FORUMS
Damien

Legendary Arcane Giant Grim Patron Warrior Standard

Is it me, or does this deck get utterly crushed by everything but pure aggro like face Hunter or zoo Lock?

Get parton on board, spawn 1-2 other patrons... Flamestrike/Hellfire/Wild Pyromancer+Equality/... Better luck next time! Or alternatively, you've kept your opponent board's clear but you drew so much cards you die from fatigue before he's out. Grommash Hellscream alone doesn't carry the game, and you just don't have enough minions to make the difference.

3 minutes ago, Keizoku said:

Is it me, or does this deck get utterly crushed by everything but pure aggro like face Hunter or zoo Lock?

Get parton on board, spawn 1-2 other patrons... Flamestrike/Hellfire/Wild Pyromancer+Equality/... Better luck next time! Or alternatively, you've kept your opponent board's clear but you drew so much cards you die from fatigue before he's out. Grommash Hellscream alone doesn't carry the game, and you just don't have enough minions to make the difference.

I just faced this deck a few minutes ago with my Tempo mage and it did get utterly crushed. I picked everything off as it came out and when he did finally pull off his Grim Patron I popped him with a Flamestrike and continued to pummel him. To be honest though, I have never had an issue against Patron Warrior (since the great nerf) with my Tempo Mage. 

The deck indeed has some metagame related issues, especially Paladins and Tempo Mage. They are not unbeatable but it takes a great deal of effort to engineer the situation where you win. And it comes down to the fact that they don't have it, which is not a reliable game plan.

Patron can crush decks that are weak to Wild Pyromancer turns, stuff like Druid, Warlock and Hunter. Also Shaman is sorta favored, but with them you'll never know. Sometimes they just double spell damage and Maelstrom Portal you for 3 or simply draw a Lightning Storm. I think that a classic Worgen OTK shell is better/same in those matchups while having some edges in others, which makes it a slightly better choice if you are in the market for Commanding Shout action, IMO. 

16 hours ago, Paracel said:

And it comes down to the fact that they don't have it, which is not a reliable game plan.

As opposed to drawing perfectly first to survive, then to activate your combo with OTK Worgen? Thanks, but no thanks!

Time to cut my losses and pass on warrior until I get the dust for a real deck.

• Like 1

Big fan of Patron warrior decks. But unfortunately the patron decks are not in a good spot now with lot of decks running AoE effects.

Sure there are ways to play around it, bait them out etc, but it is definitely much tougher now to engineer such situations when you see stuff like lightning storm (buffed), flamestrike, Yogg-Saron, control warrior, control paladin every other matchup. 

The main deck it preys on like Zoo, Aggro Shaman and other face decks are losing popularity. It still has some good matchups against decks like Hybrid Hunter though. 

Overall,I think an OTK version of this featuring charge and faceless seems to be doing much better. 

19 hours ago, sc47 said:

Overall,I think an OTK version of this featuring charge and faceless seems to be doing much better. 

I feel like if you wanted to play an OTK deck, you'd just play Worgen - I can't think of an advantage of using Giants tbh.

You're right about this deck struggling vs. the board clears.

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

I feel like if you wanted to play an OTK deck, you'd just play Worgen - I can't think of an advantage of using Giants tbh.

You're right about this deck struggling vs. the board clears.

There is a charge/faceless version of this deck on Tempostorm. It trades the huge OTK scenario of Worgen for the Patrons. I kinda like it as it has separate win conditions against both aggro and control.

28 minutes ago, sc47 said:

There is a charge/faceless version of this deck on Tempostorm. It trades the huge OTK scenario of Worgen for the Patrons. I kinda like it as it has separate win conditions against both aggro and control.

Will check it out, definitely interested to see this variant tbh