Protection Paladin Leveling Guide From 1 to 70 for TBC Classic
On this page, you will find our Level by Level Protection Paladin leveling guide for TBC Classic. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level. For more general leveling information, please refer to our Paladin leveling guide. We also have an Retribution Paladin leveling guide and a Holy Paladin leveling guide.
Level by Level Rotation, Talents, and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Leveling Talent Tree & Build
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
- Levels 10 to 14 — 5 points in Redoubt
- Levels 15 to 17 — 3 points in Precision
- Levels 18 to 19 — 2 points in Toughness
Redoubt is a buff that can proc off taking damage, increasing your chance to block considerably. Precision increases your chance to hit with both your attacks and spells. Hit rating is extremely valuable while leveling because missed abilities deal zero damage. Toughness increases your armor value, causing you to take less damage from physical attacks.
- Level 20 — 1 point in Blessing of Kings
- Levels 21 to 23 — 3 points in Shield Specialization
- Levels 24 to 26 — 3 point in Toughness
- Levels 27 to 29 — 3 points in Improved Hammer of Justice
Blessing of Kings is a very situationally useful buff that grants a benefit to all stats, so it is extremely well rounded and strong for leveling. Shield Specialization increases the amount absorbed when blocking an attack. Improved Hammer of Justice reduces the cooldown of Hammer of Justice, which acts as your only crowd controlling ability and can be quite useful to both interrupt casts and stun mobs.
- Level 30 — 1 point in Blessing of Sanctuary
- Levels 31 to 35 — 5 points in Reckoning
- Levels 36 to 39 — 4 points in One-Handed Weapon Specialization
Blessing of Sanctuary reduces your damage taken and returns damage dealt by melee attacks. Reckoning provides a chance to melee swing an additional time after being hit by any damaging attack. One-Handed Weapon Specialization increases all damage you deal while a one handed weapon is equipped.
- Level 40 — 1 point in Holy Shield
- Levels 41 to 42 — 2 points in Improved Holy Shield
- Level 43 — 1 point in One-Handed Weapon Specialization
- Levels 44 to 45 — 2 points in Sacred Duty
- Levels 46 to 49 — 4 points in Combat Expertise
Holy Shield is a powerful buff that increases your block chance and deals damage for each attack blocked, the damage caused by these blocks has its threat amplified by 35%, but it only has four charges and a bit of a cooldown. Improved Holy Shield makes Holy Shield even stronger, increasing the damage it deals and doubling the number of charges, making it quite potent against large numbers of mobs. Sacred Duty increases your Stamina, reduces the cooldown of Divine Shield and it also allows you to auto attack while inside of Divine Shield. Combat Expertise also grants scaling Stamina and gives Expertise. Similar to Hit, Expertise is extremely strong, as it allows for you to deal more damage with attacks you are already using.
- Level 50 — 1 point in Avenger's Shield
- Level 51 — 1 point in Combat Expertise
- Levels 52 to 54 — 3 points in Improved Righteous Fury
- Levels 55 to 59 — 5 points in Ardent Defender
Avenger's Shield is a high damage ranged attack that can bounce to up to three enemy targets, as well as daze them. Improved Righteous Fury increases the amount of threat you generate while you have Righteous Fury active, as well as granting a static damage reduction from all sources. Ardent Defender is a massive flat damage reduction when you are below 35% HP.
- Levels 60 to 64 — 5 points in Divine Strength
- Levels 65 to 69 — 5 points in Improved Seal of Righteousness
- Level 70 — 1 point in Improved Lay on Hands
Divine Strength increases your total Strength, giving you additional block rating, as well as increasing the damage attacks and spells do for more threat. Improved Seal of Righteousness increases the damage done by your attacks while Seal of Righteousness is active, as well as the damage dealt from unleashing it with your Judgement ability. Improved Lay on Hands drastically reduces the cooldown of Lay on Hands, which is a powerful cooldown that you can both use reactively or in a time sensitive situation, where you are running low on Mana but need healing.
- Keep Seal of Righteousness up.
- Use Seal of the Crusader to apply Judgement of the Crusader for added Holy damage.
- Use Consecration on cooldown for more than 1 target, if you have the Mana.
- Use Judgement on cooldown if you have the Mana for it, keeping in mind that you will need to reapply your seal after.
- Use Holy Shield on cooldown.
- Use Hammer of Wrath on cooldown.
- Use Avenger's Shield on cooldown.
List of Trainer Skills to Buy
It is important to buy all abilities as you level as they are cheap and Paladins have quite a few abilities that are extremely powerful in certain situations and you never know when you will need them.
Protection Paladin Macros and Addons
Setting up an user interface and macros early on you will greatly improve the quality of your leveling experience. Check out the Protection Paladin Macros and Addons guides in the link below for the full list.
How to continue to improve your Protection Paladin at level 70
Once you achieve level 70 we suggest you check out Tank Paladin Guide, which goes more in detail of how to play your level 70 Paladin.
Some of the most relevant pages to dive deeper into are:
- The Tank Paladin Talent builds guide includes two different builds for end game Protection paladins, one for general gameplay and mitigation and a second for a larger emphasis on threat generation;
- Our Tank Paladin Rotation guide teaches you how to actually maintain threat and lessen damage intake in a variety of situations. It also includes tips on how to utilize your cooldowns and utility to help mitigate damage.
- Check out the Protection Paladin Stats guide if you would like to learn how each stat effects your survivability and threat;
- The Gear guide for Tank Paladin includes a list of gear to for you to acquire and where to find it;
- Wrath Classic Phase 2 Launching on January 17th
- Naxxramas Achievement Rewards to Remain Available Throughout Wrath Classic
- Patch 3.4.1 PTR Development Notes: January 6th
- Summon Gargoyle Changes on the Wrath Classic PTR
- Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge Achievements Coming to Wrath Classic
- No Changes Planned for Ulduar Tier Sets Beyond 6 Item Level Bump
- Wrath Classic Season 1 Ends January 9th
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update