FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zadina

Three New Cards Revealed From The Witchwood

d1PRbzG.jpg

This is a catch-up article for the latest three card reveals from The Witchwood.

The first card is called Arcane Keysmith and was revealed by Hearthstone LatAm on YouTube. The video has English subtitles.

636587427336104490.png

For one mana more than a Secret, you get to choose whichever Secret fits your current situation, put it in play and have a 2/2 minion. I’d say this is a pretty good deal and it fits perfectly into the Minion Mage archetype the team is pushing for The Witchwood. I like how Spells Only Hunter can create minions through spells: now No Spells Mage will be able to create spells from its minions. A last interesting fact: this is the first Discover card of the set.

Witchwood Piper was uncovered by SnowKiss, a Chinese streamer.

636587643833475639.png

This is a card that obviously accompanies combo decks. The best fit is probably Mage: it can pull Sorcerer's Apprentice in Quest OTK Mage, Arcane Artificer in Big Spells Mage and perhaps something like Archmage Arugal in the up-and-coming Minion Mage. Another matter to consider is whether it’s worth cutting low-cost minions and using Witchwood Piper to fish for a more powerful minion. For example, Control Hunter could survive the first few turns with Secrets and removals like Wing Blast and then drop something big with the help of Witchwood Piper.

The final card for this article was revealed by Korean streamer RenieHouR.

636587858649985853.png

Druid doesn’t have a particularly strong turn 3 and this mediocre card doesn’t help much with it. Even though it’s no good making comparisons, I can’t help but think of the vanilla Hunter card Animal Companion which, despite its random nature, can summon a 4/2 with Charge or a 4/4 Taunt minion. Perhaps Druid of the Scythe is understated because as a “Choose One” card it offers more versatility. Does it, though? The Rush part is definitely its most useful aspect, since it can be used to remove early threats, although Druid has better removal options. The Taunt form is pretty poor, if you consider that Squirming Tentacle never saw play and that Warlock has the same taunt with one mana less and the ability to upgrade its Spellstone (Vulgar Homunculus). Lastly, Fandral Staghelm (which is bidding farwell to Standard) will make this card into a 4/4 with Rush and Taunt.

Let us know what you think about these cards in the comments below!

Card images belong to Hearthpwn.

Keysmith seems very good. Though worth noting it’s much lower tempo than the 4/3+secret combo. Aggressive lists might still elect to run it though; being able to pick up the polymorph secret is pretty useful against cubelocks, so much so I see people running it from time to time despite it being horrible in some matchups. For more value oriented decks this seems an easy include to me. And in new zoomage too.

Witchwood Piper seems insane. It’s not even that bad purely as an azure drake type filler. But being able to draw a specific minion at will seems like it’ll be ridiculously strong in the right deck.

Scythe, hmm, well... it’s flexible. Decent enough arena card I guess.

Edited by Bozonik

Arcane Keysmith: looks not bad but I am not sure even if you get a secret you can really use (which is likely with such a small pool to choose from in standard) your opponent may still play around it and it has no immediate board affect. And (imo) Turn 4 is where the really strong moves start, putting in something that "may" do something and 2/2 seems pretty weak- I would prefer a CTA for minion mage instead :D

Witchwood Piper: This one may prove to be interesting and useful, not sure but it looks good.

Druid of the Scythe: Yea, the rush version might be useful but the taunt definitely not. Seems weak even with the "flexibility" it has.  

Edited by Caldyrvan

39 minutes ago, Bozonik said:

Keysmith seems very good. Though worth noting it’s much lower tempo than the 4/3+secret combo. Aggressive lists might still elect to run it though; being able to pick up the polymorph secret is pretty useful against cubelocks, so much so I see people running it from time to time despite it being horrible in some matchups. For more value oriented decks this seems an easy include to me. And in new zoomage too.

Potion of Polymorph is rotating to Wild this year :(

For sure it’s a worse tempo play than cheating out a secret for free with the 4/3. That’s why I don’t think we’ll see the keysmith jn traditional Mage decks like Secret mage. In Minion Mage though it sounds good.

1 hour ago, Oxygen said:

At least, Scythe has a beast tag when it transforms.

But I imagine a beast druid wouldn't want to have 2/4 show up when they use Witching Hour. However, it may be decent if has the Rush mechanic for a quick save or gain tempo again! 

• Like 1

Maybe iam wrong, but isn't there still a mage-secret to be revealed in the WW? So I will hold my judgment till then. For now, I think Secret-Mage will not survive the standard rotation and "Arcane Keysmith" will not be able to prevent this.

Speaking about the "Keysmith". She seems to be okay, but since I don't like secrets at all...nope.

1 hour ago, Zadina said:

Ah, oops, yes.

Maybe aggro secret mage will die off anyway with any luck. Medivh’s Valet, Kabal Lackey, Kabal Crystal Runnner leaving takes away a lot of the secret synergy. Firelands Portal is in most lists too.

4 hours ago, Zadina said:

For sure it’s a worse tempo play than cheating out a secret for free with the 4/3. That’s why I don’t think we’ll see the keysmith jn traditional Mage decks like Secret mage. In Minion Mage though it sounds good.

Worse tempo, better value; you don't throw two cards at it.