FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Caldyrvan

Dungeon Run, first impression

I'll make it short: It is as I thought it will be.

It was fun and really interesting .... for a few games, but I quickly felt like "Ok, lets get over with this fast and get my 3rd pack". Then I said to myself "C'mon go on try to enjoy it" and I tried, I tried really hard but it didn't get any better. I took a break to get a clear head and started again with much better mood and being optimistic again ...well. it didn't help.

Don't get me wrong now, it's nicely made, detailed etc but it's not compelling for me. I didn't expect the dungeons runs to be like an awesome book you can't stop reading but I see no reason to put more time into this. Maybe if I get the new daily quest for it, but that's it.

But to everyone enjoying the dungeon runs: Have fun and good luck with the final bosses :)

Edited by Caldyrvan

- N'zoth package despite having no deathrattles in the deck: check.

- C'thun package without enough C'thun minions to activate the Twins: check.

- Card packages and treasures actively f*cking you over when facing certain bosses: check.

Yeah, the playtesting was through the roof, here. Oh, well. "When in doubt, SMorc it out!" (Rexxar approves of this!)

There is a Trogg boss, which screws me every single time. 

First run with mage, lost to it at 6th boss;

Second run with priest, lost to it at 7th boss,

Third run with rogue, lost to it at 6th boss,

WTF is this!!!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, FanOfValeera said:

There is a Trogg boss, which screws me every single time.

Is it the one that does one damage to his minion and gives it +5ish attack?  I ran into that one on each of my runs and it's definitely tough but doable.

I did three runs total, really should have saved a video of them as they are entertaining.  First run was as a mage, and I feel as if I cheated somehow.  My special ability was the +3 spell damage cloak (twice).  12 damage fireballs and 8 damage blizzards are insane.  Got through the entire run, including defeating the Darkness at the end (the final boss that summons 5/5 minions every turn for free).

Next run was as a Druid.  I didn't go into it with a great plan, so lost on boss #5.  Don't recall the name, but it's the one that can boost it's own minions with the hero power.  They got a wide board as I didn't have any AoE and boosted it twice to wipe me out.  Tried Druid again for my third run and this time went with the special ability to give all my minions +1/1 and starting with an extra mana crystal (second special ability).  That coupled with a plethora of jade cards allowed me to overpower everything including the final boss (the one that gets "beams" every turn that do everything from steal a minion to destroy one of my mana crystals).  Thankfully that one didn't have any AoE and I picked up 4 Aya Blackpaws.

Overall I fully enjoyed the dungeon experience.  It's a bit long if you do well, so you have to plan accordingly, but worth it imho.

3 hours ago, Mursilis said:

Is it the one that does one damage to his minion and gives it +5ish attack?  I ran into that one on each of my runs and it's definitely tough but doable.

I did three runs total, really should have saved a video of them as they are entertaining.  First run was as a mage, and I feel as if I cheated somehow.  My special ability was the +3 spell damage cloak (twice).  12 damage fireballs and 8 damage blizzards are insane.  Got through the entire run, including defeating the Darkness at the end (the final boss that summons 5/5 minions every turn for free).

Next run was as a Druid.  I didn't go into it with a great plan, so lost on boss #5.  Don't recall the name, but it's the one that can boost it's own minions with the hero power.  They got a wide board as I didn't have any AoE and boosted it twice to wipe me out.  Tried Druid again for my third run and this time went with the special ability to give all my minions +1/1 and starting with an extra mana crystal (second special ability).  That coupled with a plethora of jade cards allowed me to overpower everything including the final boss (the one that gets "beams" every turn that do everything from steal a minion to destroy one of my mana crystals).  Thankfully that one didn't have any AoE and I picked up 4 Aya Blackpaws.

Overall I fully enjoyed the dungeon experience.  It's a bit long if you do well, so you have to plan accordingly, but worth it imho.

I went against him for the first time this run in NA. Well, that was a weird run, I got Mal'Ganis and a couple of Voidcaller, and cloak as a treasure (the one which gives your minions permanent stealth) I just summoned Mal'Ganis, I was totally immune, and the eternal guy has stealth. If my opponent was not AI, he would go crazy, but AI's don't have feelings.

In the end, I managed to lost to Xol though, after a lucky Dark Bargain which killed my Mal'Ganis and I couldn't draw the second copy. Yeah, I got another one, Krul the UnshackledKazakus, 3xAbyssal EnforcerDoomguard, 2xPossessed Lackey to recruit them and also a Bloodreaver Gul'dan. There is no way I can get something similar again, so I felt prety frustrated after this run.

Edited by FanOfValeera

2 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

I went against him for the first time this run in NA. Well, that was a weird run, I got Mal'Ganis and a couple of Voidcaller, and cloak as a treasure (the one which gives your minions permanent stealth) I just summoned Mal'Ganis, I was totally immune, and the eternal guy has stealth. If my opponent was not AI, he would go crazy, but AI's don't have feelings.

In the end, I managed to lost to Xol though, after a lucky Dark Bargain which killed my Mal'Ganis and I couldn't draw the second copy. Yeah, I got another one, Krul the UnshackledKazakus, 3xAbyssal EnforcerDoomguard, 2xPossessed Lackey to recruit them and also a Bloodreaver Gul'dan. There is no way I can get something similar again, so I felt prety frustrated after this run.

That's just some very unlucky play there.  A deck like that should have allowed you to walk through your opponents, stealthed minions with one giving you immunity just sounds illegal.

I got the feeling I was too quick with my bad opinion on the Dungeon Runs so I gave it another try, or better said a few.

I see some nice challenge there, beating the bosses, making good choices for your loot but even with the best choices it's still too luck based. I had a lot of incredibly easy and a lot of incredibly hard games, barely something in between.

I'm pretty sure everyone who will beat it with all nine classes will do this in a similar way to the the Lich King, a ton of patience and grinding and getting lucky. It's very time consuming and when you fail you have to do all again, the boringly easy first bosses quickly become uninteresting, nevertheless you have to fight them.

So my opinion dind't get any better :D What a waste. But nice try blizz ;)

I finally complete the quest with Priest and luckily I got two double health. So for the final boss, they ran out of cards and kill themselves. I tried many times, but it's nearly impossible without having those. 

The time I spend playing HS is already enough. No need to spend 2 or more additional hours per day just to try this.

Maybe if it would be less time consuming. I think they should have put in some kind of save points. E.g. after the first boss when you get your first treasure and after the next boss when you get your 2nd treasure. You may get good treasure then a bad. Pointless. Or you can get 2 good treasures as well as good cards but you get simply unlucky and beaten by RNG. Even though you might have made the best choices and got the best possible items you have to start again ... and again.

I still like the idea and general design of the dungeon runs and in theory (I really doubt they have tested this thoroughly) it sounds all good but how it plays in really is not interesting/compelling enough.

Edited by Caldyrvan

Has anyone gone up against the candlemaster, and did you even get vaguely close to beating him?  I'm somewhat at a loss of how to defeat an enemy when they can just copy and steal all of my minions, and I'm not playing mage so few if any burn spells.

Dungeon runs are basically Super RNG heavy because some combinations are beyond OP such as the Magi robes (+3 spell damage) and using that as a priest who has Shadow visions and the Embers or Ragnaros for multiple 11 damage blasts to their face depending on the board.  The Deathknight cards are Top priority / high in my opinion to get.  Mainly for Mage (Elemental life steal), Paladin (OTK hero power if you are lucky), Priest (Kill everything 5 attk+), Warlock (assuming you have a lot of good demons), Hunter (Combine massive minions with the 5 mana max summon scepter thing), Rouge is situational / deck based, Warrior may not be the best, Shaman would be deck based / situational as well, Druid should be great with the buffed Hero power + poisonous / taunt minions.

Real RNG shows itself when you get multiple copies of something OP.  I.E if you play them enough you will get as many as 8 copies of some rare minions or 4 copies of legendary cards such as Lich King, Dr.Boom, or your death knight card (Current record is 3 Deathknight Anduins).

So far I personally I only won 3 times in the dungeon run. Mage, Warlock, Priest.  Warlock was horde of demons + double Deathknight with 8 of the Doomguards that I kept getting summoned out by the new legendary demon weapon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mursilis said:

Has anyone gone up against the candlemaster, and did you even get vaguely close to beating him?  I'm somewhat at a loss of how to defeat an enemy when they can just copy and steal all of my minions, and I'm not playing mage so few if any burn spells.

The treasure giving your minions permanent Stealth trivialises this encounter pretty hard. Barring that, Hunter with Big Beasts, Tundra Rhino and SMorc!

1 hour ago, Keizoku said:

The treasure giving your minions permanent Stealth trivialises this encounter pretty hard. Barring that, Hunter with Big Beasts, Tundra Rhino and SMorc!

Yeah I guess that would be one way.  Unfortunately I was Cleric and that option didn't seem the best one for what I was attempting.

I'm really enjoying it so far. The 'permanent stealth' treasure has been the best one i've worked with. I was able to beat two bosses so far, both times using that.  I finally beat King Togwaggle with a Shaman deck, after he filled his board with 1/1 boom bots that couldnt attack anything, and prevented him playing any other minions.