Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj (AQ20) Raid Guides
The Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj is located in Silithus, and is meant to be an introductory 20-man raid to the larger and more challenging Temple of Ahn'Qiraj, the new 40-man raid introduced in this patch.
The Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, also known as AQ 20, is an excellent catch-up raid for anyone looking to get into end-game raiding after hitting Level 60, or for guilds looking to gear up new players and alts.
Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, or more commonly called AQ 20, is the smaller of the two raids released with the Ahn'Qiraj update in Phase 5 of WoW Classic. This raid is meant to be an introduction into the major raid of this content update, the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj (or AQ 40), where you will face off against the Old God C'Thun. Within the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, however, you will face off against far fewer bosses, eventually facing Ossirian the Unscarred.
Getting into the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj
In order to open the Wall, and allow access into both the 40-man and 20-man raids, your server will need to complete both the War Effort and Scepter of the Shifting Sands questline. You can find our guides for these below:
Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj Attunement
Luckily, there is no attunement for this raid! As long as your server has gotten rid of the Scarab Wall by completing the two questlines described above, you are free to enter. As a 20-man raid, this raid is meant to be similar to Zul'Gurub as a catch-up raid for guilds, so do not be afraid to try it out!
Recommended Classes for the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj
The Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj is a 20-man raid, which means you can have up to 20 people in your raid group while inside. Because of the more relaxed difficulty compared to the 40-man raid, you should not be afraid to run a less ideal composition. If you do wish to run a strictly optimal raid composition, however, the best setup is detailed below.
Warriors and Rogues continue to be the overall strongest DPS in WoW Classic, but Mages can finally specialize into the Fire tree and start getting some really strong caster gear, which will make them very competitive until the end of WoW Classic. That being said, ranged DPS will actually be preferable for some of the fights, with Warlocks and Priests being especially useful for Moam.
Unfortunately, it is around this point that Hunters start falling off, doing significantly less damage than other ranged damage dealing classes, due to the powerful caster gear from these raids. Because of this, only one is recommended in an optimal setup, and mostly for their unique utility. Alliance players might want to bring more for their Aspect of the Wild aura, in which case they would replace other DPS players in the setup.
- 5 Warriors (1 dedicated Tank Warrior and 2+ Warriors that can off-tank when needed)
- 2 Rogues
- 3 Mages
- 3 Warlocks
- 1 Hunter for Tranquilizing Shot and trash pulling or kiting.
- 2 Holy Paladins / 2 Restoration Shamans
- 3 Priests (all healers)
- 1 Restoration Druids
For more information about the best healers, tanks, and DPS, check out the tier lists for each here.
While the above setup is what would be considered an optimal group in a perfect world, it is important to emphasize that you can complete the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj with almost any raid composition, due to the lower difficulty of the raid compared to its 40-man counterpart. This raid is meant to be more of a catch-up raid, so do not be afraid to make use of it for just that, to get newer or lesser geared characters up to speed.
At the end of the day, players are more important than specs and classes in WoW Classic, so try not to focus too much on crafting an ideal group if it will hurt the social cohesion of your group.
Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj Boss Guides
While there are 6 bosses in total in this raid, 3 of them are optional and can be skipped to get to Ossirian the Unscarred faster, or if you do not need their loot. Once you kill the first two bosses, you will have access to all of the remaining bosses and can pick and choose which ones you would like to attempt.
- General Rajaxx
- Moam (optional)
- Buru the Gorger (optional)
- Ayamiss the Hunter (optional)
- Ossirian the Unscarred
Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj Boss Loot
Each boss page contains a list of the loot that the specific boss drops, but you can see a full list of available drops on our Temple of Ahn'Qiraj Loot page, which will be added in the near future.
- 23 Jun. 2020: Guide added.
- Upcoming Burning Crusade Classic Realm Consolidation: August 10th
- Free Character Moves from Firemaw
- The Burning Crusade Classic Character Clone Service Retiring Soon
- World First Classic Sunwell Plateau Kill Claimed by Old School
- The Sunwell Plateau Is Now Live on Burning Crusade Classic
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 5 Guides Now Live
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 5th
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 5 Arrives May 10th
- Healing Druids (Moonglow/NG) - Crit Chance
- Jolteon 1 - Pendulum of DOOM PvP - Level 39 BiS Enhancement Shaman TBC
- Jailer is in ICC!
- Icy Veins Talent Sequence Addon
- Shaman Tank comprehensive guide - Learn how to master World of Warcraft Classic Season of Mastery as a proficient Shaman Tank
- Melee Hunter Guide - Playing World of Warcraft as a Melee Hunter
- A-Whitemane-OHANA 8/10
- Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank