Moam Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Moam is the third boss in the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, but the first of the optional bosses.
Moam has a first of its kind mechanic in Classic WoW, where you must focus on keeping the boss's Mana from ever reaching 100% to avoid wiping. This means your Priests, Warlocks, and Hunters will be busy using Mana drains the entire time, while the rest of your raid burns him down.
Moam Summary by Role
- Absolutely do not use a Paladin to tank this fight if you are Alliance.
- You will only need a single tank for the boss, as there are no special tank mechanics this fight. If you do reach the intermission, your tank can pick up any of the three adds that your group is unable to banish, but they will die relatively easily.
- Your Mana will be constantly drained while Moam is active, so have Mana potions and other Mana consumables ready for this fight.
- All of your priests need to do nothing but cast Mana Burn on Moam.
- Priests, Warlocks, and Hunters must use Mana Burn, Mana Drain, and Viper Sting as much as possible whenever Moam is active.
- If you do not have a Mana drain ability to use, just burn the boss. If your group has mostly raid-geared players, you should be able to kill the boss before the intermission.
- If you do reach the intermission, any Warlocks should use Banish on the adds that spawn.
General Tips for Moam
- All players with Mana drain abilities need to use them as much as possible. This includes Priests, Hunters, and Warlocks.
- Any casters in the group should have Mana potions and other consumables for this fight, since the boss will drain their Mana.
- Try to kill Moam before the intermission, but do not panic if you do not have the damage for it. Either Banish or kill the three adds that spawn.
Strategy for Moam
Moam is a very simple fight that entirely comes down to your raid's output. Moam has exactly one mechanic, which is his Mana drain ability. While Moam is active, he will constantly drain your raid's Mana, adding it to his own pool. If Moam reaches full Mana, he will cast an explosion that will wipe the raid. To stop this, you will want any Priests, Warlocks, and Hunters in the raid to constantly be using Mana Burn, Mana Drain, and Viper Sting whenever Moam is active. If you do this, you can delay Moam's Mana drain enough to let you kill him before he ever reaches full Mana. Once you engage Moam, you have about 90 seconds until the second phase triggers, but this should be enough time to kill him for most groups.
If you do take more than 90 seconds, Moam will become invulnerable for a short time, spawning three adds. These adds can either be killed or Banished by Warlocks in your raid. Regardless of how you deal with them, the boss will become active again after a short time, and you will just resume killing him like in Phase 1. The only thing to focus on is draining his Mana and killing him before he ever reaches full Mana.
- 23 Jun. 2020: Guide added.
- Blizzard Discusses WoW Token in Classic
- WoW Token Added to Wrath Classic
- Wrath Classic Joyous Journeys 50% Experience Buff Is Back!
- Wrath Classic Patch 3.4.2 PTR Notes: May 18th
- Death Heat Map for Hardcore Characters and Their Killers
- BlizzCon 2023 in Coming on Nov 3-4
- Blizzard Announces Hardcore Classic
- Icy Veins is Getting a New Look