Lightning/Death Sentry Assassin (Trapsin) Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
The Trapsin Assassin is a crowd controlling expert who utilises a variety of ranged abilities to keep herself safe while her traps attack enemies. Overall, the Trapsin is a competitive build with good survivability, damage, and utility. Trapsins are in fact one of the easiest characters to play in the game and are highly recommended for newer players.
Possibly one of the most underrated characters for newer players, the Trapsin Assassin truly has it all. High damage, multiple damage types, high survivability, good speed, and great crowd control. Highly recommended for anyone looking to get into Diablo 2 PvM.
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Trapsin Skill Build
The following section shows the default skill build for the Trapsin. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
Trapsin Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 150||Enough for gear, generally none||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for this build on our Skills page.
The following section shows some of the most important Items for the Trapsin. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all Trapsin items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear page of this guide.
- Weapon: Heart of the Oak (commonly known as Hoto)
- Weapon Swap: Call to Arms and Spirit Monarch Shield
- Shield: 32%+ Faster Cast Rate Spirit Monarch Shield
- Body Armor: Enigma
- Helm: Harlequin Crest
- Gloves: Trang-Oul's Clawss or Magefist ( Trang-Oul's Clawss preferred for Cold Resistance)
- Boots: Ethereal Sandstorm Treks
- Belt: Arachnid Mesh
- Ring 1: The Stone of Jordan or Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band, or Raven Frost if you want Cannot Be Frozen
- Ring 2: The Stone of Jordan or Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
- Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
- Charm 1: Assassin Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: 9x Trap Skiller Grand Charms with Life or Faster Hit Recovery to reach 86% Faster Hit Recovery
- Charm 4: 10 Small Charms with Life, Resistances, Mana, or Faster Hit Recovery depending on needs
MrLlamaSC's Trapsin Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Hit Recovery Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||9||8||7||6||5||4||3|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||7%||15%||27%||48%||86%||200%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||16||15||14||13||12||11||10||9|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||8%||16%||27%||42%||65%||102%||174%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||5||4||3||2|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||13%||32%||86%|
Attack Speed with Flail
Attack speed is used for laying Traps, not cast rate. This only includes Increased Attack Speed from gear. Burst of Speed will positively affect your Trap laying speed as well, although slightly differently than what is shown in the table, as it uses more complex calculations.
|Attack Speed with Flails|
|Frames to perform action||14||13||12||11||10||9|
|Increased Attack Speed required to reach frame||0%||6%||16%||30%||52%||89%|
You can either hire a Defensive ( Holy Freeze) or Offensive ( Might) Desert Guard Mercenary in Act 2, Nightmare difficulty, depending on whether you want to slow monsters for added safety or improve the overall damage of your Mercenary.
- Weapon: Ethereal Infinity
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Trapsin Early Leveling
The following section features a generic Fire Trap skill point progression meant to make leveling towards becoming a Lightning Trapsin smoother.
- 4 points to Fire Blast
- 1 point to Claw Mastery at level 5
- 5 points to Burst of Speed from level 6 until 10
- 1 point to Fire Blast at level 11
- All points to Wake of Fire until ready to switch to Lightning Traps (recommended around level 35)
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Assassin Fastest Leveling Build.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Blizzard on Recent Diablo 2 Server Outages
- Connection Issues Continue to Plague Diablo 2 Servers
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Patch 10.12 Notes, October 12th
- Diablo 2 Server Connection Issues: October 11th
- Diablo 4's New Game Director is Joe Shelly
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update: October 2021
- The First Uber Diablo in Diablo 2: Resurrected Killed, First Annihilus After 120+ SoJs Sold