High Priest Venoxis Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
High Priest Venoxis is the second Priest that you will kill before Hakkar, and can be found in his temple in the bottom-center inside Zul'Gurub. He is the Snake Aspect, using his snakes and his own snake transformation abilities to fight.
High Priest Venoxis Summary by Role
- You will want at least 2 tanks.
- Positioning is key. Have one tank pull the boss away from the snake adds to start, since she can heal them.
- Once Phase 2 begins, slowly kite the boss in a circle around the room. Do not stand in the poison clouds.
- Make sure at least one healer is in range of the boss tank.
- Watch for melee who are standing too close to the boss, since they can get cast on for all of or almost all of their health.
- Ranged DPS should focus Venoxis from the start of the fight to get him to 50% as quickly as possible.
- Melee DPS need to stay far away from Venoxis during Phase 1. Use this time to burn down the snake adds that the off-tank should be holding away from the boss.
- Once Phase 2 begins, everyone can safely burn the boss, just avoid the poison clouds.
General Tips for High Priest Venoxis
- Getting the boss positioned correctly is the most important part of the fight. Have your main tank pull the boss to one side of the room, while your melee and off-tank take the snake adds to the other side of the room.
- Have Ranged DPS always on the boss, but do not let melee go near the boss until after she turns into a sneak and Phase 2 begins.
- Be careful to slowly pull the boss in a circle around the room in Phase 2. Do not stand in the poison cloud that the boss leaves behind.
Strategy for High Priest Venoxis
Start the fight by pulling Venoxis to one side of the room, while the off-tank pulls the snake adds to the other side. Have the Ranged DPS focus Venoxis while the melee kill the adds. The melee absolutely cannot go near him until Phase 2 begins, so have them kill the adds to start. If you are worried about killing and keeping threat on all of the adds at once, you can use Polymorph and Hibernate on the ones that you are not killing, while you kill them one at a time.
Once the boss reaches Phase 2 at 50% health, she will transform into a snake, and will start dealing more damage. Tanks and healers should be careful at this point to not let the tanks die. This is when you should use DPS cooldowns, if you have them, since this will be the more important DPS phase. Burn him from 50% to 0 as quickly as possible to end the fight. The DPS need to be careful to not stand in the poison clouds that the boss leaves behind, which she will occasionally cast. Just move him in a circle around the room, moving whenever she is casting a new poison cloud.
- Holy Wrath is the chain lighting ability that the boss will cast in Phase 1. No one besides the tank can be within range, otherwise they will most likely die, potentially wiping the raid.
Loot from High Priest Venoxis
|Zulian Stone Axe||2-Hand Axe|
|Zulian Tigerhide Cloak||Back|
|Fang of Venoxis||Dagger|
|Runed Bloodstained Hauberk||Chest|
Shared High Priest Loot
The High Priests and Priestesses of Zul'Gurub have a shared set of items in their loot table that can be dropped in addition to their specific loot tables.
|Belt of Untapped Power||Waist|
|Cloak of the Hakkari Worshipers||Back|
|Gloves of the Tormented||Hands|
|Might of the Tribe||Back|
|Zulian Scepter of Rites||1-Hand Mace|
|Band of Servitude||Ring|
|Seal of the Gurubashi Berserker||Ring|
- 13 Apr. 2020: Guide added.
- Season of Mastery to Wrath Classic and Classic Era Transfers
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 14th
- New Tabard for Current Season Available in Wrath Classic
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 11th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 10th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 7th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: October 6th
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Phase 1 Raid and Gearing Guides