FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

The Witchwood Card Reveal: Book of Specters

K0To4SZ.jpg

Zico39 revealed a new card today. The Book of Specters costs 2 Mana and makes you draw 3 cards.

636586130057542732.png

Image courtesy of Hearthpwn

Check out our Witchwood hub for more details about Hearthstone's latest expansion!

Well, if my "math" is correct, then in a deck with not more than 33% spells this could be better than Arcane Intellect...if you accept the risk of drawing only one or no cards. If such a creature-heavy mage deck is playable seems questionable.

At first I thought about a Spiteful Summoner-Deck (which commonly plays only a few expensive spells) but then you would run the risk of revealing a 2-cost-spell.

Elemental-Mage? Yep, sounds good enough to me.

Edited by Taan

13 minutes ago, Taan said:

Elemental-Mage? Yep, sounds good enough to me.

I don't know. I play a lot of Elemental Mage and the larger board clear spells like Flamestrike are valuable. They aren't the win condition of the deck but I'd hate to play this turn 2, lose one or two copies, and then draw 1 or 2 minions that I likely wont be able to play turn 3. It's good to try and find a tar creeper, but I don't think I want to risk my flame geyser's or my fire balls for it. 

The problem with this spell is that control decks with jaina often go to fatigue so they use draw to dig for answers and aggro decks want draw for reach, which this does not give.  I could see this in elemental mage but that deck is questionable at best in terms of viability, and this won't really change that.  Cool card though.

Edited by VaraTreledees

1 hour ago, MZLICH said:

Why I feel we got so much epics this patch?and why I feel epics are looking useless this patch:/ I really don't get minion mage..

I feel like there are a lot more situational/niche epics and legendaries in WW. And that's a good thing really. The more niche they are, the less mandatory they become.

• Thanks 1

For a class with an amazing card like arcane intellect, I don't see this getting tons of play unless some weird low cost minion archetype emerges for mage.

12 hours ago, Liistrad said:

I feel like there are a lot more situational/niche epics and legendaries in WW. And that's a good thing really. The more niche they are, the less mandatory they become.

So some cards shouldn't be epic or legendries. .

37 minutes ago, MZLICH said:
3 hours ago, Liistrad said:

So some cards shouldn't be epic or legendries. .

Ehm, no. Hes quite right. Less mendatory legendaries and epics mean less dust/gold you have to spend.

Also legendaries and epics were ALWAYS situational. When Arena was still based on rareity, I always hated the epic cards i got, because of that.

Always it not true. There are a lot of epics/legend which are good on it's own or in any situation or at least in enough situations that denies them the title "niche".

I think this card will see play in elemental mage. Deck has around 25 minions, and drawing a spell is already a low possibility. I think one copy will be played.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

I think this card will see play in elemental mage. Deck has around 25 minions, and drawing a spell is already a low possibility. I think one copy will be played.

I think you could even play more:

draw 3 - absurdly powerfull

draw 2 - still extremly strong for just 2 mana

draw 1 - not a complete loss, at least you get your card back

So, if you ask me, the powerlevel of this thing is more then high enough to see play in all sorts of mage-decks. Mage is definitly capable of playing midrangy decks with a smaller amount of spells.

I think people are underestimating this card. 2 Mana to draw (on everage) 2 cards is way more powerful then doing the same for 3 Mana. Also the "discarding"-term doesn't mean that you "lose" something, you just don't draw those spell, like you would if they were on the bottom of your deck (and most games will not hit fatigue. Especially when you play a midrange deck).

I am still thinking. When you look at this deck for example Elemental Mage Deck it runs 17 minions which is already a lot for mage. But having 13 spells in the deck is still nearly half of the deck, def. more than 1/3. Ok you could remove spells and put in more minions, but if you do so you might have to cut Mana Wyrm, which is still the stronges 1 drop in the game, imo. Then you might also cut Sorcerer's Apprentice. So then which spells would you cut? Aiming to draw 2 minions with it on average is not good enough imo (at least 2,5 would be good). Even if you do so here's my problem. The elementals are not strong on their own (mostly due to being ok with a good battlecry) and they are not cheap. It's not like an aggro deck that draws many cards and play them all if they want.

Additionally to tell yourself that you just did not draw a card that was discarded is simply wrong. To have one (or more) cards removed from your deck means you will never get them, while a not yet drawn Fireball is still in your deck and you can plan for plays when you draw it. Furthermore, discarding a spell like Lesser Ruby Spellstone or Primordial Glyph might hurt you more than you gain from two minions drawn.

Maybe you are right and I am wrong. People though cutting 2 cost cards for Keleseth would not work, but it did. Totally minion based decks running Spiteful Summoner along with just a few high cost spells has proven to to be viable in some classes. But I still don't see it working well.

Oh and lore wise, c'mon a mage running no spells? you could just play hunter :D

/edit: it might work with this, but it's not an elemental and I doubt this will survive to use it in more than one turn.

Spoiler

636586708959120353.png

Source: https://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/89424-archmage-arugal

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I am still thinking. When you look at this deck for example Elemental Mage Deck it runs 17 minions which is already a lot for mage. But having 13 spells in the deck is still nearly half of the deck, def. more than 1/3. Ok you could remove spells and put in more minions, but if you do so you might have to cut Mana Wyrm, which is still the stronges 1 drop in the game, imo. Then you might also cut Sorcerer's Apprentice. So then which spells would you cut? Aiming to draw 2 minions with it on average is not good enough imo (at least 2,5 would be good). Even if you do so here's my problem. The elementals are not strong on their own (mostly due to being ok with a good battlecry) and they are not cheap. It's not like an aggro deck that draws many cards and play them all if they want.

Additionally to tell yourself that you just did not draw a card that was discarded is simply wrong. To have one (or more) cards removed from your deck means you will never get them, while a not yet drawn Fireball is still in your deck and you can plan for plays when you draw it. Furthermore, discarding a spell like Lesser Ruby Spellstone or Primordial Glyph might hurt you more than you gain from two minions drawn.

Maybe you are right and I am wrong. People though cutting 2 cost cards for Keleseth would not work, but it did. Totally minion based decks running Spiteful Summoner along with just a few high cost spells has proven to to be viable in some classes. But I still don't see it working well.

Oh and lore wise, c'mon a mage running no spells? you could just play hunter :D

/edit: it might work with this, but it's not an elemental and I doubt this will survive to use it in more than one turn.

Hide contents

636586708959120353.png

Source: https://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/89424-archmage-arugal

I don't think playing both together will be very hard, thinking they are both 2 mana. So, this doesn't have to survive a turn. At some point in the game, if you are low on cards, you can just play both, fill your hand and let this die. 

Now that a few more mage cards have been revealed I have to admit that I was too quick to judge this card. I might be wrong about others as well ;)