Gurtogg Bloodboil Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Gurtogg Bloodboil is the sixth boss you will encounter in Black Temple. Gurtogg Bloodboil can be a difficult fight, having very high damage taken by tanks, the raid, as well as requiring a high amount of raid coordination and multiple threat mechanics. Check out our in-depth guide below to prepare as much as possible for your encounter with Gurtogg Bloodboil.
Gurtogg Bloodboil is the sixth boss you will encounter in the Black Temple. Gurtogg is considered one of the more difficult bosses in the Black Temple, having high healing requirements and multiple tank threat mechanics. Be sure to read up on the mechanics below to properly handle this boss.
Role-Specific Tips for Gurtogg Bloodboil
This fight has very high healing requirements. There is a ton of raid healing required as well as very high tank damage taken. Healers should be assigned to heal specific roles and help top up the raid and the tanks as soon as possible.
This fight is similar to Void Reaver from Tempest Keep, where DPS need to always be under the tanks on the threat meter. Slow your DPS during Phase One if you do not have a reliable threat drop, as the tanks will be constantly swapping aggro.
If you are assigned to soaking Bloodboil, make sure you prioritize moving in and out properly, as it is very easy to die with multiple stacks of this debuff.
This fight is highly threat-based, having multiple threat reductions and threat drops. Tanks will want to make sure they are always at the top of the threat meter. Tanks will also need to be aware of their Acidic Wound debuff stacks and let other tanks get aggro if their stacks are too high.
Gurtogg Bloodboil Abilities
- Fel-Acid Breath — This is a 10-yard AoE cone on a random target in melee range for 2,750 Nature damage every 5 seconds for 20 seconds, but is resistible.
- Arcing Smash — 5,000 damage frontal cleave attack on all targets in front of the boss; has a 10-second cooldown.
- Acidic Wound — Stacking debuff applied on melee hit every 2 seconds. The debuff expires 60 seconds after the last debuff was applied. Reduces Armor by 500 and ticks for 250 damage per stack. Can be avoided by dodge/parry/miss.
- Eject — Knocks back the current target, reducing their total threat.
- Bewildering Strike — Disorients the current target, removing them from the aggro table temporarily for 5 seconds.
- Bloodboil — Casts a debuff every 10 seconds on the five raid members furthest away from the boss, dealing 600 damage per second for 24 seconds. This debuff stacks multiple times, increasing damage per second for each stack. It can be removed with Divine Shield and Ice Block.
- Fel Geyser — This deals 5k Nature damage in a 5-yard AoE on and around the Fel Rage target at the start of Phase 2.
- Insignificance — All raid members get this debuff, preventing them from generating threat.
- Fel-Acid Breath — This ability is now cast on the Fel Rage target only, instead of a random player in melee range.
- Arcing Smash — Damage is increased to 12,000 and now applies a Mortal Strike-style debuff which reduces healing received by 50% for 6 seconds.
- Eject — This does not reduce threat during this phase, and instead of a knockback, it instead stuns the target for 1.5 seconds.
- Fel Rage — This is the buff Gurtogg gains during Phase
Two. It increases his damage dealt by 85%, size by 65%, and applies the aura
- Fury — Increases attack speed by 8% per stack. Gurtogg gains an additional stack on nearly every successful melee attack.
- Fel Rage — This is a 30-second debuff cast on a random
raid member every 90 seconds. Gurtogg will only attack the player with the Fel
Rage debuff. The player with the Fel Rage debuff will have the following stat
- +15k Armor
- +30k Health
- +100% Healing done
- +300% Damage done
- +100% Size
Strategy for Gurtogg Bloodboil
Pulling the Boss
Pulling Gurtogg Bloodboil is very straightforward: simply have a Hunter Misdirection the boss to the tank, or have the tank walk up and engage the boss. After pulling, allow the tanks to position the boss and start building a threat lead. This fight is very threat sensitive, so make sure to go slowly on the opener as a DPS and allow ALL of the tanks time to build threat.
Gurtogg Bloodboil is a very high healing requirement fight, as well as a threat-sensitive fight. Similar to Tempest Keep's Void Reaver encounter, DPS players will need to stay below the tanks' aggro during this fight.
Phase One is very basic. DPS should make sure to stay below tanks on the threat table, while tanks try to stay high on threat. Melee will want to split into multiple groups to avoid Fel-Acid Breath hitting all melee players. Tanks will want to split off to the side, avoiding the front of the boss if you are not currently tanking.
Predetermined groups of 5 will need to be assigned to constantly move in and out to soak the Bloodboil debuffs. Ideally you do not want players getting more than 1 stack of debuffs at a time.
When transitioning from Phase One to Phase Two, the raid will want to spread out to avoid taking too much damage from Fel Geyser.
Gurtogg will fixate and only attack the player with the Fel Rage debuff. All other raid members need to avoid being in front of that player. Healers will need to focus healing massively on the Fel Rage target as they will take massive damage from the boss. The Fel Rage target needs to use all defensive abilities offered by their class to help survive this phase.
During this phase, the raid will get the Insignificance debuff, preventing them from generating threat. Use all of your cooldowns during this phase to nuke the boss as much as possible. When Phase Two is ending soon, 5 players should be in position to soak the next Bloodboil debuffs.
Gurtogg Bloodboil Loot
|Leggings of Divine Retribution||Plate||Legs|
|Belt of Primal Majesty||Leather||Waist|
|Garments of Temperance||Cloth||Chest|
|Girdle of Mighty Resolve||Plate||Waist|
|Girdle of Stability||Plate||Waist|
|Messenger of Fate||Weapon||One-hand Dagger|
|Shroud of Forgiveness||Accessory||Back|
|Staff of Immaculate Recovery||Weapon||Staff|
|Unstoppable Aggressor's Ring||Accessory||Finger|
|Vest of Mounting Assault||Chest|
|Wand of Prismatic Focus||Ranged Weapon||Wand|
Other Black Temple Guides
If you were looking for a full guide for the Black Temple raid, or would like to know what specializations the loot from Gurtogg Bloodboil should be prioritized to, see the links below.
- 29 Dec. 2021: Guide added.
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2022 Financial Results
- EU Season of Mastery To Wrath Classic or Classic Era Transfers Now Live
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: November 1st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 25th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 24th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 21st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 20th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 19th