High Priest Thekal Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
High Priest Thekal is the penultimate Priest that you will kill before Hakkar, and can be found in his temple to north-east inside Zul'Gurub. He is the Tiger Aspect, using his tigers and his own tiger abilities to fight.
High Priest Thekal Summary by Role
- You will want 3 tanks.
- Have one tank hold each enemy, with anyone holding the tigers on pull (they will die very quickly).
- There are a few threat drops during the fight from Zath and Thekal, so be ready to help the other tanks if needed.
- Look to dispel Silence.
- The boss enrages at 20%, so watch the tanks closely.
- Kill the tigers on pull.
- All three trolls need to die at roughly the same time, so split the raid's damage on them.
- Have at least a few melee assigned to Lor'Khan for interrupts.
General Tips for High Priest Thekal
- The raid can position near a wall during Phase 2 for the knockback that Thekal does.
- Make sure you are killing all three trolls at the same time in Phase 1.
- Whoever is tanking Zath will sometimes get controlled and lose threat, so other tanks need to be ready to pick Zath up.
Strategy for High Priest Thekal
Start the fight by assigning one tank each to Lor'Khan, Zath, and High Priest Thekal. They should pull their respective targets with the main tank also pulling the tigers to be killed quickly. Once the tigers are dead, start killing all three trolls. They all need to die at the same time or they will resurrect. Generally, the easiest way to do this is to get each boss to 10% health before bringing them together to AoE them down at once.
During Phase 1, healers need to watch to dispel Silence when Thekal uses it on raid members. At least a couple of melee need to be assigned to interrupt Great Heal whenever Lor'Khan casts it. You should assign at least one DPS Warrior to attack Zath to taunt him whenever his tank gets incapacitated with Blind or Gouge, as this will cause him to drop threat. You can just kite him during this time, but it is worth noting that all the bosses here can be Disarmed, so this is a good option as well.
Phase 2 begins when all three of them die. Once they all die, High Priest Thekal will resurrect as a tiger, and the remainder of the fight turns into a simple burn. The only ability to watch out for is the Force Punch, which will knock the whole raid backwards and drop Thekal's threat on his current target. You can position against a wall to mitigate this, and your tanks should be ready to taunt. It is also worth noting he enrages at 20% health, so it could get dangerous at the end.
- Great Heal from Lor'Khan needs to be interrupted.
- Silence needs to be dispelled from raiders.
- Force Punch will knock you back and drop the boss's threat in Phase 2.
Loot from High Priest Thekal
|Seal of Jin||Ring|
|Zulian Slicer||1-Hand Sword|
|Thekal's Grasp||Fist Weapon|
Shared High Priest Loot
The High Priests and Priestesses of Zul'Gurub have a shared set of items in their loot table that can be dropped in addition to their specific loot tables.
|Belt of Untapped Power||Waist|
|Cloak of the Hakkari Worshipers||Back|
|Gloves of the Tormented||Hands|
|Might of the Tribe||Back|
|Zulian Scepter of Rites||1-Hand Mace|
|Band of Servitude||Ring|
|Seal of the Gurubashi Berserker||Ring|
- 13 Apr. 2020: Guide added.
- Classic "Not a Bug List" Updated for December 4th
- Classic Not a Bug List Big Update for Phase 6
- Naxxramas Classic Cleared in 1.5 Hours by Progress
- Naxxramas and the Scourge Invasion Are Live in WoW Classic!
- Blizzard on the Unpredictability of Boss Spell Casts in WoW Classic
- WoW Classic Phase 6, Patch 1.13.6 Notes
- Naxxramas and Changes to the Scourge Event in WoW Classic
- Naxxramas Movie Teaser by IKedit