The Sunken Temple of Qarn Dungeon Guide
Welcome to our guide to The Sunken Temple of Qarn, Final Fantasy XIV's level 35 dungeon. This guide aims to prepare players so they will know what to expect, with simple mechanic instructions and notes on how to progress through the dungeon.
Under the unforgiving Thanalan sun lie and ruins of an ancient temple half-devoured by the shifting sands of timeless desert. Through used by ancient Belah'dians as a place to worship the sun goddess, Azeyma, the massive underground structure appears to be far older than his Sixth Astral Era civilization. That, however, did not deter Belah'dian sultans from each adding their own chambers to the original construct to a bid to achieve immortality through creation. In the subsequent years since the fall of Belah'dia, many an adventurer has sought to explore the temple's mysteries and perhaps return with the treasure of a lost era... Only to fall victim to one of the complex traps set to prevent that very thing from happening.
- Minimum level required: 35
- Party size: 4
- Prerequisite quest: "Braving New Depths"
- Entrance: Southern Thanalan (x25, y12)
The optional puzzle mechanic to keep an eye out for are the relics you can interact with through the dungeon. Interacting with one will pick it up and allow you to use it to open a bonus door, as well as use it for a scale puzzle at the end of the dungeon. I don't recommend spending time on opening the bonus doors, as they only contain elemental shards. I will cover the solution to both the bonus doors and the scale puzzle further into the guide.
Through the entrance and when you first walk down into the lower sanctum you will encounter The Helm of Might. Only pick up this relic if you plan on opening all the bonus doors later on in the dungeon.
Further along you will encounter a Qarn FacerM. This specific enemy will begin to escape once it HP reaches a threshold. If you kill the monster before it escapes you will be rewarded with a bonus treasure coffer. There will be a Gem of Affluence on the path further ahead. Same as the helm, this can be skipped unless you plan on opening the bonus doors.
In the boss arena, there are three square tiles on the floor. Make note of these for a future mechanic. The boss casts:
- Triclip: Moderate damage dealt to the tank.
- Frightful Roar: A casted point blank AoE. Move away to dodge.
- Mow: A casted conal AoE. Move out to dodge.
Dung Wespes will spawn into the arena. Focus these down. If they are left alive for too long, they will cast Final Sting, dealing massive damage to their target. After a while, the boss will cast Mortal Ray, giving the Doom debuff to all players. When this debuff expires, the player will instantly die. At the same time as the Mortal Ray cast, one of the three tiles will glow orange. Step on this to cleanse your debuff.
Through the hallway and into the next room you will encounter an Avoirdupois. To defeat this monster, you must move the monster onto the glowing panel. When the panel is off, you are good to defeat it. Usually, defeating this monster will open locked doors. There will be a few more of this monster going forward so keep this mechanic in mind.
Optional: In this area is where you obtain the items needed to complete the scale puzzle at the end of the dungeon. Defeat the Avoirdupois same as before on the two glowing panels in this arena. This will open two rooms containing the Flame of Magic and the Fruit of Knowledge. Defeat the enemies and collect these.
The boss has a targetable Golem Soulstone. While this is alive, the amount of damage the boss receives is reduced to a negligible amount. Destroy the soulstone first to stun the boss and be able to inflict damage to it.
While the soulstone is active, the boss casts:
- Boulder Clap: A casted conal AoE on the tank. Move out to dodge.
- True Grit: A larger casted conal AoE on a random player. Move out to dodge.
- Frightful Roar: A casted thick line AoE on a random player. Move away to dodge.
- Stone Skull: A moderate hit on a random player knocking them away from the boss.
Optional: In the next area where you defeat an Avoirdupois, there are four doors along the path that require a relic to open. In front of each door is a Stone Pedestal with a picture of what to place inside it. If you had collected all the relics, the relics placed are:
- Vault of Steel: The Helm of Might
- Vault of Wealth: The Gem of Affluence
- Vault of Aether: The Flames of Magic
- Vault of Secrets: The Fruit of Knowledge
In the area just before the end is The Scales of Judgement with a left and right pan. Place the Flames of Magic in the left pans, and the Fruit of Knowledge in the right pan. Afterwards, interact with the scales to open both the room to the final encounter, as well as a bonus room with three treasure coffers inside. If you did not collect any relics on the road here, you can just interact with the scales to spawn mobs and then open the boss door.
Throughout the encounter, this boss will spawn Mythril Verges. The basic Verge will cast Verge Line, a targeted line AoE on a random player. A other type has a glowing box around the Verge. This Verge cannot be damaged by a player unless they are inside the glowing box. Upon entering, the player is trapped and cannot leave until the Verge is defeated. This verge casts Verge Pulse, an unavoidable roomwide AoE. On spawn, DPS should focus these down to prevent future damage.
Aside from this mechanic, the boss will cast:
- Darkness: A casted conal AoE on the tank. Move out to dodge.
- Creeping Darkness: An unavoidable roomwide AoE.
- Paralyze: Interruptable. Will give a player a Paralyze debuff, which occasionally halts movement and any actions for a brief period of time. This can be cleansed with .
This is a table of all unique dungeon drops.
|, , , ,
|, , , , ,
|, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
|Treasure Coffer 1-4
|, , , , ,
|Treasure Coffer 5
|, , , , , , , , , , , ,
|Treasure Coffer 6
|, , ,
|Treasure Coffer 7
|, , , ,
- 10 Jul. 2023: Guide added.
- Join the FFXIV Open Beta Test on Xbox Series X and S
- FFXIV x FFXVI Crossover Event: A Path Infernal - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- The Moogle Treasure Trove Returns to FFXIV with New Rewards and Challenges! - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - The Maidens Rhapsody: A Tribute to Final Fantasy XI
- FFXIV - Patch 6.55: What to Expect From Endwalkers Last Patch - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - New Hydaelyn and Zodiark Figure
- FFXIV - Pre-Order the New Endwalker Art Collection and Get a Zodiark Idol Minion
- FFXIV Dawntrail: Zones and Battle Content - Sponsored by Butterfinger