Zadina

Twilight Acolyte & Woecleaver Reveals: Kobolds & Catacombs

Sign in to follow this  

12 posts in this topic

34454-lynessa-sunsorrow-reveal-kobolds-c

This was a pleasant surprise since we've had two card reveals, instead of one, right before the final live stream.

Twilight Acolyte was supposed to be revealed by ahq eSports Club.  However, before the Taiwanese guys released their YouTube video, the Hearthstone Latin America Facebook page jumped the gun and leaked the card first.

KAC_089.png

The reverse Vol'jin, with a condition, is here! Priest finally gets an answer to 4-attack minions and yet another way to deal with big or early threats. There are multiple ways to subsequently kill or steal the affected minion: Cabal Shadow Priest, Shadow Word: Pain, Shadow Word: Horror, Potion of Madness, Shadow Madness, Book Wyrm...

The only drawback I see is that in early game these have to be 2-turn combos and Priest already has enough removal as it is. You will also need to think about how many non-Dragon cards you want to put in a Dragon deck. Overall, though, Twilight Acolyte looks like a very strong minion.

To compensate for the accidental leak, the Taiwanese community was given another card to reveal which was presented by anjohn. And it's no mere card: it's the Legendary Warrior weapon!

KAC_090.png

I am getting tired of repeating myself in this expansion about how overcosted most of its cards are. They are obviously expecting Recruit to be powerful and I'd have to agree: we all saw how powerful Barnes is and how various Hearthstone devs called that card a "headache" in interviews (which makes me question why they made Recruit a keyword in the first place, but that's a story for another article perhaps).

Apart from the high mana-cost and the underwhelming stats, Woecleaver can be good. It works better than Skull of the Man'ari, the Warlock Legendary weapon, but also more randomly. The K&C cards seem to be pushing towards a Big Warrior archetype and Woecleaver would fit perfectly into it. However, even in a Big Warrior deck, you need to protect yourself in the early turns with Armor cards and small value minions. What if Woecleaver pulls one of them?

The final ~40 cards will be revealed later today during the live stream with Ben Brode and Day[9]. We'll be sure to include every revealed card in our Kobolds & Catacombs hub, so you can all be ready for the release of the expansion.

Card images belong to Hearthhead.

Twilight Acolyte looks very strong. Mana cost, stats and and effect that matches its rarity. My only issue with it is that dragon priest is a priest type that has less problems do deal with 4 attack minions. I mean dragon priest will profit much less from this minion than other priest decks would. Or am I missing something?

Woecleaver ... I mentioned before that I don't like the recruit mechanic. Either you fail to get what you want/need or you get it and you might snowball very hard. Anyway this weapon looks like it will not be useful in certain stages of a match or just be a "Win more" card.

I may be wrong with my opinion that recruit will be either a fail or too overpowered. The first case would mean we have a lot of useless cards, the 2nd case that the game health will suffer. A lot of bad, or at least questionable, card designs in this expansion.

Edited by Caldyrvan

Vol'jin > minion.
Twilight acolyte > minions

It's not like it takes more than a minute to check how it was written before. But I guess a minute is far too much... no time left when you spend all your work hours brainstorming how to make the expansion just a little more shittier. "C'mon people, this isn't as terrible as TGT yet, we need to focus."

@Caldyrvan

I think they are also trying to push for Dragon Highlander Priest. Do you think Twilight Acolyte would be better in that deck?

@Kuster

That's not an official version of the card. The card was revealed in a Taiwanese site and its only current official version is the Taiwanese one. This card was remade by Hearthhead and I guess they made a small mistake :) I usually take images from Hearthpwn, but they still haven't done Woecleaver so I just took both images from Hearthhead. Both these sites are doing an amazing job recreating the cards in English, they must have really fast and efficient people editing these images!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zadina said:

@Caldyrvan

I think they are also trying to push for Dragon Highlander Priest. Do you think Twilight Acolyte would be better in that deck?

Wait, you want to say Highlander Priest needs more stuff to finally become a viable top tier deck?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Warrior can live the first turn without minions. They have control tools, armor cards, board clear (brawl,  sleep with fishes), everything they need. I think that Big Warrior will be the new Control Warrior. Recruit mechanic is good if your only target are big stats/good deathrattle ones (or Barnes), they can even shuffle back the big minions they draw with dead man's hand. If Big Warrior will be able to accumulate armor like old control one, they also counter highlander priest and raza/DK/velen combo.

The real question is: will the meta be good for this kind of decks, or will it be tempo rogue/aggro druid everywhere? May a control warrior be a good counter to tempo rogue, for example?

Chances are, a lot of decks are going to be playing oozes, so spending 8 mana on a weapon that might be destroyed is not amazing, especially since recruit can affect your smallest of minions.

26 minutes ago, SMOrcMan said:

Chances are, a lot of decks are going to be playing oozes, so spending 8 mana on a weapon that might be destroyed is not amazing, especially since recruit can affect your smallest of minions.

If you play a "Big" deck, you don't play small minion, except Barnes. And I don't think that oozes will be the tech card of all, because not every legendary weapon will be played at high tier, IMHO. I don't see a meta defining weapon in this expansion. But Warrior is full of weapon, so if they ooze this card, they won't ooze your axes (3/2, 5/2, 7/1; in wild, 4/2 too), so it's good.

• Like 1

Giving humility like effect to priest... I am not happy.  Why can't this be at least neutral? You already take away one of paladin's signature ability.

Priest is losing his class  identity real quick. If you don't think that "can do anything" is an identity

It's a reverse Vol'jin with Dragon requirements seems to keep priest identity as class of the dragons and remake of one of the old cards.

The card will be surely used to bring anything with 4 atk to 2 then remove it.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:56 AM, Caldyrvan said:

Wait, you want to say Highlander Priest needs more stuff to finally become a viable top tier deck?

Dragon highlander priest would be less cycle heavy and more control oriented, not really what we are used too.  

The priest card looks good, but I am not sure if it will fit into any deck, highlander control priest, sure, but almost all of the highlander priests are cycle heavy.  I think this is going to be one of those good cards that might never see play simply because it doesn't really fit anywhere.  Who knows, maybe after the set rotates it will find its way into a more standard control priest list.

The warrior weapon. . . is underwhelming to say the least.  This was not what control warrior needed, not what they needed at all.  Too rng dependent and just too weak the turn it is played.  There are some really interesting things you can do with this involving 2 deadmans hands (that is to say, draw your entire deck, get your hand down to a single minion some spells you want and 2 dead mans hand and use it to pull that minion out of your deck 3 times) but ultimately it will be worse then the fatigue version so it really isn't worth considering beyond a, "Huh that is an interesting and fun thing you can do".  This also might work in a spell heavy warrior deck that only runs big boys and things like mithril spell stone and the new AoE board wipe, but ultimately, it has no real way of cheating these things out super early, is susceptible to weak draws, and doesn't have a 2 mana win axe to stabilize the early game.  

Edited by VaraTreledees

On second thought, let's run with the warrior weapon.  Here are some things to consider, using dead man's hand and explore ungoro to construct a deck with only minions you want to recruit. That way you can still have your normal stuff, then you play explore, dead man's and then the only creatures in your deck are the ones in your hand.  Use dead man's hand and the weapon to pull exactly malygos, therefore you have 8 or 10 Mana open on your maly turn (I don't even think warriors have spells that do face damage but it is something to look out for).  Perhaps the one with the most promise is manipulating your deck to have just Grom, then Alex + axe your opponent a question, then inner rage Grom for an otk.  To be clear, I don't think any of these will be good, but hey, just some food for thought.

Edit: Warriors have mortal strike, that is upwards of 25 damage in standard with maly, seems funny.

Edited by VaraTreledees
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1