FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
andMore

Crafting - Classic or Xpac?

Hello. I basically only started playing Hearthstone at the launch of ToG (played when HS first launched, but didn't stick with it.) I essentially have none of the major, deck-defining Legendaries except for N'Zoth, but have most of the key, non-legendary, classic and ToG cards, and a good start on MSOG non-legendary.

Generally speaking, would I be better served crafting legendaries from classic; so I have a solid base to start on, or crafting stuff from the newest  expansion to take advantage of them when they are at their newest, safe in the knowledge that the classic cards will always be there for me to get later?

I realize the better way to do this would be to link my card list, but it will be a while before I can get to my computer to upload such a thing, so I thought I would just get general advice for now, to maybe use while I am just on mobile.

I'd look which deck I would like to play (try a few out, if u miss cards replace them -> this way your deck will not be as strong, but you can see if you like the playstyle).
And after you have found a deck you like best craft the cards you need for it.

Generally speaken I'd craft neutral cards first.
If you already have Nzoth Sylvanas is a great addition and is included in most Nzoth decks, no matter the class -> lot's of decks profit by crafting Sylvanas.

I do agree you have to pick a deck you want before investing in it. It's a shame Hearthstone doesn't have a "test-drive" option.

As far as crafting goes, it's tricky.

A lot of decks from the last season (pre MSOG) we're not actually that legendary heavy, except for a couple, and mostly featured adventure cards. I don't think Blizzard are trying to fix what's not broken any time soon, so keep an eye out and pick up adventures asap, because they are going to be good. If you want to invest money in the game, buying a full adventure gives you the best money/gold ration.

New expansion is not so great if you look from a player's perspective. We're still in the testing phase, so decks based on MSoG are very popular, and the whole set is built that way so it powers up its own decks if you invest heavily into it.

But here is a caveat : outside of Patches, Aya, White Eyes and Reno Jackson's Sidekicks, it's Legendaries suck. Essentially you're excited about three cards from the whole set, and Kabal guys only work if you have all of them. And Epic slot is not really saturated with value. 

What I'm trying to say is that MSoG is not that great if you really go hard into buying it, so might as well just craft your stuffs and don't buy packs from it ever again. 

I didn't cover the questions or the topic, but that's still something to think about for you grinders.

If you really want to craft a legendary (I am more in favor of getting rares and epics you need, first), it doesn't have to be classic, Old Gods or MSoG specifically (keep in mind that classics will stay forever, while others rotate out). Just start with adventures, get them, as they have several great cards which cannot be replaced most of the time, and then check the decklists here, whichever legendaries see play the most, craft them, for example, Ragnaros the Firelord is a part of so many decks, and so are Bloodmage Thalnos, and Sylvanas Windrunner and Leeroy Jenkins Basically the trick is, determine what is more commonly played, then craft it. This is actually not only intact for legendaries bu also for epics and rares.

You may want to start with neutral cards also, because while I would also say pick what you want to play first, I know that changes a lot, like, you can regret your choice. Since the classes and decks you pick now will change, you may want to have a neutral collection as big as possible, so you will only need several class cards when you want to try out new stuff.

One more thing, don't craft cards from the newest set so quickly, wait until meta completes its shift.

Yes, what FanOfValeera says is important:
Before you craft legendaries it is more important to craft normals and rares first.
They are much cheaper and it is way more effective to replace 2 legendaries you don't have in a deck then to replace 5 or more normale / rare cards you don't have.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. You have helped talk me down from all the "Shiny New Cards" feeling that had come over me. 

I have been crafting normal/rare and some epics as I need them for a while, which is what has led me to now feeling like I am missing out on some legendaries. I have enough dust now that I can craft a legendary and still have a very comfortable cushion to continue crafting my needed low end cards for a while. I'll probably go with Sylvanas Windrunner, because I tend to enjoy rogue/hunter/priest more than other classes? Definitely need to get Ragnaros the Firelord eventually though.

I also think I will probably focus more of my gold back into classic packs again, which i haven't been doing for a while, but it does make sense, even when I wind up dusting most of what I get.

Between the two, Rag is definetly miles ahead than Sylv. Just saying.

Edited by Paracel
  • Like 1

Some fun follow-up to this. I was going to craft Rag last night, then thought, "Maybe I will wait until the free pack from Brawl tomorrow."

Just got my pack, opened it, and there he was, Ragnaros the Firelord.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. 

• Like 1

The same happened to me yesterday. I was wondering if I should craft Cairne, but opened my pack first and there was a golden Cairne staring at me. I nearly fell out of my chair with shock.

On 12/6/2016 at 8:32 PM, positiv2 said:

golden Shadow Ragers

This is the unicorn meta right here.

7 hours ago, Elestan said:

The same happened to me yesterday. I was wondering if I should craft Cairne, but opened my pack first and there was a golden Cairne staring at me. I nearly fell out of my chair with shock.

Had the same thing happen to me when I needed Deathwing for a Dragon Pala I wanted!

7 hours ago, Elestan said:

I also had a similar experience. I was about to craft Justicar Trueheart, but I decided to buy one more TGT pack. In the pack, I found Eadric the Pure and Alt-F4ed the game. Needless to say he was turned into a golden Ice Rager a few days later. 

On 12/8/2016 at 2:13 PM, positiv2 said:

I also had a similar experience. I was about to craft Justicar Trueheart, but I decided to buy one more TGT pack. In the pack, I found Eadric the Pure and Alt-F4ed the game. Needless to say he was turned into a golden Ice Rager a few days later. 

I feel cheated, yet this story is so much better.