Diablo 4 is constantly bringing new features to the game that are challenging and exciting. One of the most anticipated additions is the Abattoir of Zir, a seasonal event that was revealed during Blizzcon 2023. This game mode, which can be compared to how Nightmare Dungeons work, will put maxed-out characters and skills to the test, in a timed run against hordes of enemies and deadly traps.
What Is the Abattoir of Zir?
The Abattoir of Zir will be available from December 5, 2023, until late January 2024, to end around the same time as Season 2. It is supposed to be the ultimate challenge for Season 2 players and, as stated by the developers, it may or may not return in the future, depending on the feedback from the community.
The Abattoir of Zir is similar to Greater Rifts from Diablo 3, but with some twists. To enter the dungeon, you need a special item called a Bloodforged Sigil, which you can craft at the Occultist once you meet the necessary requirements (we will explain them later).
The dungeon has 25 tiers of difficulty, each with a 10-minute timer. The goal is to kill as many enemies as possible within the time limit, and fill up a progress bar. When the bar is full, players will have to face the Bloodseekers, powerful boss-like enemies that have to be defeated before the timer runs out. Bloodseekers are not easy to kill, as they are stronger than the Butcher, and they have various abilities that can catch players off guard.
The Abattoir of Zir is a high-risk, high-reward mode. If you die, or if the time runs out, you will lose everything you gained in the run. If you are in a group, the run will end as soon as one of you dies, and you cannot revive each other. However, you can replay it as many times as you want, until the event ends.
Dungeons are randomly generated, with different layouts and monsters. Each tier has to be completed in order to access the next, from 1 to 25. Furthermore, it is not possible to skip any tier, even if you have a higher level Sigil. During a run, the dungeon will also have various afflictions, similar to Nightmare Dungeons, that will make it more difficult. For example, you might encounter more elite enemies, or reduced healing, or increased damage from certain elements, and so on. However, you can also find shrines inside the Abattoir that can give you temporary buffs.
The Abattoir of Zir event is not for the faint of heart. It is harder than a Nightmare Dungeon Tier 100, and is designed for players who have reached Level 100, optimized their gear, defeated all Uber bosses, and are looking for the ultimate challenge.
Players who manage to survive the Abattoir of Zir, will be rewarded with random items (can include Uniques, Legendaries, and other items, similar to Nightmare Dungeons) and the exclusive Paragon Glyph Tears of Blood, which will only be available during the event.
Not everyone can enter the Abattoir of Zir. The following requirements have to be met, before unlocking the possibility to craft a Bloodforged Sigil and entering the dungeon:
- Reach Level 100.
- Complete all 7 chapters of the Season 2 journey. This involves finishing 7 out of 9 challenging objectives, such as killing the Echo of Hatred (Uber Lilith), and having five Level 21 Glyphs, or finishing a Tier 90 Nightmare Dungeon.
- Craft a Bloodforged Sigil at the Occultist.
For a more in-depth look at how the journey through the Abattoir of Zir will work, take a look at this picture the developers showed during Blizzcon:
How to Enter
Once all requirements are met, you can craft a Bloodforged Sigil at the Occultist. The first Sigil that can be crafted is Tier 1, and it requires 800 Sigil Powder. To craft a higher tier Sigil, the previous tier has to be completed in order to unlock the next one. There are 25 tiers in total, each one harder than the last.
Players will have to climb their way up from Tier 1 to 25!
Using the Bloodforged Sigil will open a portal to the Abattoir of Zir in Ked Bardu, Dry Steppes. Entering the portal will automatically start the challenge. The portal will only open in Ked Bardu, there is no other entrance to the Abattoir of Zir.
The Abattoir of Zir offers various rewards, depending on the performance of each run:
- 1000 Glyph experience for each run, as there is a glyph upgrading altar at the end of the dungeon, similar to Nightmare Dungeons. This altar can be used to upgrade glyphs, but only if the boss was defeated within the time limit.
- The recipe for the next Tier of the Bloodforged Sigil, enabling access to the next level of difficulty. For example, completing Tier 1 unlocks the recipe for Tier 2, and so on. The Sigils can then be crafted at the Occultist, using Sigil Powder.
- A chance to get Unique items and Legendaries (similar to Nightmare Dungeon).
- The new Paragon Glyph: Tears of Blood. This is a special glyph that can only be obtained by completing Tier 1 of the Abattoir of Zir.
The Tears of Blood is a powerful glyph that increases your damage, and boosts all rare nodes within radius. The glyph can be leveled up to 200, providing a huge damage increase.
This glyph will be essential in order to progress up to Tier 25 of the Abattoir of Zir!
It is important to note, that the Tears of Blood Glyph will disappear when the Abattoir of Zir event ends.
Tips & How to Prepare
The Abattoir of Zir is not a walk in the park. It requires a lot of preparation and strategy to succeed. To that end, here are some tips to help you get ready for the challenge:
- Maximize your Vampiric Powers and the Glyphs you are using.
- Craft some Elixirs and Incense and keep them handy. They can give you boost in combat, especially against the Bloodseekers.
- Save some aspects you might need, in case you have to switch your build to progress further. The Abattoir is the hardest content you will face, and your current build might not be optimal for every tier.
- Check your Resistance in All Elements, as well as your Defense and Crowd Control. You will encounter a lot of different enemies and elements inside the Abattoir, and you need to be able to withstand them.
- Be fast and efficient! Speed is important, as you only have 10 minutes to kill all enemies on time. You also need to defeat the Bloodsekers before the timer runs out!
- Finish your Season Journey as soon as possible.
- Consider the pros and cons of going solo or in a party. Together you might be stronger, but even just one death will end the run for everyone!
- Pick up the shrines inside the Abattoir, as some of them can help you finish the run on time.
- Be careful of the afflictions/affixes: they can make your run much harder, depending on what they are. You won’t know the ailments until you enter the portal. Stay alert and watch out!
- Equip the Tears of Blood Glyph. It is designed to help you in the Abattoir, as it increases your damage and boosts your rare nodes.
- If an elite takes too long to kill, run towards the next pack of enemies. Don’t waste time on enemies that are not worth it. You need to kill as many enemies as possible to fill the progress bar and spawn the boss.
Best Abattoir of Zir Builds
The Abattoir of Zir is a brutal test of skill and strategy, and you will need a powerful and effective build to make it through each tier.
Not all builds will work well in this event, so we have selected only the most efficient ones, based on their current performance, and split them into S- and A-Tier. The build you choose should have both single target and AoE damage, as you will have to deal with hordes of monsters and a boss, all within a limited time. Survivability is also extremely important for this event, as well as speed.
The Tier list is subject to change:
The Hammer of the Ancients Barbarian and Ball Lightning Sorcerer are currently the most powerful builds in the game! If you play a Sorcerer or Barbarian, consider these builds as highly recommended for any type of content, including the Abattoir of Zir.
- Upheaval Barbarian
- Stormclaw Druid
- Infinimist Necromancer
- Bone Spear Necromancer
- Twisting Blade Rogue
- Arc Lash Sorcerer
- Double Swing Barbarian
- Walking Arsenal Barbarian
- Frenzy Barbarian
- Death Blow Barbarian
- Tornado Werewolf Druid
- Lightning Storm Druid
- Shifter Pulverize Druid
- Blight Shadowmancer Necromancer
- Blood Lance Necromancer
- Mendeln Summoner Necromancer
- Penetrating Shot Rogue
- Dual Core Rapid Fire Flurry Rogue
- Barrage Rogue
- Blizzard Sorcerer
- Ice Shards Sorcerer
- Firewall Sorcerer
The Abattoir of Zir is a new, exciting, and rewarding event that will put your skills, gear, and strategy to the test. It offers a unique and dynamic experience that will change each time you enter. Furthermore, next to Uniques, as well as other rewards such as Legendaries and rare items, it will also give you a chance to obtain the powerful new paragon glyph “Tears of Blood”, which will increase your damage and help you reach the highest tiers within the Abattoir. However, you will have to act fast, as the event will only last for a limited time, and the glyph will disappear with it! Are you ready to face the horrors of Zir and claim your rewards?