FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Taan

The art of free to play

Hello everyone!

Here is something I wanted to do for some time now. I recognized that some people complain about the prize of Hearthstone or that you can only achieve higher ranks when you pay real money. I don't want to discuss this topic here (also I totally disagree ;) ). Instead I want to give some advice how to manage your resources (so Gold and Dust) more wisely and therefore get better decks and more fun out of them.

You may deem some of the advice pretty expected, but maybe the "strategies" I run can still inspire you to wasting less and getting more. But I will still skip the obvious: get as much gold as possible, finish the Brawl every week etc.

Also Icy Veins (the side you are currently on) has a pretty nice Guide-Section too and I will try not to repeat the hints from there.

Finally: the hints are mainly for the standard-format.

1.) Know when to stop and save up.

After purchasing something like 50+ packs you will own nearly all commons, most of the rares, some epics and a few legendaries. So you will draw mainly cards you already own from additional packs. Since drawing cards is much better than crafting them (e.g. you basically save 300 dust, when you draw an epic card you would have crafted otherwise) saving your gold up for the next expansion can be much more valuable than buying more packs for the current set. Just head into your collection from time to time and check all the cards from the set you would have bought packs from. If you realize that you mainly missing out legendaries and a few epics it could be time to stockpile your gold (since the chance of drawing a specific epic or legendary is pretty slim anyways). You should be able to have 3000 to 5000 gold at the start of the next expansion that way.

2.) Only disenchant "useless" cards when you need the dust for a specific reason.

Sometimes cards that are deemed useless or bad at the beginning of the meta can turn out to be quite powerful later on (e.g. Evolve before and after the release of Doppelgangster). There would be nothing more frustrating than having to craft a card you already disenchanted two sets ago.

So be very very careful when disenchanting cards that are still legal in standard and never disenchant them only to pile up dust. You can always disenchant a card you own but never take it back.

3.) Use placeholders and build "prototype"-decks first.

This is a difficult one. Many people want to try out new and innovative decks. This can be quite expensive and you don't know beforehand if the deck will be any good and (most importantly) fun. Thats why it can be a good idea to test out the main functionality of the deck by replacing less important cards with similar (weaker) ones and find out that way if the deck is fun to play with.

For example: you can play many aggressive decks in the past without (the old) Patches the Pirate by replacing him and the "pirate-package" with other low cost cards. It may be way weaker but the main structure of the deck often stays the same. Other examples would be Cubelock without N'Zoth, the Corruptor or Spell-Hunter without Rhok'delar.

4.) Wait for the meta to settle.

It is pretty obvious. Don't get carried away by the hype of a new set and craft everything that people call powerful. Cards can quickly fall out of relevance. Not only because they are worse than people thought, but often because the meta turns out to be unfitting for the respective deck. Taunt-Warrior is an example for this. Both Fire Plume's Heart and the Hunter-Quest were hyped, but fell out of relevance rather quickly.

5.) try to craft cards with a wider use first.

Some cards can only be played in one specific deck and it is pretty obvious from the first spoilers onward that they are. Twin Emperor Vek'lor or basically all the Quests are perfect examples. When you don't know what to play and/or you want to play a bigger variety of decks it can be a good idea to spend your dust on cards that are playable in a bigger range of decks and classes. Obviously neutral cards fit this idea more often.

Examples are: N'Zoth, the Corruptor for all sorts of Deathrattle-Decks, Kazakus for every type of Highlander-Deck, Alexstrasza or Leeroy Jenkins for combo- or OTK-decks and so on.

I play Hearthstone regular since "goblin vs gnomes" and was able to play multiple competitive decks with multiple classes without buying a single pack for real money. But I always had to be very stingy how I spend my resources and I believe that other people have to be too, to get high on the ladder while still having fun and trying out new decks.

Do you have any additional advices how to get more out of your hard earned gold?

• Like 1

It's just a few hours til the rotation you might replace N'zoth and Kazakus with other examples since they are leaving standard. New players might get confused :)

The rest sounds reasonable. Maybe just one thing, with 50 packs you might get all commons, not sure I am bad at math, but definitley not all rares not even most, at least not 2 copies of each. Ofc you don't need all, some are just useless but with 50 packs you can easily miss a lot of crucial rare of a set.

What I do here is: Looking at a set in my collection writing down the numbers of cards I'm missing sorted by rarity, then carefully browsing throw the cards I miss again and writing down the numbers of cards I really want/need looking like this:

• Common 1/7
  • Rare 3/12
  • Epic 7/20
  • Legendary: 2/19

I constantly adjust these numbers when the meta changes or I get cards from packs etc. For me this is a good overview of how much I am missing of a set, how much dust it would cost to craft them and how likely it is to get certain cards out of packs. This way I noticed long time ago I am missing really a lot of cards from Un'goro but in fact I only want a few cards there which was not worth to gamble it by getting packs of this set.

Also it's good to know how many packs you opened of a set without getting a legend. In case you had bad luck and opened like 38 packs of a set without a legend, even if you might still get a bad one, I think it is worth to buy one more and maybe a 2nd pack to get that legend. But that's just really mini max :D

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

Also it's good to know how many packs you opened of a set without getting a legend. In case you had bad luck and opened like 38 packs of a set without a legend, even if you might still get a bad one, I think it is worth to buy one more and maybe a 2nd pack to get that legend. But that's just really mini max :D

Thank you! I kind of forgot about that one. Normally at a point where I think "hmm, I got most of the stuff I want from the current set" I still open packs until I get a legendary and then start stockpiling my gold. At least when I drew my last legendary a reasonable long time ago.

Also if you enjoy playing arena, you will get some packs from the current set anyways. So stopping to buy packs a little bit earlier could be usefull.

Great post thanks!

Since Im a new player I am now torn between playing Arena and getting Witchwood cards (I like Arena for its diversity of decks but mostly can only win 2 or 3 games each time) or sticking to getting expert packs since in most decks i want to build it seems there are always a large proportion of expert cards. 

Any advice on how to balance both? Also, in order to build meta decks you craft the missing cards from older packs, like Hallucination for Rogue in Miracle Rogue for example?

Edited by BenTpe
Clarifications

On 17.4.2018 at 4:32 PM, BenTpe said:

Any advice on how to balance both?

That depends on your own preferences.

Usually I save up something like 300 Gold for arena runs at the start of a new set. I takes me (most of the time) some days to finish an arena-run because I play only a few games of hearthstone each day. Sometimes I wait for a quest thats fits the class I got in arena.

Anyways the bottomline is: if you like playing arena, then do so. But since you will always get packs from the newest set as a reward you might want to buy less packs from this set before. As I said: getting packs from sets you don't own much cards from is better than getting a lot of surplus cards from sets you already bought 50 or 60 packs.

On 17.4.2018 at 4:32 PM, BenTpe said:

Also, in order to build meta decks you craft the missing cards from older packs, like Hallucination for Rogue in Miracle Rogue for example?

You can definitly do that. Especially because the chance of getting one specific card from a pack is pretty small (even when its only a common one). But you should keep the standard-rotation in mind and evaluate, if you want to craft a card from a set that will rotate a few month later (in case of Hallucination you will still have nearly a year ;) ).

Edited by Taan

Pardon my severe newbie question, but how can you see what cards you are missing?

Would it be wise to disenchant common cards you have more than 2 of? If I have 4 fireballs, should I disenchant 2?

26 minutes ago, SPECTRELIGHT said:

Pardon my severe newbie question, but how can you see what cards you are missing?

If you open crafting, you can see that some cards are not coloured out. These cards are the ones you are missing from your collection. If you meant missing for a deck, if you copy a deck string, the missing cards will not be coloured out. 

28 minutes ago, SPECTRELIGHT said:

Would it be wise to disenchant common cards you have more than 2 of?

Absolutely. The only reason not to disenchant cards that you have more than 2 of (or in case of legendaries, 1 of), is to mass disenchant them if they are nerfed. However, since the amount of cards that do indeed receive nerf is low, and due to these cards often belonging to the basic set, it is way better to disenchant them whenever you need dust. 

30 minutes ago, SPECTRELIGHT said:

If I have 4 fireballs, should I disenchant 2?

Basic cards cannot be disenchanted as far as I know.

• Like 2

I would not suggest to craft cards too fast. Give it a second thought at least.

Especially for the more/most expensive cards of epic and legendary rarity. Crafting a common is not expensive and a rare, even if you don't like the card later, it's not hurting you too much. But spending 400 or 1600 on a card is an investment you don't want to regret :)

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 4:09 PM, Taan said:

That depends on your own preferences.

Usually I save up something like 300 Gold for arena runs at the start of a new set. I takes me (most of the time) some days to finish an arena-run because I play only a few games of hearthstone each day. Sometimes I wait for a quest thats fits the class I got in arena.

Anyways the bottomline is: if you like playing arena, then do so. But since you will always get packs from the newest set as a reward you might want to buy less packs from this set before. As I said: getting packs from sets you don't own much cards from is better than getting a lot of surplus cards from sets you already bought 50 or 60 packs.

You can definitly do that. Especially because the chance of getting one specific card from a pack is pretty small (even when its only a common one). But you should keep the standard-rotation in mind and evaluate, if you want to craft a card from a set that will rotate a few month later (in case of Hallucination you will still have nearly a year ;) ).

Thanks Taan for the insight... I actually built an excel database of all cards in the game (I’m on Mac an Innkeeper isn’t available...) and realized that I now only own 70% of the classic pack common cards, so I decided to stick to it for now. First pack I opened after this decision had a legendary (Onyxia) and second one an epic for Hunter (Bratislava wrath) so pretty happy about my decision so far haha. 

As for hallucination i might not craft it after all, I realized that I can just upgrade my already strong Paladin set up and adapt it to WW current meta or play a cheap Hunter.  Since I see less cubelocks these days it’s actually more fun to play than before :) I think I’ll simply open some Un’Goro packs at some point!

anyway thanks again for your advice, have fun playing!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rethos
      US - Horde - Illidan
      https://guildsofwow.com/twenty-first-knights
      About The Guild
      Twenty First Knights was formed in 2021 with the working gamer in mind, a grounded midcore experience where great gamers with real lives can come together and still complete competitive content without the noise and toxicity of "elite" guilds. To that end we’re more than just a gaming guild – we are truly a community made of members who enjoy playing every single aspect of the games we play, from PvE to PvP to Crafting to chattering socially with each other over Discord. We’re made up of members from all over the world, with a wide variety of ages, backgrounds, genders and play styles. Because we’re community-oriented, you’ll never feel like just another cog in the wheel. We’ve only got one common goal – to enjoy our favorite online games together. We’d love for you to join us!
      What We Are Looking For
      We are looking for folks who are interested in the community and the people they play with as much as the game. If you have a get in and get out mentality then Remnants is probably not for you. If you want to enjoy and down content with capable players who are friendly and patient, then Remnants is most likely a great fit for you. If you’re just returning and are looking for a great guild to catch up and grow with or are simply looking for a more grown up environment then look no further, we kindly offer a trial membership which gives you a chance to get to know us better before committing and vice versus.
      PvE
      We strive to help our members get the most out of PvE content and also assist them in improving and advancing. We are always willing to provide advice and guidance on builds, gearing, and mechanics. We are currently planning on restarting normal raiding and subsequently heroic raiding as our progress dictates. It is a great time to join the guild if you are just returning to the game or missed out on this content before the next patch hits.
      PvP
      We encourage fun and friendly gaming to both the fans of PvP and those curious about it. Twenty First Knights PvP primarily focuses on the social aspect of gaming, and players of all skill are welcome to join us at any time. To those interested in honing their skills, we are always willing to lend a hand with builds, classes, and how it all comes together to make a character effective.
      Crafting
      Our crafting department provides the consumables you need to participate in the events of our other departments. The guild bank offers flasks, potions, and feasts for our event times, as well as gems and enchants to keep your gear competitive.  We also hold raffles and gathering events with prizes for those who like to help us keep our guild bank stocked!
      Play Socially or Casually
      Although we have members doing end-game content, we also have many members who play when they have time, or enjoy the simpler pleasures in WoW like leveling slowly or going on random adventures. We also have a very inviting approach when it comes to difficult content: many of our members are happy to bring along a “newbie” to dungeons or new content, but there’s no pressure for you to join events you aren’t interested in!
       What We Offer
      Very active Discord for voice chat and keeping in touch while away from the computer Freedom to play your game the way you want Scheduled events on the calendar as well as “pop-up” events put together through guild chat Friendly and non-judgmental community and environment A structured leadership team, with officers for each of our departments (PvE, PvP, Crafting, and Recruitment) What We Value In Our Guild Members:
      Positive Attitude Maturity Team Player Respect  How To Join
      Visit us and apply at: https://guildsofwow.com/twenty-first-knights
      We look forward to hearing from you!
    • By Teta
      I would like a lot some guides for rbg, i dont like arenas, i hardly do arenas, and i miss guides whit focus on rbg and specially for tanking in rbg, and thats it, would help me alot to start whit New classes and strategies. Please, this website is my jesus
      I'm a noobish pvper, never passed 1600mmr, and icyveins is my pillar for guides, i find ir very easy and simple to understand, and helped me alot to start playing better whit a New class.
    • By wowguy233
      Hey everybody! So the other day, I decided to make a 5-minute guide on how to play the Warrior class in WoW. It's not super in-depth, but I just wanted some good feedback from the Warrior community on this. Lemme know what you guys think! I also hope that this is able to help somebody out there.   ?

• By RelliksPast
      Introduction
      This build is fairly interesting, and relies on two commonly overlooked aspects of the Necromancer's kit. The first being Maltorius' Petrified Spike, a legendary item that boosts your bone spear by 700%, and Bone SpearTeeth, a skill that sprays half the map in death and shoddy dentistry. The Spike itself has fairly terrible stats, but it's unique ability and enough intelligence make up for this aspect.

Gameplay and Strategy
      This is a very easy build to execute and yields extraordinarily high results. It's more of a medium range build, with plenty of variance as it only relies on a small combo. The rest of the build is mostly just to optimize the amount that you can use Bone SpearTeeth and making sure you survive well, with a fair bit of boss killers, such as Command SkeletonsFrenzy and Corpse LanceBrittle Touch. You can alter the range and play style with substitutions, and overall this is a very solid and general build for beginners and experienced players alike. 

Your main combo rotation is going to be using  SimulacrumReservoir and spamming Bone SpearTeeth. Then follow up with Corpse LanceBrittle Touch to finish off any remaining units. Corpse lance does not consume any essence to cast, and is very resource efficient while still dishing out significant damage. You may ask, why pick these runes. Well, Reservoir provides more resource, Brittle Touch helps with higher health bosses, and Teeth is actually a bit complicated. Now this may be a bug, but it certainly seems like the splinters from Bone SpearTeeth do too much damage, especially when combined with Maltorius' Petrified Spike. Because of this damage, you can easily clear massive waves and bosses alike. 
      Your other core skill is going to be Blood Rush. Every class ought to have a mobility skill in order to more efficiently clear floors and to speed up your farming. I prefer to use Molting to start a Corpse Lance chain in adventure runs, but the rune you choose is mostly up to preference. Potency is also a powerful rune, especially if you choose the close range variant of this build

Other skills include your essence regain, either Grim ScytheDual Scythes or Siphon BloodPower Shift.  I like Dual Scythes simply because its a larger area (and therefor more essence), pulls enemies in front of you, and efficiently lines up the highest damage Bone SpearTeeth. An alternative to Dual Scythes is Grim ScytheExecution or Grim ScytheCursed ScytheSiphon BloodPower Shift is an excellent choice for melting bosses when low on essence. Other options include Siphon BloodSuppress, Siphon BloodBlood Sucker, or Bone SpikesBlood Spikes. Your choice of basic attack will determine your range for this build. Keep in mind that Teeth does more damage close up (like a shotgun) but due to Maltorius' Petrified Spike you can still use it at a range to great effect. For your non-combo damage ability, you want to choose based on your range. If you choose Siphon Blood, pick Command Skeletons with either Frenzy or Kill Command. If you choose Grim Scythe, go with either Bone ArmorDislocation or Death NovaBlight. Death nova does significant AOE damage, while Bone Armor is primarily a defensive skill, especially useful to preserve your Blood Rush cooldown. I personally prefer Frenzy for ranged and Bone ArmorDislocation for a closer range build. 

Passives
      Your passives will once again depend on your variant of the build. You will want Overwhelming Essence and Blood is Power regardless, but the other two slots will vary.  Overwhelming Essence and Blood is Power are both integral skills to any ability and cooldown-based build. You want to minimize your cooldowns, and despite the intimidating requirement of Blood is Power, it triggers rather often. It counts premitigation damage, meaning damage before your armor and resistances. In any high level battle, you will proc this passive often. Overwhelming Essence is rather straightforward, as it simply increases your resource. 

For the close range variant, I would recommend Stand Alone and Draw Life. Together, these passives will make you significantly more bulky and make up for a lack of sustain within your skills. An alternative to Draw Life is taking Life from Death and DevourSatiated over Corpse LanceBrittle Touch. This will somewhat lower your damage to bosses, but provide for more spam and sustain overall. 
      For the range variant, I would Aberrant Animator and Final Service. These both combine nicely with your Command Skeletons, while Final Service helps to improve your general lack of tankiness. Aberrant Animator gives your skeletons double your Thorns damage, while Final Service is your cheat death mechanic. 
      Skill list
      A- Grim ScytheDual Scythes/Siphon BloodPower Shift
      B- Bone SpearTeeth
      X-  Command SkeletonsFrenzy/ Command SkeletonsKill Command/Bone ArmorDislocation/Death NovaBlight
      Y-  Corpse LanceBrittle Touch
      ZL-SimulacrumReservoir
      ZR-Blood RushMolting/Blood RushPotency

Passives
      Overwhelming Essence Blood is Power Stand Alone / Aberrant Animator Draw Life / Life from Death / Final Service  
      Now, into the parts that honestly don't matter nearly as much. Most of the build is in your hands, now this is just the nitpicky optimizations that I will honestly spend far too much/little time on. For the next sections I will be discussing gear, gems, Kanai's Cube, and paragon points. 
      For Gear I recommend going for a Legacy of Dreams build. This is rather standard, gives you an insane damage boost, and overall is versatile and workable. Make sure that you haveMaltorius' Petrified Spike. Another recommendation is your helm. Leoric's Crown is ideal for general battling, but Broken Crown is my preference for base gem farming, for hopefully obvious reasons. Honestly, just use common sense. LoD builds are incredibly player dependent, and you can build them just about however you want. Just prioritize whatever will feed into the general gameplan of spamming SimulacrumReservoir and Bone SpearTeeth. 
      For Kanai's Cube, you want to slot in Reilena's Shadowhook as your weapon, Krysbin's Sentence for jewlery, and the worse of either Reaper's Wraps or Nemesis Bracers. Shadowhook scales your damage based on your maximum essence, and with Overwhelming Essence and SimulacrumReservoir you're pretty well maxed out on your essence. 
      For Paragon Points you want to basically use common sense. This build is an ability spam build with limited sustain. Play to that. For example, you want to invest heavily into Essence, Cost Reduction, and Cooldown reduction. As far as defense, I recommend investing in armor so that Blood is Power is easier to proc. 
      For  Gems you should put Bane of the Trapped, Enforcer, and Legacy of Dreams in your ring slots. Zei's Stone of Vengeance is a solid alternative. For your Helm, slot in  Flawless Royal Topaz to provide resource cost reduction or Flawless Royal Diamond for CDR. Personally, since this is a teeth build you should go Topaz. For your weapon, you should go Flawless Royal Topaz if going the ranged build, and Flawless Royal Emerald for the close range build. And for your other slots, you should go (you guessed it) Flawless Royal Topaz. In my honest opinion, Topaz is the best base gem for necromancer. It provides Intelligence, thorns, and resource reduction. Sure, the thorns are only especially ridiculous with Aberrant Animator but once again, topaz is a godsend for Necromancer. 

Changelog: 10/2/19 Fixed some grammar errors, clarified poor usage, and added more details to the build    

• By snartky
      1. Clemency
      4. High Inquisitor
      7. Zealous Spirit
      10. either one depending on comp
      13. Harsh Discipline
      16. Radiance
      20. if you went with sc at 10, the 20 sc choice is a must-pick. if you went with Divine Reckoning, Purge the Wicked or the 20 ult buff are the two options depending on need. if you need single target burst, go purge. if you want more aoe burst healing, then judgement will hit harder and heal harder. 
      This build revolves around abusing clemency/inquisition's short cooldown to quickly grant zeal to everyone and convert the lost mana back to you with either usage of the spell. 
      The idea behind the build is to build up to three desperation stacks before a fight by spamming your q on each teammate to stack zeal. the last cast if everyone is around will be using clemency to zeal the last hero and reset your stacks which also refunds 225 mana. you can stack zeal on all 5 of your teammates in <2 seconds with no drawbacks. you're essentially playing whitemane the same way you would malfurion. but your zeal works as your "regrowth" so to speak. 
      You take radiance at 16 so you can burst heal your team on command. you should have zeal on AT LEAST the 3 people most likely to take damage. before doing your dps combo (if you took Divine Reckoning) of R-E-W or E-R-W, stack zeal on your teammates, burst heal on the third stack application, then do the combo.
      if DR hits just one hero, the combo gives ~6-700 hps which increases (obviously) as more enemies are in your hurtbox. maiev is an unbelievably pairing for this combo as her ult helps keep the enemy within your reckoning for as long as possible.
      youre able to spam three more q's and your clemency/inquisition should be back up within a second or two. you basically rinse and repeat this without losing any mana whatsoever. shes able to keep up that burst spam combo indefinitely if you manage your stacks correctly. while also refreshing zeal on the person with the lowest timer. divine reckoning provides an absolutely insane amount of burst healing while also softening up anyone sitting in its effect.