Viscidus Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
This is an unique encounter where brute force is useless. No matter how high your single target damage numbers, they will be useless against Viscidus. What is required of this fight is good preparation and good strategy, and we will cover it in detail in the guide below.
Notable loot from beating this puzzle encounter includes Sharpened Silithid Femur and Scarab Brooch, as well as extra boot, shoulder, and weapon tokens.
Viscidus Summary by Role
- A single tank on Viscidus will suffice. The rest should help the raid freeze and shatter the boss, as well as on blob killing.
- Use area of effect heals and anti-poison abilities to survive the area of effect damage before Viscidus is frozen and shattered.
- Use special gear sets with high Nature resistance and frost attacks to freeze the boss, followed by quick physical attacks to shatter him. With enough Goblin Sapper Charges and burst area of effect abilities, it is possible to take him to 1% on the first shatter, making the fight much easier, but this is not required for a kill.
Strategy for Viscidus
Viscidus can be one of the easiest, or hardest fights in AQ40, depending on your raid's preparation. You will first need to freeze him by landing a ton of frost attacks, followed by shattering him with a ton of physical attacks. There is a 15 second or so timer to beat on each individual freeze stage and when shattering him before he reverts to the previous stage, so make sure everyone contributes!
Once he is shattered, he will split into 20 blobs evenly spread around the room which quickly run to the center of the room and reform into the boss. He loses 5% health for each blob killed and dies if shattered at 1% health.
In order to make things as easy as possible, players in your raid want to wear Nature resistance gear / consumables that allow them to deal frost damage with their attacks, such as Frost damage wands, Frost proc weapons, such as Coldrage Dagger ( Iceblade Hacker and similar weapons will not work ), and Frost Oil.
Mages are the only class that can, without any special gear or buffs, freeze Viscidus by spamming Rank 1 Frostbolt, but it will be much faster if most players in the raid are contributing with their own Frost attack procs.
Anyone who cannot contribute with quick Frost attacks on the boss should stay outside its room in order to reduce raid damage. These players can run in and help shatter the boss once he is frozen and on killing the resulting blobs.
With enough burst damage from Goblin Sapper Charge and area of effect attacks, it is possible to kill all the blobs in one go. If your group cannot do this, try to split your raid around the room so that as many blobs are killed as possible. Damage to blobs does not translate to damage on the boss, only kills count.
Loot from Viscidus
|Ring of the Qiraji Fury||Ring|
|Gauntlets of Kalimdor||Gloves|
|Sharpened Silithid Femur||Main-Hand|
|Idol of Health||Relic|
|Qiraji Bindings of Command||Token|
|Qiraji Bindings of Dominance||Token|
|Imperial Qiraji Armaments||Token|
|Imperial Qiraji Regalia||Token|
- 03 Jul. 2020: Added a note on Iceblade Hacker not working, linked to Blizzard post.
- 30 Jun. 2020: Guide added.
- Burning Crusade Classic Beta Update: April 19th
- WoW Classic Patch 1.13.7 Patch Notes
- Naxxramas World Record Speed Run and 24 Second Sapphiron Kill
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- WoW Token Added to Burning Crusade Classic Beta for China Only
- New Burning Crusade Beta Build: Premade Characters, Gear Vendors Removed & Item Changes
- World's Fastest Onyxia Speed Kill in WoW Classic
- Burning Crusade Classic Beta Update: April 9th
- New onyxia kill time
- New player interested in TBC - Boost or level?
- Chaos Recruiting for TBC Classic [H] [Herod]
- No one wants retris
- Shaman Tank Guide - Shaman Tanking in WoW
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?
- TBC Transition+
- Looking for guild with EARLY RAID TIMES