Aleco

Receive Two Free KFT Packs and an Arena Ticket for Logging in to Hearthstone on Halloween

Sign in to follow this  

21 posts in this topic

5EpW9mt.jpg

Don't forget to log in to Hearthstone today! You'll receive two free KFT packs and a free Arena run for your troubles.

Blizzard is giving away two free Knights of the Frozen Throne packs and one free Arena run as a reward for logging in to Hearthstone on Halloween. Don't miss out on this golden opportunity to play the Hallow's End dual-class Arena for free, as this special Arena is already regarded as one of the best holiday events in the history of Hearthstone.

• Like 2

I think there is no reason to complain. When I look at a lot of tavern brawls they made I could cry how bad they are made but this is a funny thing and not forever just for halloween. I think a lot of players who had nice cross class combos in normal games (through discovery) will enjoy this.

And no one's forcing you to play it. Just make a deck, retire and get a free pack and some dust or gold :)

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caldyrvan said:

I think there is no reason to complain.

Yes there is.

When I look at a lot of tavern brawls they made I could cry how bad they are made

So could I, but that's entirely beside the point. Tavern Brawl has always been the "let's try dumb stuff out" portion of HS.

this is a funny thing

No, it really, really, really is not. This is "Randomonium" levels of pathetic.

and not forever just for halloween.

And (censored) thanks (censored) God! What Arena needs is balance, not this absolute crapfest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, got Arfus and Valeera the Hollow, thanks Blizzard.

But yeah, double class Arena was fun at first, but I felt it got old real quick, I like the idea of changing the rules of Arena once in a while, but not like this.

The new arena is just awful. Can't wait to see the regular arena return. There are so many ways to make arena interesting, but they went for Encounter-at-the-Crossroads-for-the-eighth-time level of fun. Disappointing at best.

I for one have been really enjoying the dual-class Arena! Though it does make things a bit more random and harder to predict, an alternative way to look at it is that the skill cap in the dual-class Arena is even higher than normal. The top Arena pros have been stringing together more 12 win runs than ever during this event, and I believe that is due to the fact that there are more difficult decisions to them to make, which creates even more opportunities for their higher skill to shine through the randomness than normal. 

2 hours ago, Aleco said:

The top Arena pros have been stringing together more 12 win runs than ever during this event, and I believe that is due to the fact that there are more difficult decisions to them to make, which creates even more opportunities for their higher skill to shine through the randomness than normal. 

More because they're playing more, or higher percentage of 12-wins than normal? In theory, the top players should be averaging higher than usual, given that the overall standard should be lower than usual (everyone getting free entries).

Personally quite enjoyed it as a novelty, and like that they did it. At the same time, not really enjoying arena in general these days. KFT really messed up arena balance imo. Agree with Kripp, Death Knights should never have been in arena. They're fun when you get them, but no fun to play against and just make many games one-sided or completely determined on how deep down one card is in its deck. Feels like fewer and fewer games come down to the skill of either player to me.

2 hours ago, Bozonik said:

Agree with Kripp, Death Knights should never have been in arena. 

Totally agree with you there! Whereas legendary minions can typically be answered by a well constructed Arena deck, Death Knights offer so much value over a long game that they're just too difficult to overcome without ridiculous card quality.

2 hours ago, Bozonik said:

More because they're playing more, or higher percentage of 12-wins than normal? In theory, the top players should be averaging higher than usual, given that the overall standard should be lower than usual (everyone getting free entries).

It appears to me that they're getting many more 12 win runs than they would outside of the event. Though the free entry players are certainly a factor in the first few matches I'd guess that they'd be mostly gone by the time you reach the 9 to 11 win mark.

I believe that Arena's main issues are common\rare\epic\legendary system and huge luck factor in drafting

I would prefer 3 crads being offered on some different criteria and in a way that gives decks of roughly equal power.

Something like giving sets of 3 cards with similar global winrate in arena would be much more preferable for me.

Yeah, free 2 packs and an arena-run :)

My packs gave me 2 x rare, 8 x common (I don't have any luck with the last 40 packs or something like that).

Unfortunatly my arena-run totally sucked (1:3...)

My deck didn't seem that bad (not great, I got one legendary card. And the best avaiable legendary was Nat Pagle, no shit!) but well, I just sucked *g*

17 hours ago, Aleco said:It appears to me that they're getting many more 12 win runs than they would outside of the event. Though the free entry players are certainly a factor in the first few matches I'd guess that they'd be mostly gone by the time you reach the 9 to 11 win mark.

Sure, but it filters through since the typical 9-win opponent during the event will be more like the typical 7/8-win opponent outside of the event as they've also faced easier opponents along the way.

And a new meta, even if temporary, should provide opportunities for those quickest to figure it out.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:56 AM, Strongpoint said:

I believe that Arena's main issues are common\rare\epic\legendary system and huge luck factor in drafting

I would prefer 3 crads being offered on some different criteria and in a way that gives decks of roughly equal power.

Something like giving sets of 3 cards with similar global winrate in arena would be much more preferable for me.

Thing is, how do you judge that level of power? Would giving Flamestrike to a Mage be the same as giving a Rogue Fan of Knives? Explosive Trap and Blizzard? Fireball and Eviscerate? I think it's incredibly difficult to do it by any criteria other than rarity, simply because of how different the actual classes are. 

Blade Flurry can be better than Flamestrike with a good weapon, so is it rated higher or lower? The same? How do the weapons rank? 

6 hours ago, Blainie said:

Thing is, how do you judge that level of power? Would giving Flamestrike to a Mage be the same as giving a Rogue Fan of Knives? Explosive Trap and Blizzard? Fireball and Eviscerate? I think it's incredibly difficult to do it by any criteria other than rarity, simply because of how different the actual classes are.

I would use Blizzard's internal statistics aka winrate of the card in arena for the past few weeks dynamically changing. First few weeks of new expansion will have all new cards at 50%, creating a special meta happening three times per year.

It is objective data. It creates decisions in draft. It gives good players an edge by letting them to draft hard to play cards that have lower than they deserve global winrate. It balances classes, if class has a ton of high quality class cards it will get fewer of them. If class has shitty class cards it will get more bonemares to compensate. It makes all decks closer to each other in power. It is far from ideal, but it is far better than what we have today.

The problem is as well that there are pretty strong and pretty bad legends/epics. I understand blizz creates the shitty high rarity cards so ppl have lower chance to get the good ones and hopefully throw more money at them.

But for arena it makes no sense. They should just remove those obviously bad cards ;)

Edited by Caldyrvan

On 11/6/2017 at 4:11 PM, Strongpoint said:

I would use Blizzard's internal statistics aka winrate of the card in arena for the past few weeks dynamically changing. First few weeks of new expansion will have all new cards at 50%, creating a special meta happening three times per year.

Interesting way of doing it - I don't think this would work for legendaries at all though. You can draft a 3 legendary deck and never draw them while going 0-3. You can win with Patches and no pirates and go 10-3. I think they should be independent of it.

On 07.11.2017 at 4:31 AM, Caldyrvan said:

The problem is as well that there are pretty strong and pretty bad legends/epics. I understand blizz creates the shitty high rarity cards so ppl have lower chance to get the good ones and hopefully throw more money at them.

But for arena it makes no sense. They should just remove those obviously bad cards ;)

I hate the whole idea of removing cards from arena. Arena is the place I want to play cards that I'd never put in a constructed deck. And I want it doing because I made such choice not because I got unlucky.

It can be fun to choose between Backstreet Leper Shieldbearer and Grimscale Oracle

But only if you know that you get fair decks and your opponents have similar choices. It is far more interesting choice than "choosing" between UI and two shitty epics.

3 hours ago, Blainie said:

Interesting way of doing it - I don't think this would work for legendaries at all though. You can draft a 3 legendary deck and never draw them while going 0-3. You can win with Patches and no pirates and go 10-3. I think they should be independent of it.

Never draw them going 0-3 will even out in global statistics. Maybe winrate of when drawn can be better than winrate when in the deck (but cards that still in your deck do influence your play, so it doesn't seem right)

Also, why legendaries should be special? Why not good spells or something like Bonemare

2 hours ago, Strongpoint said:

Also, why legendaries should be special? Why not good spells or something like Bonemare

Because legendaries are normally not as straight forward as something like Bonemare. Bonemare is a straight 4/4 buff with a 5/5 body on board. You know exactly what it does and it normally has a straight forward impact on the game.

Think about how many legendaries have completely unpredictable outcomes. Whether it's RNG targeting, random effects that you can't control, effects that rely on time of triggering etc. They have so much more potential to be either amazing or awful because of it, so are so much harder to quantify.

7 hours ago, Blainie said:

Think about how many legendaries have completely unpredictable outcomes. Whether it's RNG targeting, random effects that you can't control, effects that rely on time of triggering etc. They have so much more potential to be either amazing or awful because of it, so are so much harder to quantify.

Servant of Yogg-Saron is a rare and it has huge variance attached. Should it be treated differently, too?

We are discussing thing that will never happen, but if, in this hypothetical system, late in draft,  you choose between three cards with low winrate it is obvious that some cards will be strong for you because of synergies (N'Zoth, the Corruptor with zero deathrattles and ten deathrattles is very different in power. or just type of deck (Sinister Strike in some crazy aggresive rogue deck may be a fine card). Decks won't have same power level

3 hours ago, Strongpoint said:

Servant of Yogg-Saron is a rare and it has huge variance attached. Should it be treated differently, too?

We are discussing thing that will never happen, but if, in this hypothetical system, late in draft,  you choose between three cards with low winrate it is obvious that some cards will be strong for you because of synergies (N'Zoth, the Corruptor with zero deathrattles and ten deathrattles is very different in power. or just type of deck (Sinister Strike in some crazy aggresive rogue deck may be a fine card). Decks won't have same power level

But then compare Servant to the real Yogg, there's definitely a huge difference in the amount of RNG. N'Zoth is a far better example of varying usefulness though.

• Like 1