FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Legendary Paladin Aggro Standard

On 5/6/2016 at 10:38 AM, positiv2 said:

Firstly, if a deck's guide should be changed every time the deck becomes meta or off-meta, it would simply take up too much time.

Secondly, meta changes multiple times during a month. Aggro pally was rather powerful two weeks ago, now it's bad, and probably in like 2 weeks it will be powerful again. So, unless a deck is weak in the long-term, I don't think it is required to be changed to a "fun deck".

Can anyone boil down for me why this deck fell off the face of the meta? I still play it and get decent results - if for no other reasont hat people don't expect it and underestimate it. That is on rank 15-10 after which everything just becomes a dark red warrior mush of pain and sadness.

(Dragon) Warrior's ascendancy obviously plays a large part. The ghoul rips your shields to pieces and kills your unprotected weenies, the axe and alex's champion does in your 2-3 health minions and you never get off to the flying start that you need. And midgame twilight guardian is a pain if you don't have the right buffs.

But for a lot of other matchups I still like my chances. And those rare moments when Blood Knight steals a C'thun's Chosen shield and you kill it with a one-drop? Oh man, that's so good.

Edited by brokkr

I don't actually play Standard much but I've got fair results with this deck, I can say that this deck is not popular not only because Warrior is everywhere, but because it's hard to play (yes, I'm saying an aggro deck is hard to play) and because Zoo exist.

I think it was on Midrange Hunter that the guide said "You start by trading then at some point you hit the switch and you go for the kill" and I think it applies perfectly to this deck, you need to outvalue the enemy's early game and at some point you start pushing for damage, however, when to switch from trade mode to yolo mode can be a tough decision at times and that is a crucial part of the game, you risk throwing the whole game by switching mindset at the wrong moment, another thing I noticed is that your chargers are precious and they are not to be wasted because they often will save you, especially against Freeze Mage.

On the other hand, Zoo exist, is easier to play and Life Tap makes the deck more forgiving in regards to mistakes, and it performs arguably better so unless you are a hardcore paladin fun or you like the deck concept, the majority of players will go to the easier and more rewarding deck.

That's just my opinion though. 

29 minutes ago, Kokuendan said:

On the other hand, Zoo exist, is easier to play and Life Tap makes the deck more forgiving in regards to mistakes, and it performs arguably better so unless you are a hardcore paladin fun or you like the deck concept, the majority of players will go to the easier and more rewarding deck.

True, it's hard to out-zoo zoo. And i agree, it does require some skillful piloting about when to go face as well as figuring out the relative value of trading minions vs trading shields. After two minions on the board I start valuing keeping shields a lot more than additional one-health minions due to stickiness and synergies.

Another thing that struck me was that this deck started losing out when the meta became very aggro. Aggro means the other guy's dropping his cards as fast (or faster) than you which means that Divine Spirit is worthless. My mental image of facing shaman is me holding three cards, two of which are Divine Spirit, against two in his hand...

• Like 1

Just now, brokkr said:

True, it's hard to out-zoo zoo. And i agree, it does require some skillful piloting about when to go face as well as figuring out the relative value of trading minions vs trading shields. After two minions on the board I start valuing keeping shields a lot more than additional one-health minions due to stickiness and synergies.

Another thing that struck me was that this deck started losing out when the meta became very aggro. Aggro means the other guy's dropping his cards as fast (or faster) than you which means that Divine Spirit is worthless. My mental image of facing shaman is me holding three cards, two of which are Divine Spirit, against two in his hand...

I don't always fight Face Shaman, but when I do I open 2 Divine Spirits after mulligan.

• Like 1

Guest This Deck Sucks

So far I won 7 out of 8 games with this deck (I conceded one one game cuz I ordered pizza). You need practice I think.

This deck truly is for for legends indeed. TY! :D

On 10/10/2016 at 10:55 PM, Guest This Deck Sucks said:

So far I won 7 out of 8 games with this deck (I conceded one one game cuz I ordered pizza). You need practice I think.

This deck truly is for for legends indeed. TY! :D

Glad to hear it's going well for you :) Well done!

14 minutes ago, Guest Pych said:

can I replace leeroy with tirion?

Tirion is very slow for this deck. If you don't have Leeroy, simply use a Reckless Rocketeer. Leeroy is meant to be that final finishing damage and Rocketeer fills a similar function.

11 hours ago, Guest Pych said:

can I replace leeroy with tirion?

If you face faster midrange decks that can steal your midgame (usually Hunters), you acn try running Tirion Fordring, as you get huge value and force them to clear and you get 15 damage over 3 turns. Otherwise use Reckless Rocketeer, Wolfrider or Seal of Champions, or Consecration if you face aggro decks, since it can be used both as a board clear and a finisher, though it only deals 2 damage.

Sign in to follow this