Onyxia Horde Attunement Guide
Onyxia's Lair has one of the longest attunement quests in Classic, with two separate questlines for the two factions. This page contains the Horde attunement questline, but if you play Alliance, you can take a look at our Alliance attunement guide for Onyxia's Lair.
In order to enter Onyxia's Lair, players will need to have a Drakefire Amulet, which is obtained through a faction-specific attunement quest chain.
Quest Chain for Onyxia's Lair Attunement (Horde)
The quest chain for the Horde is split into groups of quests and we have outlined the full progression of quests below.
- Rend Blackhand quest group:
- Warlord's Command
- Eitrigg's Wisdom
- For The Horde!
- Rexxar quest group:
- What the Wind Carries
- The Champion of the Horde
- The Testament of Rexxar
- Oculus Illusions
- The Test of Skulls quest group:
- The Test of Skulls, Scryer
- The Test of Skulls, Somnus
- The Test of Skulls, Chronalis
- General Drakkisath quest group:
- The Test of Skulls, Axtroz
- Blood of the Black Dragon Champion
To start the quest chain, you will need to be at least Level 55, but you must be Level 56 to finish it.
Rend Blackhand Quest Group
To start the attunement quest chain, you will need to head to Warlord Goretooth, who can be found in one of the towers in Kargath, in the Badlands.
Go through his dialogue and, after finishing it, click on the Warlord Goretooth's Command in your inventory to start the first quest, Warlord's Command.
The quest tasks you with killing 3 bosses in Blackrock Spire: Overlord Wyrmthalak, Highlord Omokk, and War Master Voone. These 3 can be found in Lower Blackrock Spire and, after killing them, make sure to check the surrounding area for any documents laying on the ground. The Important Blackrock Documents can be found on the ground behind one of them at random.
Once you have completed this task, return to Goretooth in the Badlands and accept the second quest, Eitrigg's Wisdom. This will send you to Orgrimmar, where you need to speak to Eitrigg and then hand the quest in to Thrall, who will give you the final quest of this section, For The Horde!.
This final quest requires you to head to Upper Blackrock Spire and kill Warchief Rend Blackhand and retrieve the Head of Rend Blackhand. Return to Thrall with the head and you will have completed the first part of the attunement.
Rexxar Quest Group
The second section of the attunement starts where the previous section left off, with Thrall. Speak to him and accept What the Wind Carries; the only objective is to speak to Thrall and listen to what he has to say.
Once he is finished, he will give you The Champion of the Horde, which will send you to the Desolace area to find Rexxar. Rexxar patrols the main road of the zone, so simply follow it until you find him.
Once you do, you can hand in the quest and accept the next part, The Testament of Rexxar, which tasks you with delivering Rexxar's Testament to Myranda the Hag in the Western Plaguelands. She can be found near Uther's Tomb in Sorrow Hill.
Myranda will give you the next quest, Oculus Illusions, which requires you to head to Upper Blackrock Spire and collect 20 Black Dragonspawn Eye from the dragon mobs that inhabit the dungeon.
Head back to Myranda to receive the final quest in this section, Emberstrife. You can find him to the south of The Wyrmbog in Dustwallow Marsh, inside a cave called Emberstrife's Den.
Use the Amulet of Draconic Subversion that was given to you by Myranda and then speak to Emberstrife to hand in the quest.
The Test of Skulls Quest Group
The three quests in this section can be completed in any order, with each one requiring you to kill a dragon and loot their skulls.
- The Test of Skulls, Chronalis — Chronalis is found at the entrance of the Caverns of Time in Tanaris.
- The Test of Skulls, Scryer — Scryer is found to the southwest of Everlook in Winterspring.
- The Test of Skulls, Somnus — Somnus is found in the Swamp of Sorrows, patrolling an area of the swamp to the southeast of the Sunken Temple entrance.
Note that all of these dragons are at least Level 60 elites, so you will likely need a group to kill them.
General Drakkisath Quest Group
The final section of the attunement questline ends with a chain leading to the defeat of General Drakkisath.
You start the quest with Emberstrife, who gives you another Test of Skulls quest, The Test of Skulls, Axtroz. Axtroz can be found in the east of the Wetlands area, patrolling the path that leads to Grim Batol.
Kill him and collect his skull before returning to Emberstrife, who will give you the next quest in the section, Ascension....
You will need to take the now depleted amulet to Rexxar, who you will have to find in Desolace again. He will give you the final quest in the chain, Blood of the Black Dragon Champion, which tasks you with killing General Drakkisath in Upper Blackrock Spire.
Kill him and loot the Blood of the Black Dragon Champion, which you can return to Rexxar for your Drakefire Amulet, which will now unlock Onyxia's Lair.
- 15 Nov. 2019: Guide added.
- WoW Classic Achievements Addon
- First Signs of the Burning Crusade Classic Beta
- Blizzard Clarify Classic Era Realm Boost Availability
- BC Classic: Shadowlands Client, Phases Not Set in Stone, Raid Attuenement Details and a Lot More - MrGM Interview
- Burning Crusade Classic Will Be Based Off the Final Patch, No Class Tuning and "Some Changes"
- Burning Crusade Classic Beta Opt-in, FAQ, No Gold Cap for Transfers to BC Realms
- Burning Crusade Raid Bosses Will Be Original, Un-nerfed Versions, With a Twist
- Burning Crusade Classic Characters and Realms Explanations
- Shaman Tank Guide - Shaman Tanking in WoW
- No one wants retris
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?
- TBC Transition+
- Looking for guild with EARLY RAID TIMES
- [H][EU][Skullflame] Impact Recruiting to raid Naxx Wednesday and Sunday
- Shadowlands Threads of Fate Question
- Power Word: Shield Macro