FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Voltaic Burst Card Reveal

l4VBC26.png

Voltaic Burst is a powerful new 1 Mana Shaman spell that spawns two 1/1s with Rush.

Shaman will be getting a potent new Overload spell when the Boomsday Project is released on August 7th:

DjKmTAHV4AA30u6.jpg:large

In the pre-nerf Patches the Pirate era (when Patches had Charge), aggressive Shaman decks earned tier one status on the back of Bloodsail Corsair into Flametongue Totem.  The overload on Voltaic Burst means that this kind of play will only be available to players on The Coin, but I still think that Voltaic Burst will be a powerful card. The fact that both of the Spark tokens have Rush makes this card a versatile removal tool in the mid to late game, where the tokens can be bolstered by cards like Dire Wolf Alpha or Fungalmancer. I expect Voltaic Burst to shine in aggro decks, but I can also see it being played as a removal spell in control decks.

It's still a bit early to declare an era of Shaman dominance on the back of a single card reveal, but I can't shake the feeling that Voltaic Burst will make Shaman one of the strongest classes in the game. Am I crazy? Let me know in the comments, and be sure to check out our Boomsday Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.

I do think that voltaic burst is strong, but it has some problems.  Most notably, in aggro is is somewhat of a bad turn 1 play, since going 2 1/1s into a 1 drop is most likely far weaker then simply going 1 drop > 2 drop, especially when the 1/1s tend to trade very poorly into most 1 drops (they tend to be 1/3s), even on turn 2 it can be a somewhat questionable play (overload hurts disproportionately during the developing stages of the game).  Later in the game, we then have to ask ourselves, how strong is this card?  Sure it can be combined with funglemancer and other buff cards to make a strong board from no where, which is nice, but playing from behind is pretty awful for aggro, so that really isn't a consideration.  From ahead, this card is okay, not great but not bad, and definitely not something you want to draw, which just leaves when you are at parity, which is where this card does really shine.  So the question is, is this card good enough in this stage of the game to see play?  That question is hard to answer.  I think this card has potential, and I think that if an aggro shaman does come about, this card is worth heavily experimenting with, and has a shot of making it, but I also don't think it is *that* strong though. 

I’m not convinced. As a stand-alone card it’s effectively 2mana deal two damage to minions, or 2 mana summon two 1/1. Both of which are overpriced. So you have to be running stuff like flametongue and dire wolf.

So it’s likely only going in Aggro decks. As it’s a weak turn 1 play due to the overload, and as the best aggressive shaman deck is even right now, now sure it’ll see play.