FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Ny'alotha Mythic WF Race, Conclusion: Top 10, N'Zoth Nerf, Limit Tank Goes to Method, Asia Upset and More

48286-nyalotha-race-day-9-10-a-missing-p

The race for the top spots is done, even though there are plenty more guilds progressing on N'Zoth. The biggest news since we last checked in was that both the Corruption affixes and N'Zoth himself were nerfed, and according to the top guilds, when you add both nerfs together N'Zoth got a bit easier. He received a 5% overall nerf and the Thought Harvesters did as well, while the Corruption effect (mainly Echoing Void) nerfs only accounted for around 2-3% of Limit and Method's total damage, and that number significantly drops off for lower ranked guilds, as they won't have had as good gear (with the possible exception of some Asian guilds).

What that all ended up meaning is that only our Bronze medalist, Pieces, actually downed the Old God before the nerf, with 4 through 10 all getting the slightly easier version. It's a big accomplishment in any case and was hard fought, so let's take a look at the final standings:

HOTZMuN.jpg

There we have it, one US guild at the very top, 5 EU guilds and Asia staking their claim once more with 40% of the top 10. We did have an upset on the charts however, as Alpha, who have been the top Asian guild for quite a while now and also lead the way throughout Ny'alotha, were beaten in the end by JTH aka JiTianHong! And the other big news is that the amazingly named FatSharkYes took the 4th spot back for the EU, while raiding quite a bit less than their competition. We've also had some more guilds get to 12/12 after the top 10 finished up, with Chinese newcomer Hei Jia Ji just missed out on the top ranking slots, followed by aptly named Korean guild KR, Practice from the EU and finally US second, Big Dumb Guild just getting it done today.

Let's also take a quick look at the viewership for the race, as it's been affected by the change in leaders, and it's also gotten a pretty big bump since the Eternal Palace. We'll check out the week of the final boss kill specifically, as that's the peak in viewership, and N'Zoth actually saw a big increase from Azshara, but with a different layout. Let's start with the kill-week viewership for Eternal Palace, courtesy of The Esports Observer:

EAGqMVZWsAAFOWV?format=jpg&name=medium

And now Ny'alotha:

top10.png

As you can see Method's event stream kept pretty much the same presence, but the big addition was Complexity Limit GM Max's stream which came through to increase the number of watched hours by almost 50%! Complexity's own event stream wasn't that watched, as the point of focus in the race was Max's stream as Limit was leading the way from pretty much the very beginning of the race, and his stream offered the entire unedited guild communications.

Finally in this conclusion of race-related events we have a big shakeup for the two top guilds, as Naowh, Limit's main tank for this raid has announced that he's going to be joining Method! In case you weren't aware, Naowh is an EU player and was originally a part of Method's EU MDI team, but joined Limit for Ny'alotha progress.

The actually bigger news here came with Method GM Sco's post regarding this matter, stating that either he or Justwait will likely be passing their tank spot to Naowh in Shadowlands and will "support the guild from outside the raid during the next RWF". Whether this is referring to the role Limit GM Max took this time around or something different remains to be seen. Here's Sco and Naowh's full quotes:

Sco:

I am excited to announce that Naowh, a member of the championship-winning Method MDI EU roster, has decided to rejoin the Method guild as a tank.

The first question on most people's minds is now probably “Doesn’t that mean Method has 3 tanks for 2 raid spots?” Yes that is correct, come Shadowlands, either myself and/or Justwait is likely to take a step back and support the guild from outside the raid during the next RWF. We are still working through the details on that front.

With loss comes reflection and learning. Within days of the Ny'alotha RWF ending, the guild and officer team have had extensive meetings to learn from this tier, improve for next, and build up the guild for future success. There are several initiatives that are being worked on right now, some of these will be publicly visible, such as roster changes/additions like this one (Method is recruiting right now - http://method.gg/guild-apply), and many more are being worked on behind the scenes.

Rest assured that Method is 100% committed to doing whatever it takes to reclaim the World First throne. #methodway

Naowh:

I want to start this off by giving Complexity Limit a proper Thank you. My time in the guild, including BoD, has been a truly awesome experience.

After Ny’alotha I was approached by Method to come back as one of their tanks and after a few days of thinking back and fourth I decided that it’s the right choice for me.
One of the biggest reasons is the constant re-gearing before and after every tier. It’s very timeconsuming and becomes a nightmare after progress. Another reason is the difference in time-zones, both for farm raids and raid preparation, although farm raids could have been handled.

The last and most important reason I think is that I truly miss playing with my boys, I’ve become good friends with most of the Limit guild but it doesn’t come close to all my long-term friends I have in Method, especially my MDI boys.

So with this being said, I wish Complexity Limit the best of luck in Shadowlands, but my time in NA is over.

As always, I’m happy to answer any questions on my stream!

And so another race has come to a close and it was a very eventful one, seeing a seismic shift in the raiding world as the US is back on top after an 8 year absence. Limit have been working on this for a long time and it seems the partnership with Complexity was that final push they needed to get there. Battle for Azeroth still ended up being Method dominated, however, with the guild taking 3 out of the 5 raids, with Pieces taking the short Crucible of Storms and now Limit making things interesting with the Ny'alotha win. This marks Shadowlands as a particularly interesting race, with both guilds now having esports organizations behind them and Method being behind for once, so it'll be a thrill to find out if they can recover from this one.

You can check out all our Ny'alotha progress summaries here, if you want a refresher on the race and all that happened.

QCC0LLL.jpg

World First race related articles