Corrupted Items Guide in Patch 8.3: Vision of N'Zoth.
Corrupted Items have been introduced in Patch 8.3 as an alternative to Warforging and Titanforging. Corrupted Items come with beneficial on-equip effects that are counter-balanced by detrimental effects, such as area denial, periodic slows, and more.
The detrimental effects can be reduced through the use of some mechanics introduced in Visions of N'Zoth.
Items touched by N'Zoth's influence grant great power, but expose bearers to dangers of increasing severity.
Gear from all sources in Patch 8.3 has a chance to drop as Corrupted and each Corrupted item comes with:
- A purple primary Corruption stat, which activates negative effects at certain thresholds based on the character's Total Corruption level;
- A desirable on-equip effect;
Individual pieces of Corrupted Gear add some Corruption toward your character's Total Corruption count. On top of that, Corrupted Items also come with desirable on-equip effects and negative effects that activate at various thresholds based on your Total Corruption level.
You can build up Corruption Resistance through various means in Visions of N'Zoth, preventing the negative effects from activating.
With Corrupted Items, your main goal is to reduce your Total Corruption level while maintaining the beneficial on-equip effect on your Corrupted Gear.
Corrupted Items Terminology
Below, we explain the most important terms related to Corrupted Items in more detail.
Corrupted Items in Patch 8.3 come with a purple Corruption stat which indicates that an item is Corrupted.
The Corruption stat can come in three tiers, each with a specific set of on-equip effects. The higher the tier, the more Corruption an item can roll and the more powerful the on-equip effect will be.
- Tier 1 — +10, +15, or +20 Corruption
- Tier 1 on-equip effects increase your secondary and tertiary stats by a percentage
- Tier 2 — +15, +20, or +35 Corruption
- Tier 2 on-equip effects proc Critical Strike/Haste/Mastery
- Tier 3 — +15-25, +25-50, and +50-75 Corruption
- Tier 3 on-equip effects are diverse and very powerful
You can find a list of the effects in our on-equip effects section below.
Base Corruption is the sum total of your Corruption on all your currently equipped gear.
There are various ways to build up resistance against Corruption in Visions of N'Zoth, mainly through Wrathion's Legendary Cloak and Patch 8.3 Essences.
Your Total Corruption is simply your Base Corruption minus your Corruption Resistance. At various Total Corruption thresholds, negative effects will activate and bad things will happen to you. See our negative effects section below.
Corrupted Items roll with one random beneficial on-equip effect which can come in three tiers. The higher the tier, the stronger the on-equip effect, and the more Corruption the item will have. You can cleanse Corrupted Items, but note that they will lose both the desirable on-equip effect as well as Corruption.
Tier 1 On-Equip Effects
Tier 1 on-equip effects increase a secondary and tertiary stats by a percentage and always roll on items with 10, 15, or 20 Corruption (and the stat increase depends on the Corruption value rolled).
- Avoidant — Your Avoidance is increased by 8 / 12 / 16% of your Haste.
- Masterful — Increases the amount of Mastery you gain from all sources by 6 / 9 / 12%.
- Severe — Increases the amount of Critical Strike you gain from all sources by 6 / 9 / 12%.
- Expedient — Increases the amount of Haste you gain from all sources by 6 / 9 / 12%.
- Siphoner — Increases your Leech by 2 / 5 / 8%.
- Strikethrough — Increases the damage and healing you deal with Critical Strikes by 2 / 3 / 4%.
- Versatile — Increases the amount of Versatility you gain from all sources by 6 / 9 / 12%.
Tier 2 On-Equip Effects
Tier 2 on-equip effects come in the form of a secondary stat proc. These effects always roll on items with 15, 20, or 35 Corruption (and the proc value depends on the Corruption value rolled).
- Deadly Momentum — Your Critical hits have a chance to increase your Critical Strike by 31 / 41 / 72 for 15 sec, stacking up to 5 times.
- Honed Mind — Your spells and abilities have a chance to increase your Mastery by 392 / 523 / 915 for 10 sec.
- Racing Pulse — Your spells and abilities have a chance to increase your Haste by 546 / 728 / 1,275 for 4 sec.
- Surging Vitality — Taking damage has a chance to increase your Versatility by 312 / 416 / 728 for 20 sec.
Tier 3 On-Equip Effects
Tier 3 on-equip effects roll on items with 15 to 25, 25 to 50, or 50 to 75 Corruption (and on-effect value depends on the Corruption value rolled).
- Echoing Void (15 / 25 / 50 Corruption) — Your damaging abilities build the Echoing Void. Each time it builds, Echoing Void has a chance to collapse, dealing 1/1.5/2.5% of your Health as Shadow damage to all nearby enemies every 1 sec until no stacks remain.
- Infinite Stars (20 / 50 / 75 Corruption) — Your spells and abilities have a chance to strike a nearby enemy with an Infinite Star, dealing 111 / 276 / 415 [Attack Power or Spell Power] Arcane damage and increasing their damage taken from your Infinite Stars by 25%, stacking up to 10 times.
- Twilight Devastation (25 / 50 / 75 Corruption) — Your attacks have a chance to trigger a beam of Twilight Devastation, dealing damage equal to 6 / 12 / 18% of your Health to all enemies in front of you.
- Twisted Appendage (15 / 35 / 66 Corruption) — Your attacks have a chance to spawn a tentacle which Mind Flays your target for [ 25 / 45 / 65% of Attack Power or 25 / 45 / 65% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage every second for 10 sec.
- Void Ritual (15 / 35 / 66 Corruption) — Gain Void Ritual, giving your spells and abilities a chance to increase all secondary stats by 7 / 17 / 32 every sec for 20 sec. This chance is increased if at least 2 nearby allies also have Void Ritual.
Other On-Equip Effects
Items with the following on-equip effects always roll with 15 Corruption.
- Glimpse of Clarity — Your spells and abilities have a chance to grant you a Glimpse of Clarity, reducing the cooldown of your next 1 spell cast by 3 sec.
- Gushing Wound — Your damaging spells and abilities have a chance to cause your target to ooze blood, dealing [70% of Attack Power or 70% of Spell Power] damage over 7 sec.
Items with the following on-equip effect always roll with 50 Corruption.
- Ineffable Truth — Your spells and abilities have a chance to show you the Ineffable Truth, increasing the rate your cooldowns recover by 50% for 10 sec. This effect only have one tier.
On top of having positive on-equip effects, Corrupted Items come with negative side effects and your goal is to reduce your Total Corruption by building up Corruption Resistance to reduce the amount of negative side effects active at any given time. It is important to note, however, that cleansing Corrupted Items removes both the Corruption stat and the On Equip effect (see our cleansing corrupted items section).
Here is a list of all the side effects with a description of what exactly they will do to your character and how much Total Corruption is required to trigger them.
- Grasping Tendrils (1 Corruption) — Taking damage has a chance to reduce your movement speed by 5 sec. The magnitude of the snare increases with further Corruption.
- Eye of Corruption (20 Corruption) — Your spells and abilities have a chance to summon an Eye of Corruption for 8 sec. The Eye inflicts increasing Shadow damage to you every 2 sec while you remain in range.
- Grand Delusions (40 Corruption) — Taking damage has a chance to summon a Thing from Beyond, which pursues you for 8 sec. Its speed increases with further Corruption.
- Cascading Disaster (60 Corruption) — If you are struck by the Thing from Beyond, you will be immediately afflicted by Grasping Tendrils and Eye of Corruption.
- Inevitable Doom (80+ Corruption) — All damage taken is magnified and healing received is reduced, increasing with further Corruption.
Corrupted Items UI
Here we have the Corrupted Items user interface as portrayed in the game. It contains all important information including Base Corruption, Corruption Resistance, Total Corruption, and the currently active negative effects with the next inactive effect greyed out.
Cleansing Corrupted Items
From the moment you obtain your first Corrupted Items, you will receive the Curious Corruption instruction quest and must visit MOTHER who tells you how to purify Corrupted Items.
Cleansing a Corrupted Item costs 5 Corrupted Mementos and removes the On Equip and Corruption from a Corrupted item.
Increasing Corruption Resistance
There are various ways to increase your Corruption Resistance in Visions of N'Zoth.
- Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve (Wrathion's Legendary Cloak) comes with a baseline +Corruption Resistance stat which increases with each rank. At Rank 15, it has 50 Corruption Resistance and you can start collecting Malefic Cores to further increase your Corruption Resistance by 3 each time up to a maximum of 125 Corruption Resistance.
- Minor Powers of the new Patch 8.3 //www.icy-veins.com/wow/essence-guide-for-heart-of-azeroths decrease your Corruption by 10. The effect does not stack, so if you have two Minor Powers of the new Essences equipped, your Corruption Resistance will be only 10, not 20.
Certain weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City drop with Corruption and on-equip effects.
- An'zig Vra (30 Corruption) / Devour Vitality — Your autoattacks have a 25% chance to bite into the target's soul, dealing 2% of your Health in damage and healing you for that amount.
- Devastation's Hour (75 Corruption) / Twilight Devastation — Your attacks have a chance to trigger a beam of Twilight Devastation, dealing damage equal to 18% of your health to all enemies in front of you.
- Eyestalk of Il'gynoth (33 Corruption) / Ineffable Truth — Your Spells and Abilities have a chance to show you the Ineffable Truth, increasing the rate your cooldowns recover by 50% for 10 sec.
- Faralos, Empire's Dream (30 Corruption) / Searing Flames — Your damaging abilities build stacks of Searing Flames. When you exceed 30 stacks, exhale a Searing Breath, dealing damage equal to 5% of your Health to all targets in front of you.
- Mar'kowa, the Mindpiercer (20 Corruption) / Flash of Insight — Your mind's true potential is unlocked, causing your spells to grant you flashes of insight. Gain between 1% and 8% Intellect at all times.
- Qwor N'lyeth (25 Corruption) / Echoing Void — Your damaging abilities build the Echoing Void. Each time it builds, Echoing Void has a chance to collapse, dealing 1.5% of your Health as Shadow damage to all nearby enemies every 1 sec until no stacks remain.
- Shard of the Black Empire (35 Corruption) / Twisted Appendage — Your attacks have a chance to spawn a tentacle which Mind Flays your target for 7,156 Shadow damage every second for 10 sec.
- Shgla'yos, Astral Malignity (50 Corruption) / Infinite Stars — Your spells and abilities have a chance to strike a nearby enemy with an Infinite Star, dealing 26,335 Arcane damage and increasing their damage taken from your Infinite Stars by 25%, stacking up to 10 times.
- Sk'shuul Vaz (50 Corruption) / Obsidian Skin — Gain Obsidian Skin, increasing your Armor by 5%. While in combat, explode with Obsidian Destruction every 30 sec, dealing Shadow damage equal to 175% of your Armor to all enemies within 20 yds.
- Unguent Caress (25 Corruption) / Lash of the Void — Your attacks have a chance to lash your target with a living tentacle, dealing 11,641 Shadow damage and snaring them by 30% for 6 sec.
- Vorzz Yoq'al (35 Corruption) / Void Ritual — Gain Void Ritual, giving your spells and abilities a chance to increase all secondary stats by 17 every sec for 20 sec. This chance is increased if at least 2 nearby allies also have Void Ritual.
- Whispering Eldritch Bow (25 Corruption) / Whispered Truths — Your auto-shots reduce the remaining cooldown of a random Hunter ability by 1.0 sec.
Heart of Darkness is a new Azerite Power which increases all your secondary stats by X while your Corruption Level is 25 or higher.
- 10 Jan. 2020: Guide added.
- Infinite Stars Corruption Effect Hotfix, More AH Issues
- Complextiy-Limit to Host Their Own Ny'alotha Race Event
- Suspensions for Black Empire Coffer Farm Reverted
- Visions of N'Zoth Season 4 Content Update Notes
- Squeakers, the Trickster Mount Now Available
- Heroic Difficulty Operation Mechagon in Visions of N'Zoth (Official Preview)
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: January 15th
- Auction House Issues: January 15th
- Patch 8.3 Tailoring Changes
- Legendary Cloak Overview
- Assassination Haste soft cap & Stats
- Patch 8.3 Priest Class Changes
- Mechagnomes Allied Race
- Vulpera Allied Race
- Completed Quests Checker
- Patch 8.3 Shaman Changes