Stan

Knights of the Frozen Throne Card Reveal: Blood-Queen Lana'thel

11 posts in this topic

grNgHki.jpg

Blood-Queen Lanathel is a new legendary Warlock card that was just revealed via PCGamesN.

If you've missed any of the previously revealed cards, feel free to check them out here.

Warlock's Blood-Queen Lana'thel

The new Legendary Warlock card synergizes with Cruel Dinomancer and cards like DoomguardSoulfire up to Malchezaar's Imp & Silverware Golem. It doesn't even have Charge and due to ist high mana cost it cannot be deployed early.

ni96Vis.png

Picture is a courtesy of Hearthpwn

Good to know that warlock is not getting more expensive. This card is a step towards free play - why use a 1600-dust card when you can play a basic one with a higher power level?

...this seems weak?   I mean the warlock quest is hard to finish, and in order for her to work well (enough so that you use her) you need at least 3 or so discards, and to hope they can't kill her via spells before the lifesteal happens.

Moreover you have the truly ugly situation of "she needs discards to function", but she has no immunity or bonus for being in your hand while you're discarding...meaning it's -very- possible you'd discard her as you're trying to empower her when she randomly gets drawn early...

Hoping that warlock gets some targetted discard or "this card will always be chosen for discard" type of mechanic...otherwise I can't see this as anything more than a red herring.

Edited by Migol

40 minutes ago, Migol said:

...this seems weak?   I mean the warlock quest is hard to finish, and in order for her to work well (enough so that you use her) you need at least 3 or so discards, and to hope they can't kill her via spells before the lifesteal happens.

Moreover you have the truly ugly situation of "she needs discards to function", but she has no immunity or bonus for being in your hand while you're discarding...meaning it's -very- possible you'd discard her as you're trying to empower her when she randomly gets drawn early...

Hoping that warlock gets some targetted discard or "this card will always be chosen for discard" type of mechanic...otherwise I can't see this as anything more than a red herring.

Discard Zoo was always a gamble, besides if she gets discarded she can be brought back with Cruel Dinomancer and the effect is still there since it's not a battlecry. My only question is this; after she is summoned does her attack go up with each discard after? 

33 minutes ago, KingMe said:

My only question is this; after she is summoned does her attack go up with each discard after? 

I think so.

As you said: it is no Battlecry. So it should still work, when she is already in play.

I dont think that this is a bad card. She is absolutly specific for Discard-Warlock and seems not good enough to be crafted for that deck no matter what...but hey...who knows what Death-Knight-Gul'dan has up his sleeves. But still: a 3-6/6 with lifesteal on warlock that can grow bigger while already in play...why not?

5 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Good to know that warlock is not getting more expensive. This card is a step towards free play - why use a 1600-dust card when you can play a basic one with a higher power level?

Kibler made some fair points on this card - you can mulligan away from it and let it grow in your deck, it continues growing while in play and the lifesteal just lets you keep drawing without fear of dying.

11 hours ago, Blainie said:

Kibler made some fair points on this card - you can mulligan away from it and let it grow in your deck, it continues growing while in play and the lifesteal just lets you keep drawing without fear of dying.

Except, unless you are playing it in a control discard deck, this card is for all intents and purposes a worse doomguard.  It will have inferior stats, less health, most likely less attack, and it will have life steal instead of charge.  and I mean yes I know doomguard makes you discard 2 cards, but in zoo that is rarely an issue, not enough of one to try to fit a third 5 drop in your deck.  Sure health gain is nice for control variants of warlock, it is what is really holding them back right now, but discard is a poor route to chose for control unless they manage to get ALOT of discard synergy that is good with control.  Too much of your deck has too be taken up by discard cards, and discard synergy cards which are just too low value to be good in a control deck, on top of that, since you will have fewer "control" cards, or cards that define your deck as a control deck, discarding them will be far more punishing.  Maybe a mid range discardy type deck would run this, but even then I am skeptical that it would be better then doomguard. All and all a pretty poor card unless we get some crazy synergies with it.

• Like 1

This card is pointless. Discard is just weak in Hearthstone, and no amount of Clutchmother Zavas or Cruel Dinomancer or this thing will fix it. Beyond even the fact that discarding is RNG-based in Hearthstone and thus unreliable as a strategy; it works in, say, Magic: the Gathering thanks to the fact the graveyard is way more interactive. You can get the cards you need both in and back out of your graveyard easily if you build your deck around that, whereas in Hearthstone save for N'Zoth, the Corruptor bringing deathrattles back (and some fringe interactions like Onyx Bishop and Doomcaller) the graveyard means the cards are gone for the game.

13 hours ago, VaraTreledees said:

All and all a pretty poor card unless we get some crazy synergies with it.

Maybe it's too much to ask for this expansion, but perhaps we'll see a card printed that reintroduces discarded cards to the Warlock's deck. That would be enough to introduce Discard-Control, I hope!