Spear Weapon Guide and Builds in New World
The Spear offers long reaching melee attacks and a several crowd control options. Take up this weapon if you want to DPS in PvE or be a crowd controlling nightmare on the PvP battlefield.
Spear Patch 1.1 Changes
With Patch 1.1 of New World having been released on the 19th of November, we have prepared patch notes with commentary for the Spear weapon. Please follow the link below for more information.
The Spear is a weapon that has several strong crowd control options and a couple great DPS Abilities. While you can do good damage in PvE, most of the Spear's damaging Abilities have rather unforgiving hitboxes and are hard to land in PvP. Light and heavy attacks both deal Thrust damage.
Spear Strengths and Weaknesses
Crowd Control Mechanics
The Spear is a weapon that has two types of crowd control: Knockdown and Stun. Knockdown comes fromand and knocks foes affected by it onto their backs and they have to get up. This affect does end early though if they take any damage, so after a knockdown make sure to follow up with a heavy attack or an Ability instead of a light attack. Stun is exactly the same as knockdown with the exception that it goes through Grit. Grit provides almost total immunity to crowd control and displacing affects but stuns like will still apply.
The Spear scales primarily with Dexterity, but also scales with Strength, making it able to easily accompany a weapon that scales with either of these Attributes. We recommend that you focus on obtaining gear that has either Dexterity or Strength and Constitution. Faction armor in particular does a good job of providing a balance of Dexterity or Strength and Constitution. If you want to use Heavy Dexterity armor, you can change the Attributes on the Faction armor by using a Seal such as the. Take this Seal and the piece of faction gear that you want to Attribute swap to its corresponding crafting bench and there should be a new recipe for you to complete.
Recommended Spear PvE Builds
In PvE, your job is to stab your foes to death before they can do the same to you. The Spear has several bonuses to crit chance which can help you kill enemies fast regardless of if you backstab-crit them or not. Keeping up the Rend debuff, from, will also be a big boost to your DPS against tanky targets. helps to boost our crit chance and provides some damage over time and provides some crowd control and cooldown reduction.
The best gem for your Spear is, because it works well with since you will always be dodging directly before using a damaging Ability. For armor gems, we recommend either , , or to provide generic damage absorption.
We recommend taking the following mastery points:
We recommend taking the following mastery points:
Recommended Spear PvP Builds
In PvP, your role is to crowd control foes and prevent them from killing you or your allies. We recommend using, , and . This setup will not be high on damage but will grant a lot of crowd control. , , and allows us to spam our Abilities to either keep yourself safe or to peel foes off of your healers.
The best gem for your Spear is, because it synergizes well with so that whether your Stamina is full or not you will be getting some sort of damage buff. For armor gems, we recommend either , , or to provide generic damage absorption.
We recommend taking the following mastery points:
- — Spin attack that deals 110% weapon damage, pushes targets back 3 meters and applies 50% Slow for 3 seconds. This Ability has a decent area and can be good for pushing PvP foes off of control points. also adds Grit to this ability which allows you to avoid crowd control.
- — Throw your spear, dealing 125% weapon damage and staggering on hit. This Ability is a skill shot that forces you to stop moving while you throw your spear. You spear will magically reappear in your hand after being thrown.
- — Sweep the target's legs, dealing 75% weapon damage and knocking them down. This crowd control move feels pretty fast and consistent; however, the Mastery is not that great because this is basically the same damage as a Heavy attack.
- — Three quick piercing strikes that each deal 70% weapon damage and apply Rend, reducing the target's damage absorption by 5% for 10 seconds. This Ability is great in PvE for the damage and most importantly the Rend. This Ability is the only one in the game that can hit the 30% Rend cap by itself. In PvP, it is rather hard to hit all three strikes because foes can just move away.
- — Rush forward and skewer your target, dealing 125% weapon damage. Applies Bleed (10% weapon damage) every 1 second for 10 seconds. This is a nice damaging Ability since it does 225% weapon damage with the Bleed. Although this skill is fairly fast it is still rather hard to hit in PvP.
- — Use your spear to vault forward and kick your target, dealing 75% weapon damage. Applies Stun for 1.5 seconds. Taunt Gem Compatible: If you have a Carnelian gem equipped in your spear, This ability cause a 2-second taunts when it hits. This crowd control move is pretty great because it moves you forward and can Stun through Grit.
Spear Mastery Overview
Like all other weapons, the Spear has two Mastery Trees. You can spend Mastery Points in either Tree but must have a Mastery from the preceding row to select deeper Masteries. Likewise, if a Mastery has a vertical line connecting it to a Mastery above it then you must first select the higher Mastery in order to unlock the lower ones. These-linked together Masteries typically support Abilities which are denoted by a square-shaped icon.
While you can unlock all six Abilities at once, you will only be able to place three Abilities on your action bar at a time. It is unwise to invest in more than three Abilities, because it is easy to respec when needed.
The Zoner Tree focuses on Heavy Attacks, crowd control, and stamina.is a powerful Stamina regenerator that can help you get back to the point where you can Dodge again quickly. can help you recover even more Stamina with crits as well. encourages you to attack at your maximum range by giving you a hefty crit chance increase. Its Ultimate Mastery increases your damage done when your stamina is full.
The Impaler Tree focuses on applying debuffs, light attacks, and critical strikes.grants significant crit chance against Foes that are afflicted by 's bleed. is incredible for reducing your cooldowns dramatically when you dodge before using your Abilities. helps to increase your crit chance with light attacks even higher. Its Ultimate Mastery increases the damage enemies take based on how many debuffs they have.
Every Weapon Ability in New World has a corresponding Perk that can be found on armor and weapons. Most perks scale in power with the Gear Score of the item they are on. You can only benefit from one instance of a Weapon Ability Perk at a time. These can be rare to find on gear and are mostly just a bonus.
- — Every hit of Cyclone heals you for a percentage of weapon damage. If you are using Cyclone then this can be a nice self-heal that you should not pass up.
- — Javelin applies Rend, reducing the target's damage absorption by a percentage for 10 seconds. Rend is a powerful debuff and if you are using Javelin then you certainly should try to get this perk for both PvE and PvP.
- — Sweep's Coup de Grâce now applies Bleed for a percentage of weapon damage for 4 seconds. This Perk can actually be build-defining because it allows you to have a Bleed on foes without using . This would allow you to benefit from for the extra crit chance. If you are looking to get a bit more damage into a build that is using Sweep then this Perk is great.
- — Gain a stack of Fortify, increasing damage absorption by a percentage for 6 seconds per successful Perforate hit. This Perk is massive for stacking up Fortify and is really good if you are using Perforate.
- — hits apply Weaken, reducing target's damage by a percentage for 8 seconds. Reducing incoming damage is always nice and this perk is great for solo or group content. If you are using Skewer then this is a good pickup
- — Vault Kick increases random Crit Chance by a percentage for 5 seconds. This perk is incredible. This caps out at 18% increased crit which is a staggeringly high number. If you are using Vault Kick then this is a great Perk and we highly recommend getting it for PvE and PvP.
Start off with grabbing, , and to have a nice 3 Ability kit. Next take , , , and to help give you a lot of crit and cooldown reduction. You should be able to engage foes and hit them with your damaging abilities and then follow up with Vault Kick. Try to dodge before using each Ability to help reduce all your Spear cooldowns. is next for the Rend increase, followed by and to empower your Skewer. This unlocks which is a nice damage increase against foes we have debuffed. and come next to empower our Vault Kick and reduce cooldowns even more. to help do more damage aginst low life foes. will extend the duration of your debuffs allowing you to get more mileage out of Exploited Weakness. Lastly finish up with , , , and
Spear Weapon Combinations
- Bow — Pairing the Bow with a weapon that provides a lot of crowd control helps deal with foes that get to close. The Bow can deal massive damage at a distance while also scaling with Dexterity. One downside of this pairing is that both weapons deal Thrust damage, which is weak against Lost and Angry Earth-type foes. This playstyle is perfect for an archer who wants to stand their ground and then punish those who get too close.
- Hatchet — One thing the Spear lacks is self-healing and a movement skill and the Hatchet's offers both of these. The Hatchet is a great weapon that offers good sustain and scales primarily with Strength and secondarily with Dexterity. One downside is that both weapons are melee with limited ranged options.
- Sword — This combination is mostly about tanking and applying Rend for your DPS to increase their overall damage. can taunt foes and stun them but since stuns and knockdowns are broken on hit you cannot rely on this crowd control in group content besides as a temporary peel.
What Attributes does the Spear scale with?
The Spear scales with primarily Dexterity and Strength secondarily
Where do you get the Spear
You can get your first Spear either from killing foes or chests. If you do not find one then you can craft it for yourself at the Forge. We recommend crafting a Spear after completing your 'craft a weapon' introduction quest if you have not yet found one. For more information about crafting check out our Crafting guide.
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- New World Update 1.5.6
- TwitchCon Amsterdam New World PvP Arena Open & Twitch Drop
- New World July Team Update Video
- New World Steam Free Weekend (April 7-11)
- Big New World Update: Heart of Madness Reveal and PTR Notes
- New World January Update: Mutators and a Lot More
- New World Patch 1.2.2 Notes