Temple of Ahn'Qiraj (AQ40) Raid Guides
The Temple of Ahn'Qiraj is located in Silithus, and houses C'Thun, the first Old God players can face directly in World of Warcraft and one of the hardest original bosses, deemed to be mathematically impossible at a point.
While we expect him to be much easier this time, due to being released on WoW Classic in his post-nerf state (which stops tentacles from spawning while he is weakened, among other changes) and in a world of vastly better players and community knowledge, expect him and this raid to be a huge step up in difficulty from Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, and prepare accordingly by reading our detailed guide below!
The Temple of Ahn'Qiraj is the third major raid in World of Warcraft Classic. Found beyond the Scarab Wall in Silithus, in the southwest corner of Kalimdor, this ancient Temple houses C'Thun, the first Old God players can face in World of Warcraft.
Getting into the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj
In order to open the Wall, and allow access into both the 40 man and 20 man raids, your server will need to complete both the War Effort and Scepter of the Shifting Sands questline. You can find our guides for these below:
Temple of Ahn'Qiraj Attunement
Luckily, there is no attunement for this raid! As long as your server has gotten rid of the Scarab Wall by completing the two questlines described above, you are free to enter. Do keep in mind this is a much harder raid than Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, so come geared and prepared!
Season of Mastery Changes for the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj
In the Season of Mastery version of the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj raid the major change is the addition of four optional affixes. Each of these affixes adds a challenge to each encounter in exchange for additional loot dropping; the higher the level of difficulty the more additional loot will be dropped. These affixes are gated based on your reputation with the Brood of Nozdormu reputation, and each level of standing you raise with the Brood unlocks an additional affix to activate.
- Friendly reputation unlocks the Glyph of Madness affix which will Summon Claw Tentacles throughout boss encounters. These just need to be DPS'd down and are not particularly dangerous unless they are ignored and allowed to spawn freely.
- Honored reputation unlocks the Glyph of Darkness affix which will Summon Eye Tentacles throughout boss encounters. These are more dangerous than the Claws spawned by the previous tier of affix and should be a focus of all ranged DPS as soon as they spawn; melee should also switch to them if they are in range to hit them.
- Revered reputation unlocks the Glyph of Chaos affix which will Summon Giant Claw Tentacles throughout boss encounters. These are extremely dangerous and will need to be picked up by a tank and focused down by all DPS as soon as possible or they will quickly begin to kill members of the raid.
- Exalted reputation unlocks the Glyph of the Void affix which will Summon Eye of C'thun throughout boss encounters. This is by far the most dangerous of the affixes as the Eye spawned will cast the same Eye Beam ability from the C'Thun boss encounter. The moment you see the eye spawn your entire raid will need to spread as the beam chaining to any additional targets will almost certainly result in a death.
Recommended Classes for the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj
The Temple of Ahn'Qiraj is a 40-man raid, which means you can have up to 40 people in your raid group while inside. Because of the increased difficulty, having a setup with geared players of the right classes will make things a lot easier.
Warriors and Rogues continue to be the overall strongest DPS in WoW Classic, but Mages can finally specialize into the Fire tree and start getting some really strong caster gear, which will make them very competitive until the end of WoW Classic. The The Twin Emperors encounter also favors a balanced setup of melee and ranged, in order to DPS down both Emperors equally.
Unfortunately, it is around this point that Hunters start falling off, doing significantly less damage than other damage dealing classes, and as such, only one is recommended on an optimal setup, and mostly for their unique utility. Alliance players might want to bring more for their Aspect of the Wild aura, in which case they would replace other DPS players in the setup.
- 10 Warriors (1 dedicated Tank Warrior and 2+ Warriors that can off-tank when needed)
- 6 Rogues
- 8 Mages (more if struggling with the The Twin Emperors)
- 4 Warlocks (same as above)
- 1 Hunter for Tranquilizing Shot and trash pulling or kiting. Alliance raids might want to use more for their Aspect of the Wild aura, which is covered on Horde by Shamans.
- 5 Holy Paladins / 5 Restoration Shamans
- 5 Priests (1 Shadow, the rest Healers)
- 1 Restoration Druids
For more information about the best healers, tanks, and DPS, check out the tier lists for each here.
While the above setup is what would be considered an optimal group in a perfect world, it is important to emphasize that you could probably complete the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj with almost any raid composition, due to players having a much more complete vision of the game and its min-maxing meta in the current age.
At the end of the day, players are more important than specs and classes in WoW Classic, so try not to focus too much on crafting an ideal group if it will hurt the social cohesion of your group.
Temple of Ahn'Qiraj Trash Guide
In order to get to each boss you will have to face, and defeat, the trash mobs of AQ40. These have varying levels of difficulty, and the packs before C'Thun are often considered harder than most bosses, so make sure to read our detailed guide on dealing with them!
Temple of Ahn'Qiraj Boss Guides
While there are 9 bosses in total in this raid, 3 of them are optional and can be skipped to get to C'Thun faster, or if you do not need their loot. This is especially relevant for Viscidus, which requires a lot of Frost damage in the raid to kill, and might require additional preparation from most groups before a kill is possible.
- The Prophet Skeram
- Silithid Royalty (optional)
- Battleguard Sartura
- Fankriss The Unyielding
- Viscidus (optional)
- Princess Huhuran
- The Twin Emperors
- Ouro (optional)
Temple of Ahn'Qiraj Boss Loot
Check out our detailed guide on AQ40 loot (including quests and turn-in NPCs) below:
Each boss page also contains a list of the loot that the specific boss drops.
- 21 Apr. 2022: Updated for the Season of Mastery
- 29 Jun. 2020: Added loot and trash guide.
- 11 Jun. 2020: Guide added.
- Upcoming Burning Crusade Classic Realm Consolidation: August 10th
- Free Character Moves from Firemaw
- The Burning Crusade Classic Character Clone Service Retiring Soon
- World First Classic Sunwell Plateau Kill Claimed by Old School
- The Sunwell Plateau Is Now Live on Burning Crusade Classic
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 5 Guides Now Live
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 5th
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 5 Arrives May 10th
- Healing Druids (Moonglow/NG) - Crit Chance
- Jolteon 1 - Pendulum of DOOM PvP - Level 39 BiS Enhancement Shaman TBC
- Jailer is in ICC!
- Icy Veins Talent Sequence Addon
- Shaman Tank comprehensive guide - Learn how to master World of Warcraft Classic Season of Mastery as a proficient Shaman Tank
- Melee Hunter Guide - Playing World of Warcraft as a Melee Hunter
- A-Whitemane-OHANA 8/10
- Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank