L0rinda

Hearthstone Question and Answer Session Round-Up

9 posts in this topic

3jlzKUI.jpg

Game Director Ben Brode, and Game Designer Mike Donais have held a question and answer session live on Twitch to address the balance change to The Caverns Below. They also chatted about several other coming changes to the game.

As previously reported, The Caverns Below is going to be nerfed so that you have to play a minion five times instead of four to complete the Quest. The reasoning for this was the first thing addressed. The Quest was considered to be forcing too many Control decks out of the meta, and this was the reason for the nerf. Other options were considered, but it felt right to keep the cost of Crystal Core in line with other Quest cards, and Donais also felt the number five gives a nice consistency to the feel of the card. Jade Druid, and in particular Jade Idol is being watched very carefully, however it was hinted that this will not be such an issue after the next expansion is released.

Watch live video from PlayHearthstone on www.twitch.tv

When asked about Discover, Brode was quick to remind us that random effects and skill are not mutually exclusive. He explained how randomness can create skill, as you have to solve problems to react, rather than learning set routes. Stonehill Defender was about as powerful as expected, and there also seemed to be no issue with Primordial Glyph. One thing the design team seemed to like about Stonehill Defender, was that it's a neutral card that isn't strong in every class.

It seems that there are changes coming to Arena. Vicious Fledgling is going to have it's offer rate reduced by 50%, while many other cards are being tweaked. The idea is that the best cards in good classes will be offered less often, while the best cards in bad classes will be offered more often. 

Ladder is also being re-worked, and it seems that it will largely address the fact that over half of players are between Rank 18 and Rank 20. This will mean that more casual players will be able to experience a better feeling of progression. It was also mentioned that the very top players will also have a better ladder experience.

It was confirmed that the next expansion will be in August, although there were no more details offered. Adventure style stories will be back, free of charge, to enable the design team to elaborate more on the lore behind the cards.

There was a lot more than this touched upon in the session, and it is recommended that if these are the kinds of chats that interest you, that you watch the VOD above.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 8:33 PM, Caldyrvan said:

A little nerf to Vicious Fledgling in general would be nice ;)

There are countless answers to Vicious Fledgling in constructed so I don't see any warrant for a nerf. The reason he thrives the way that he does in Arena is mainly due to the fact that removal is far more scarce so he can snowball before there is an answer for him. 

I was away for a while, so a late answer :)

You are right but even in constructed you do not have a removes card all the time and then it's snow balling the same way which makes it much stronger than other minions of the same cost and rarity.

2 minutes ago, Caldyrvan said:

I was away for a while, so a late answer :)

You are right but even in constructed you do not have a removes card all the time and then it's snow balling the same way which makes it much stronger than other minions of the same cost and rarity.

That's just a fact of losing a game normally though. If you had no answer for a Mountain Giant during the peak of Handlock, you were dead in 3 turns and removing an 8 HP minion is a lot harder than Fledgling. 

7 minutes ago, Caldyrvan said:

you are right again, but the giant is epic and you have to "work" for it.

I guess - I just think that Fledgling is just as much of a problem as many other cards with 3 HP and with so many cards that can deal 3 damage, especially since it doesn't have Charge, it can get removed instantly. 

• Like 1

True and I didn't want to say it is insanely overpowered but for it's stats, costs and rarity just a bit to strong.

2 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

True and I didn't want to say it is insanely overpowered but for it's stats, costs and rarity just a bit to strong.

Yeah, I get you. It can definitely snowball horribly and win a game with the constant self heal, damage increase etc.

• Like 1