Pattern Rune Word Guide in Diablo II Resurrected
This page covers the Rune Word Pattern in Diablo 2 Resurrected and provides information on the Runes needed, Bonuses it gives, Base Items to use, and Builds to use it with. It requires Patch 2.4 or later.
Pattern - Runes Required
The Rune Word Pattern requires three runes, Tal Rune, Ort Rune, and Thul Rune placed in that order. Thul is the highest level rune required, making this Rune Word usable by Players from Level 23.
3-socket Hand to Hand Items
Required Level: 23Individual Rune Bonuses
Adds 154 Poison Damage Over 5.0 Seconds (Tal Rune)
Adds (Ort Rune)
Adds (Thul Rune)Rune Word Bonuses
10% Bonus to Attack Rating
+(40-80)% Enhanced Damage
Adds (12-32) Fire Damage
All Resistances +15
+6 to Strength
+6 to Dexterity
+30% Faster Block Rate
Finding the Runes
The table below shows which area the required runes start dropping from normal monsters and containers, any quests, and the Countess Rune drop. The Countess is found on Level 5 of the Forgotten Tower in the Black Marsh.
- Tal - Act 3 Normal, Normal Hellforge, Countess (All difficulties);
- Ort - Act 4 Normal, Normal Hellforge, Countess (Nightmare & Hell);
- Thul - Act 4 Normal, Normal Hellforge, Countess (Nightmare & Hell);
Any of these 3 runes can drop from the Hellforge quest in Normal, with a 1 in 11 chance of each. The reward for completing the Rescue On Mount Arreat Quest gives a Ral, an Ort and a Tal, giving 2 of the 3 runes required.
For more information about finding and farming Runes, you can refer to our Rune Finding guide using the link below.
MrLlamaSC's Pattern Rune Word Video
We have a video created by MrLlamaSC discussing the new Rune Word Pattern.
Pattern - Bonuses
Like all Rune Words, Pattern gives additional bonuses to the ones granted by the Runes used to make it. These are all the bonuses Pattern gives.
- +30% Faster Block Rate - This bonus speeds up the block process, it works with a shield, and with Claw Block;
- +40-80% Enhanced Damage (varies) - Increases physical damage done. Value is set when the Rune Word is made;
- +10% Bonus to Attack Rating - Higher Attack rating means less chance of missing, always helpful;
- Adds 12-32 Fire Damage - Small amount of additional Fire damage;
- Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage - Small amount of additional Lightning damage;
- Adds 3-14 Cold Damage - Small amount of additional Cold damage;
- +75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds - Additional poison damage;
- +6 to Strength - Useful boost to strength, which can help with requirements, and damage;
- +6 to Dexterity - Gives extra Attack Rating and Defense, and can also help with requirements and shield blocking chance;
- All Resistances +15 - Good defensive bonus, reducing damage taken from Fire, Cold, Lightning and Poison damage. Does not effect magic or physical damage.
The bonuses on this Rune Word are not especially strong, but they are all useful, so together make a good option for a lower level character.
Pattern - Base Items
Pattern can only be made in grey 3-socket Assassin Katars / Claws. This Rune Word is most useful at early stages, so is best suited to Normal or Exceptional Claws. The following Claws can have 3 sockets.
- Normal Claws - Claws, Blade Talons, Scissors Katar;
- Exceptional Claws - Quhab, Greater Claws, Greater Talons, Scissors Quhab;
- Elite Claws - Suwayyah, Wrist Sword, Feral Claws, Runic Talons, Scissors Suwayyah.
A Quhab can be a good choice, as it can have 3 sockets, has higher damage than normal claws, and can be used from level 21, but any 3 socket Claw available will work well.
As Assassin Katars can have a +1-3 bonus to up to 3 different skills, finding a claw with useful bonusus could make a more effective weapon. If a claw with several desirable skills is found, consider saving this for use with a higher level runeword. Checking Claws that drop for useful skills is recommended.
If a white claw drops that has useful skills but no sockets, the Horadric Cube recipe Ral Rune + Amn Rune + Perfect Amethyst can be used to add sockets. For the Claws listed above, it has a 4 in 6 chance of giving the 3 sockets required for Pattern.
Pattern - Levels and Builds
Pattern is usable from Level 23. It is recommended for use in later normal difficulty, and early Nightmare difficulty. Stronger weapons should are recommended for later stages, like Bartuc's Cut-Throat usable at Level 42.
Pattern is only usable for Assassins. As it does not offer any skill bonuses, it is not very useful for a pure trap based Assassin.
For Assassins using the Martial Arts skills, Pattern has more to offer. For a Dragon Talon (Kick) Assassin, when using Pattern in the main hand (weapon slot) the all bonuses except the Enhanced Damage will work with kicks, including the Elemental damage. If used in the offhand (shield slot) the faster block rate, strength and dexterity bonuses and resists will work, but the other bonuses will not.
- 20 Mar. 2022: Guide added.
- Diablo 4 Open Beta Known Issues
- Diablo 4 Beta World Boss Schedule
- How to Redeem Your Diablo 4 Key and Pre-Download the Game
- Diablo 4 Will Not Be on Microsoft's Game Pass
- Diablo 4 Beta FAQ: Download and Start Times, System Specs and More
- Diablo 4 Beta Live Action Trailer and Real Cathedral Mural
- Diablo 4 Open Beta Live Q&A on Twitter Spaces
- Diablo 4 Early Access and Open Beta Rewards