FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Duskhaven Hunter Reveal: The Witchwood

t8uCMny.png

After a run of exciting Legendary minions, this new three-drop for Hunter appears to be a dud.

Brazilian gaming site MardukTV has revealed a Rare Hunter minion from The Witchwood. Just like Pumpkin Peasant, each turn this card remains in your hand it will flip its Power and Health:

DZk0BtJVQAAKaXD.jpg:large

Card image courtesy of @HsTopDecks

A 3 Mana 5/2 with Stealth is something that Hunter decks might be interested in, as it draws some favorable comparisons to Jungle Panther and Shadow Rager. A 2/5 with Stealth is a lot less inspiring, especially one with no beast synergy. Since the card begins as a 2/5, I believe the way this works is that it will transform into a 5/2 on turn 2 and back to a 2/5 on turn 3, giving you the worse of the two modes if you'd like to play it on curve. Seems like this card asks quite a bit to be good, is only marginally "better" than Jungle Panther with one its extra point of power, but it doesn't have any beast synergy to curve into Houndmaster. Though that one power could be big in a world of Tar Creepers, I think it'll be a pass on Duskhaven Hunter for Standard.

Think I'm sleeping on this card? Let me know what you think about the card in comment section, and check out our Witchwood Hub for more information on the upcoming set.

Yeah, seems bad. The swapping thing seems like a penalty rather than flexibility. And even if you get it down on curve at 5/2 through a well-timed topdeck, there’s no guarantee it survives.

Being a rare card feels a bit like an insult.

Also I hate this wording, same with previous shifting cards. Why does it not read "At the end of your turn ... " ?

Or for cards like Shifting Scroll "At the start of your turn"

"Each turn" is just a wrong wording, compared to Gruul which is really doing it's effect each turn.

Edited by Caldyrvan

If it starts as a 2/5 it will transform 3 times and be a 5/2 stealth on your turn 3, if you get it in your opening hand. That's how the 6 mana 4/4 operates and I presume that's how this operates.