectonn said:

Prince Malchezaar seems like a fun card to play random matches, especially because the mechanic pops every game, and you don't have to draw + play it, to get the legendaries.

However I don't see it being reliable on ladder, so I won't actively seek it by crafting it, but it won't be dusted if found in a pack either.

It's an adventure, so you will get all the expansion cards for beating bosses and completing class challenges.

3 hours ago, DonKeyShot said:

Rogue, Mage and Paladin have been the best arena classes for a while, so we should wait and see what Rogue class cards are.

Btw, my top class in arena (since Goblins vs. Gnomes) is Rogue. 7 wins on average, and the only class I did 12-0 with.
Hopefully, will still be strong in Karazhan arena.

1 hour ago, Esmer said:

It's an adventure, so you will get all the expansion cards for beating bosses and completing class challenges.

Right! Absolutely slipped my mind :) 

Great now I won't have to spend my hard earned gold on packs! I can spend them on the adventure...

@TectonnActually, Prince Malchezaar will be free of charge, as he will be in the first, free wing. You will need to spend gold only on the other bosses.

1 hour ago, positiv2 said:

@TectonnActually, Prince Malchezaar will be free of charge, as he will be in the first, free wing. You will need to spend gold only on the other bosses.

I don't think I would be able to skip out on a wing just to save 700 gold, so where ever they put the malchezaar, I will get it eventually ;)

I think the Prince is excellent, wait until fatigue then cast him to delay fatigue for five turns, as well as gain card advantage. Pretty solid card. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, YourGod said:

I think the Prince is excellent, wait until fatigue then cast him to delay fatigue for five turns, as well as gain card advantage. Pretty solid card. 

Malchezaar adds five cards to your deck when the game starts, not when you cast him. It's not a battlecry. It will delay fatigue, yes, but not on command; nor will you be able to set up to draw the five Legendaries in a row by waiting for fatigue.

Edited by Keizoku
Native French playing parts when writing in English. Should be easier to understand now.

On 8/3/2016 at 0:16 PM, Keizoku said:

Malchezaar adds five cards to your deck when the game starts, not when you cast him. It's not a battlecry. It will delay fatigue, yes, but not on command; nor will you be able to set up to draw the five Legendaries in a row by waiting for fatigue.

So you could tell if someone has Malchezaar in their deck just by counting their cards. Interesting. 

Protect the King could be handy in a Paladin Divine Shield deck, with Steward of Darkshire

On 8/4/2016 at 9:10 PM, Allegro said:

Protect the King could be handy in a Paladin Divine Shield deck, with Steward of Darkshire

It could. But that's a warrior card.