FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sleete

My Gold to Buy Packs

Ok, as previously suggested I got 10 packs of classic  for my first  1000 gold.

I'm now in the position to get another 10 packs

so............

Should it be 10 classic again?

or

get perhaps 10 Ungoro, or Knights or Kobolds or Rastakhan or Witchwood (Or split 10 packs between them ?) ? 

or

get Classic (or Ungoro or Knights etc.) and continue (when I next have the next 1000) with them until I get all I possibly could ?

or 

Does it really matter what ones I get  and just go with my mood ?

PS. apart from my freebie go into Arena, I will NOT be spending gold there, Way above my capabilities for now.

Thanks

Edited by Sleete
made the title make sense, lol

I would NOT buy packs from the expansions from 2017 (Unguro, Knights + Kobolds).

Those expansions will rotate out "standard" when the next expansion is released (in a few weeks).

Those cards will still be playable, but only in wild mode.

Since you have no cards yet wild mode won't be a good choice for you. (Because you lack thousands of cards.)

That's why the standard mode is better - sure, you lack all those cards too, but there are way less then in wild mode.

Personally, I don't think the expansions from last year had great cards. Sure, there are several good cards that are great for specific decks. However, the expansions lacked "must-have" cards that are great for lots of different classes and decks.

Classic has lots of great cards, that are very usefull for tons of decks.

e.g. Leeroy Jenkins - a card that is in every aggro deck. No matter which class. And it will stay in aggro decks because it is just good for this kind of decks.

Class-legendaries are quite good too and can be found in lots of different decks. (Compared to several class legendaries from last year that are only good if you play a very specific deck.) Archmage Antonidas e.g. is great in several mage decks, good in most. If you have him you do nothing wrong in including him in your decks.

Or cards like Doomsayer - if you have a slow deck, he is a great addition to stall your opponent. No matter if you play Mage or whatever. -> not good for every deck, but for several. And he will stay good for those decks.

And classic cards will never rotate out of standard.

Last but not least, there is a "pity timer". If you are unlucky and don't get a legendary card after 30 packs, your chances of hitting a legendary increase with each new pack you open. After 39 packs without a legendary your 40th pack has a legendary guaranteed. (I hit this pity timer a few times...). This pity timer is for each expansion seperatly. If you have 20 classic packs without legendary and 19 packs Knights of the Frozen Throne without legendary, the next pack you buy will NOT have a legendary guaranteed.*

-> IMO classic packs are definitly the best choice for you. Most efficient and usefull.

But if you want a few packs of the other expansions, obviously there is nothing wrong with that. The game should be fun, and if you want a few packs - go for it.

*Personally, I started to make a excelsheet to keep track of how many packs it took me to get a legendary. I like to see some statistics about my card-draw. (I analyzed how much dust / pack I got for each expansion too, like I said, I like this sort of thing.)
If you are a "number-guy" maybe you want to start something like that too :) 

Edited by Guest

Wow, nice summary there WedgeAntilles

So generally Stick with Classic and keep upgrading the decks as I go along, looking for (or indeed crafting) those 'must have' cards and keep an eye out for the legendary (er how do I know if it is a legendary  btw).

Seems like a plan to me!

Cards are color coded:

White is common (in guides / decks basic cards are white too)

Blue is rare

Violet is epic

Orange is legendary

Cards have a small diamond in the middle (just below the name of the card), this diamond is either white, blue, violet or organge.
Basic cards have no diamond.

And don't worry, it took me a while until I noticed this diamond. I was quite confused at the beginning about rarity because of that...

On 2/14/2019 at 12:03 AM, Sleete said:

Ok, as previously suggested I got 10 packs of classic  for my first  1000 gold.

I'm now in the position to get another 10 packs

so............

Should it be 10 classic again?

or

get perhaps 10 Ungoro, or Knights or Kobolds or Rastakhan or Witchwood (Or split 10 packs between them ?) ? 

or

get Classic (or Ungoro or Knights etc.) and continue (when I next have the next 1000) with them until I get all I possibly could ?

or 

Does it really matter what ones I get  and just go with my mood ?

PS. apart from my freebie go into Arena, I will NOT be spending gold there, Way above my capabilities for now.

Thanks

This is (was) my rule about it:

First you need a good classic collection. Use dust to craft the "eternal" legendaries you need most.
Note: if you were older (at this game), you would notice that more and more cards have been powercreeped, but in standard you'll never know what will find room where, so cards like Grommash, Tirion, Jaraxxus, can be eternal even if nowaday they aren't played that much. For example, now Lord Jaraxxus has been powercreeped by Bloodreaver Gul'dan, but you can't know about the next standard rotation.

Second, go with the expansion of the last year (now: Witchwood, Boomsday and Rastakhan). In April, you'll need to focus on the next expansion.

Third, when you'll get tired of standard as I did, you'll craft what you need for wild. But this in a lot of time ?

As a general rule, however, first ask you what you like, then what you need, then buy pack of that expansion. Maybe you'll get what you want, maybe not, but you still will collect dust.
But this one only after you have a good classical base. You need at least the most usefull epic of every class (brawl, preparation, twistering nether, ...) and the neutral ones (Doomsayer, ...) before going to expansion, imho.

Last but not least: legendaries are good and all, you'll see a lot of decklist full of legendaries that you believe are a must (and sometimes they are), but the real base of a good collections are EPIC cards, not legendaries. So try to focus on epic, and accept every legendary you get.

Oh yes, I remember , (it was past my bedtime when I did that post)

I take it though, Legendary (and rare/epic) are no different to normal cards in that some are just not worth bothering about.

I appear to have 7 Legendary already.... I'll try an link them, not done this before....

Floop's Glorious Gloop     High Priest Thekal    Wardruid Loti    Dollmaster Dorian    Halazzi, the Lynx   

Tirion Fordring    Onyxia

Any good ?..... Hmm Link is a hyperlink, cant see how to do that pop-up one, sorry.

(Oh and 14 Epic, 84 Rare - too many to link, be here hours!)

Edited by Sleete

3 hours ago, Sleete said:

Oh yes, I remember , (it was past my bedtime when I did that post)

I take it though, Legendary (and rare/epic) are no different to normal cards in that some are just not worth bothering about.

I appear to have 7 Legendary already.... I'll try an link them, not done this before....

Floop's Glorious Gloop     High Priest Thekal    Wardruid Loti    Dollmaster Dorian    Halazzi, the Lynx   

Tirion Fordring    Onyxia

Any good ?..... Hmm Link is a hyperlink, cant see how to do that pop-up one, sorry.

(Oh and 14 Epic, 84 Rare - too many to link, be here hours!)

Floop's Glorious Gloop nowaday is almost useless, but you can never know, with all druid's ramp nerfed, maybe next year this card will be good

High Priest Thekal very nice, you can use this in every slow paladin deck. And I bet this card will be crazy next year.

Wardruid Loti it's stronger then most people thinks. Again, if the right druid deck shows up, this will be used for sure. However, on a budget, she's great in a lot of builds.

Dollmaster Dorian it's slow, so it isn't played in most of competitive decks. This is an unlucky pick.

Halazzi, the Lynx  crazy in quest hunter, but you don't have the quest and surely it isn't enough good to be crafted ? however, you can use it in some midrange hunter for his synergy with scavenger hyena. And again, next year can be very good.

Tirion Fordring this is and forever will be one of the most powerfull legendary in the game. And one of my favourite card. Surely one of the 2 most badass card to use in a deck. Nice pick!

Onyxia for now I don't know a deck that use her, maybe you can use her in a budget one.

I agree with most of Synesthesy.

However, the High Priest is only good if you have cards that support his battlecry. e.g. cards that heal (a lot).

If you do not have synergy with him he is basically a 3/4 for 3 mana without anything else. 

Dorian is useless for you IMO. He can be good in a strong deathrattledeck. Have never seen him in play, probably too slow. If you don't have lots of deathrattle cards he is very weak.

Tirion is awesome, great legendary. And will remain strong in lots of Paladin decks. 

Onyxia is good IMO. Not a great card, that's why not included in any guides. (Because these guides take every avaiable card into consideration.) But if you do not have many cards? Then it's quite a good high-cost card. Which card you have is better? Chances are high, you won't have a huge board in your later turns. (Depends obviously quite heavily on your deck). And if you have only 2 minions e.g. you get a 8/8 and 4 x 1/1 for 9 mana. That's not bad and not easy to remove. (Hard target removal leaves the 4 x 1/1. AOE keeps the 8/8 alive.) It's not a Dr. Boom (which is incredible powerful...) and not the perfect choice. But IMO it is a good high-cost card that can be played in any deck that doesn't focus on aggro. 

Thanks Wedge & Synest

Nice to know I have some good Legendaries.

I'm going to get some more cards now, and will be back... btw I just realised I have 2000 gold! woohoo!

ok I now have  2 more legendarys....

Archmage Antonidas     Grommash Hellscream  

PS... how do I get it so the cards Pop-Up and not a hyperlink ?

Edited by Sleete
add legend links/reformat post

Wow, nice!

2 legendaries in 20 packs is awesome. And both are great too.

Hyperlink is fine btw :)

1 minute ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Wow, nice!

2 legendaries in 20 packs is awesome. And both are great too.

Hyperlink is fine btw ?

yes, I thought they were likely to be good, and they are pop-up, must have been me!

On 2/15/2019 at 9:37 PM, Gwystlo said:

Hi,

New Player here also 

Mind if I hijack the thread?, I also have 7 Legendarys, and would appreciate a good/bad/indifferent comment on them, thanks

High Priestess Jeklik    Prince Liam    Illidan Stormrage    Zerek, Master Cloner    Grommash Hellscream   Malygos

The 7th is the Halazzi one already commented on

Jeklik is usefull... in discard Warlock. A deck that needs a ton of legendaries to be ordinary. Yes it's fun, very very fun. But you need at least some legendaries (like the quest) and some epics to get a weaker zoolock, it isn't something I would invest in. I play it sometimes just because I happened to find the quest in a pack. BUT I have to say that blizzard is trying to push discolock since ages, so maybe next year will be the right year, and with a moderate investiment you'll have a nice wild deck if you ever want to try this gamemode (the one I play), so Jeklik is not that trash at all....

Prince Liam is good in some kind of high value / combo paladin. Hakkar paladin is based on the interation between Hakkar and Liam. But it isn't a good legendary to own as a new player, as you don't have enough dust to play it competitively. BUT you can use it to have fun: you can play some kind of secret paladin and get fun with the legendaries Liam generates.

Illidan isn't a card used competitively, but on a budget he can be good.

Zerek isn't that good again. I don't know any competitive deck that used it. You can try to build some kind of buff priest, but it wouldn't be good at all. You can save this hoping for support in the next year. Often it happens. Sometimes no. You can't know. This is, IMHO, the worst legendary you own.

Grommash is very very good in the right meta (that is not this one) as a finisher in fast warrior deck. He is good. You can use it in tempo / rush warrior, and this is a deck better then meta reports suggest.

Malygos is gold. It opens you a lot of combo deck. Nowaday it is difficult to build a deck based only on Malygos as a legendary, but it isn't impossible. This will give you a lot of fun.

Synesthesy

Although I honestly don't understand some of what you put, I do understand which are useful and which are not. and once I get a better hang of this game... where they are played

Thank you

Edited by Gwystlo
spelling