Black Mage DPS Guide — Endwalker 6.1
Welcome to our Black Mage DPS guide for Final Fantasy FFXIV: Endwalker (Patch 6.1). This guide will cover everything you need to know to play as a Black Mage in PvE, from the absolute basics of the job, to high-end optimisation.
Black Mage Overview
Black Mage is a caster ranged DPS that offers strong sustained personal damage without relying on raid buffs.
Black Mage cycles between two timed stances, Astral Fire and Umbral Ice. Astral Fire nullifies MP recovery but in exchange grants a large damage buff to all fire-aspected spells. Your time in Astral Fire will be spent maximizing your number ofcasts with the MP available before finishing with a . Umbral Ice grants enhanced MP recovery but does not grant a damage buff. The key to success as a Black Mage is to utilize both stances effectively to ensure you cast as many of your high potency spells as possible while maintaining your GCD uptime.
Black Mage Strengths and Weaknesses
- High personal damage without specific reliance on party performance/alignment with buffs.
- Variety of flexible movement tools and resources in order to keep uptime without loss.
- No combat raise, unlike the other two caster DPS.
- Mismanaged movement tools and resources can lead to a massive damage loss.
- Newer players to the job may have difficulty learning to adapt and maintain the rotation amidst mechanics.
Leveling Black Mage
Black Mage's leveling rotation sees its most substantial change at level 60 with the addition of. The leveling guide will help you with this shift and give a detailed breakdown of the rotation as your number of spells increases throughout the leveling process.
Gearing Up Your Black Mage
Make sure to maximize item level when leveling. Substat priorities for melding can be found in the Black Mage melding guide linked below.
If you are looking for best-in-slot (BiS) sets for max level content, they can be found in our guide's BiS section.
Endgame as a Black Mage
If you have finally hit max level or just feel confident with the basics, you can find the in-depth max level rotation linked below.
- 20 Apr. 2022: Updated for Patch 6.1
- 28 Feb. 2022: Guide added.