Throw Barbarian Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
The Throw Barbarian is a heavily gear dependent character that takes advantage of the Double Throw and Throwing Mastery skills. While the build can put out a lot of single-target damage, its area of effect damage is very lacking, and so must be played carefully against large group of enemies, with Howl typically used to isolate Unique monsters. Although damage may be low without gear, the Throw Barb is capable of taking on Uber Tristram once fully built.
Dual wielding Throwing Weapons on the Barbarian is not the first thing someone thinks about when they see a giant tank, but it is actually a viable build that can play through all areas of the game including Uber Tristram. The lack of area of effect damage and steep gearing requirements makes the build fairly inaccessible, especially on the first time playing through the game, but for an endgame build or a difficult challenge, the Throw Barb is a fabulous choice.
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Throw Barbarian Skill Build
The following section shows the default skill build for Double Throw Barbarian. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
- 1 point to all prerequisites
- 20 points to Double Throw — Main damage skill, required
- 20 points to Double Swing — damage synergy for Double Throw, required
- 1 point to Leap — Helpful for avoiding surrounds and escaping, required
- 20 points to Throwing Mastery — Main damage mastery, required
- 1 point to Increased Speed — Increases movement speed, required
- 1 point to Natural Resistance — Increases Resistances, required
- 20 points to Battle Orders — Massive Life and Mana gain, required
- 1+ points to Howl — Useful for scaring monsters away to isolate Unique enemies, required
- 1 point to Battle Command — Adds a temporary skill bonus to all skills, required
Throw Barbarian Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 120 Strength||Enough for gear; around 110 Dexterity||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for this build on our Skills page.
Throw Barbarian Gear
The following section shows some of the most important Items for the Throw Barbarian. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all Throw Barbarian items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear pageof this guide.
- Weapon: Ethereal Lacerator
- Weapon 2: Ethereal Warshrike
- Weapon Swap: Two +3 to Warcries javelins
- Body Armor: Fortitude
- Helm: Arreat's Face
- Gloves: Laying of Hands
- Boots: Gore Rider
- Belt: Razortail
- Ring 1: Raven Frost
- Ring 2: Raven Frost, Dwarf Star, or Wisp Projector
- Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
- Charm 1: Barbarian Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: Barbarian Combat Grand Charms with Life
- Charm 4: Any Charm with Maximum Damage, Attack Rating, and Life
- Charm 5: 10 Small Charms with Life, Resistances, Mana, or Faster Hit Recovery, depending on needs
MrLlamaSC's Throw Barbarian Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
Throw Barbarian Breakpoints
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Hit Recovery Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||9||8||7||6||5||4||3|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||7%||15%||27%||48%||86%||200%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||13||12||11||10||9||8||7|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||9%||20%||37%||63%||105%||200%|
Singer Barbarian Mercenary
The optimal Mercenary in for the Throw Barbarian is an Act 1 Cold Mercenary, but only if you can afford Faith. Otherwise, using an Act 2 Mercenary ( Blessed Aim, Might, or Holy Freeze) is preferable.
- Weapon: Faith (Rogue) or Pride (Desert Guard)
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Singer Barbarian Early Leveling
The following section features a generic Throw Barbarian skill point progression.
- 1 point to Bash
- 5 points to Double Swing from level 6
- 6 points to Throwing Mastery between level 6 and 11 with leftover points
- Max points to Double Throw starting at level 12
- All remaining points to Throwing Mastery
- All remaining points to Double Swing
- Respec to add in Natural Resistance and Battle Orders when appropriate, at some point in Nightmare
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Barbarian Fastest Leveling Build.
- 30 Sep. 2021 (this page): Added video guide embed.
- 20 Sep. 2021 (gear page): Page added.
- 20 Sep. 2021 (skills page): Page added.
- 20 Sep. 2021 (this page): Build added.
- Seasonal Legendaries and Uniques Will Come to Eternal Realms At the Same Time
- 40 Important Diablo 4 Glossary Terms Explained Quickly (Video)
- Official Diablo 4 Hardcore Level 100 Contest Updated to Exclude Those With Preview Codes
- Diablo 4 Launch Live Action Trailer
- Diablo 4 Launch Guide - Everything You Need to Know
- BlizzCon 2023 in Coming on Nov 3-4
- World Boss Ashava Spawn Times on the Diablo 4 Server Slam
- Diablo 4 World Boss Ashava Solo Hardcore Kill at Level 20