Whirlwind Barbarian Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
The Whirlwind Barbarian is an iconic build that revolves around Whirlwind, a skill that allows the Barbarian to move and attack simultaneously. Ever gear-dependent, as are most Barbarian builds, Whirlwind is popular due to being one of the only Barbarian skills to deal area of effect damage. Players looking for a build that is both competitive in PvE and PvP may certainly find the WW Barb to their liking.
One of the strongest points for using Whirlwind is that it is one of the few Barbarian skills that can deal area of effect damage. This allows for the Barbarian to fight larger masses of monsters at once instead of focusing on isolating targets or fighting off smaller groups. The Whirlwind Barbarian struggles a bit while undergeared but, once decent Attack Rating and damage have been acquired, it quickly becomes a powerful build capable of beating any area in the game.
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Whirlwind Barbarian Skill Build
The following section shows the default skill build for the Whirlwind Barbarian. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
- 1 point to all prerequisites
- 20 points to Whirlwind — Main damage skill, required
- 1 point to Leap Attack — Useful for movement, required
- 20 points to Weapon Mastery of choice (for instance, Sword Mastery) — Passively increases damage, Attack Rating, and Critical Strike
- 1 point to Increased Speed — Helps you move faster, required
- 1 point to Natural Resistance — Massive boost to Resistances, required
- 1 point to Battle Command — Increases the level of all skills, required
- 20 points to Battle Orders — Massive Life and Mana increase, required
- 1+ points to Shout — Increases Defense, required
Whirlwind Barbarian Skill Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 150 total||Enough for gear||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for this build on our Skills page.
Whirlwind Barbarian Gear
The following section shows some of the most important items for the Whirlwind Barbarian. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all WW Barb items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear page of this guide.
- Weapon: Grief
- Weapon Offhand: Breath of the Dying, Death, Grief, or Beast
- Weapon Swap: Two +3 Warcries javelins
- Body Armor: Fortitude or Enigma
- Helm: Arreat's Face
- Gloves: Steelrend or Laying of Hands
- Boots: Gore Rider
- Belt: Verdungo's Hearty Cord
- Ring 1: Raven Frost
- Ring 2: Raven Frost or Rare ring with Life, Resistances, and useful stats
- Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
- Charm 1: Barbarian Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: Small Charms with Maximum Damage, Attack Rating, and Life (such Charms are commonly known as 3/20/20s)
- Charm 4: Small Charms with Life, Resistances, Mana, or Faster Hit Recovery, depending on needs
MrLlamaSC's Whirlwind Barbarian Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
Whirlwind Barbarian Skill Breakpoints
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Hit Recovery Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||9||8||7||6||5||4||3|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||7%||15%||27%||48%||86%||200%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||13||12||11||10||9||8||7|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||9%||20%||37%||63%||105%||200%|
Whirlwind Barbarian Skill Mercenary
- Weapon: Ethereal Insight or The Reaper's Toll
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Ethereal Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Whirlwind Barbarian Skill Early Leveling
The following section features a generic Barbarian skill point progression meant to make leveling towards becoming a Whirlwind Barbarian smoother.
- 1 points to Bash
- 4 points to Mace Mastery
- 6 points to Double Swing from level 6 to 11
- 1 point to Double Throw at level 12
- All remaining points to Mace Mastery (or Weapon Mastery of your choice) until level 24
- All remaining points to Frenzy until ready to respec into Whirlwind at level 30
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Barbarian Fastest Leveling Build.
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Upcoming Dev Campfire Chat: November 30th
- Player Gathers All Uber Uniques and Asks “Did I Beat the Game?”
- Diablo 4 Steam Discount and Free Trial
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.2.2 Hotfixes: November 20th
- Diablo 4 Mother’s Blessing XP and Gold Buff Bugged, to Be Increased and Live This Week
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.2.2 Hotfixes: November 17th
- Mother’s Blessing Returns to Sanctuary (November 20-27)