Damien

Discard Zoo Warlock Standard

43 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Discard Zoo Standard deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally really like where this deck has been evolving from. I've been playing and tinkering with this deck for about a week now, and I came to a very similar list. I do not own the BRM expansion, so I'm missing out on Imp Gang Boss, but the deck pilots very well.

Zoo 9-12-16.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donutkins said:

I'm missing out on Imp Gang Boss

Warlock players across the world have all just nearly passed out from shock when reading this. For real though, nice list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't exactly need IGB in a Discard shell. It's a good card, mind you, but a lot of synergies that make him function brilliantly in a "classic" Zoo deck are taken down in consistency, and Silverware Golem already makes a good 3-drop. I agree that you can get away without him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Donutkins, 

I really like the suggestion of 2 x Tiny Knight of Evil. But what to remove from my deck then? Decisions decisions...
I think I will put in just one, instead of knife juggler, just for the fun of synergy. 
Will let you know how it went!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Guest Heinlad said:

Hey Donutkins, 

I really like the suggestion of 2 x Tiny Knight of Evil. But what to remove from my deck then? Decisions decisions...
I think I will put in just one, instead of knife juggler, just for the fun of synergy. 
Will let you know how it went!

Make sure to! It's always good for us to have tests of suggestions people post so that others can read the strengths/weaknesses. Let us know what rank etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-9-2016 at 10:13 AM, Blainie said:

Warlock players across the world have all just nearly passed out from shock when reading this. For real though, nice list!

 

On 13-9-2016 at 4:16 PM, Blainie said:

Make sure to! It's always good for us to have tests of suggestions people post so that others can read the strengths/weaknesses. Let us know what rank etc.

On 13-9-2016 at 6:44 AM, Donutkins said:

I personally really like where this deck has been evolving from. I've been playing and tinkering with this deck for about a week now, and I came to a very similar list. I do not own the BRM expansion, so I'm missing out on Imp Gang Boss, but the deck pilots very well.

Zoo 9-12-16.png

 

just wanted to say Donutkins your build rocks... i like the addition of tiny knight and fist jaraxus... it's more aggro now though then the standard one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2016 at 1:30 PM, Guest Wild_Thingz said:

 

 

just wanted to say Donutkins your build rocks... i like the addition of tiny knight and fist jaraxus... it's more aggro now though then the standard one.

Did it work well for you then? Any ideas on WRs/ranks etc.? Just to help anyone else that might be trying it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guest Olifantje said:

Just wanted to point out the fact that it lists Power Overwhelming as a synergy while it isn't in the deck. It also doesn't say it was removed in the changelog so I wonder where it came from ;)

This is most likely due to a previous list being updated completely, but we missed that small part. Will point this out, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To cover whatever the question is, Abusive Sergeant is perfectly fine in any number, be it 2, 1 or 0. He is still playable although not as great as before. 

You can cut him relatively safe in favor of Crazed Alchemist, who provides the same pump most of the time while being incidentally good against totems and Doomsayer that rose to popularity recently. You won't regret at least a singleton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Paracel said:

To cover whatever the question is, Abusive Sergeant is perfectly fine in any number, be it 2, 1 or 0. He is still playable although not as great as before. 

You can cut him relatively safe in favor of Crazed Alchemist, who provides the same pump most of the time while being incidentally good against totems and Doomsayer that rose to popularity recently. You won't regret at least a singleton.

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im missing out on imp gang boss, wondering what i could sub in for it, tried imp master. Didn't like it. Any ideas. 

PS. i dont have a lot of the expansion cards. I have all of karazan and first wing of league of explorers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest edible said:

Im missing out on imp gang boss, wondering what i could sub in for it, tried imp master. Didn't like it. Any ideas. 

PS. i dont have a lot of the expansion cards. I have all of karazan and first wing of league of explorers

The most common replacement for Imp Gang Boss is Harvest Golem. If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2016 at 3:52 AM, Guest edible said:

Im missing out on imp gang boss, wondering what i could sub in for it, tried imp master. Didn't like it. Any ideas. 

PS. i dont have a lot of the expansion cards. I have all of karazan and first wing of league of explorers

As positiv suggests, IGB is known for being a "sticky" minion. To fill that role, you need a decent deathrattle that can survive through a single larger attack, thereby allowing some presence to remain on board. Imp Master doesn't really fill that role, hence why you perhaps didn't like it. Golem is a good suggestion, when playing this deck I also found Argent Horserider to work fairly well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I tried this deck for a couple of days. First I had an amazing win streak, then an abysmal losing streak and I had to close the game because of sheer anger, confusement, and I generally felt like dusting everything I own and just say screw it.

 

How can a deck be THAT waving in effectiveness? I die to mages, warriors, druids. Wth?

Went from almost rank 10 all the way down to rank 15.

Can somebody please tell me if they are experiencing the same thing with the deck or is it just me having INCREDIBLE bad luck?

Edited by positiv2
Please, refrain from using vulgar language, thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Guest Klazik said:

So I tried this deck for a couple of days. First I had an amazing win streak, then an abysmal losing streak and I had to close the game because of sheer anger, confusement, and I generally felt like dusting everything I own and just say screw it.

 

How can a deck be THAT waving in effectiveness? I die to mages, warriors, druids. Wth?

Went from almost rank 10 all the way down to rank 15.

Can somebody please tell me if they are experiencing the same thing with the deck or is it just me having INCREDIBLE bad luck?

This happens to me as well. Only possible explanation I could think of could be something like, maybe higher ranks exploit your mistakes more. I mean, assume you make a suboptimal play at some point every game, at lower ranks your opponent may not be able to take advantage of it, but in higher ranks, they do. 

What I would suggest is to start playing it again, and as you get used to it even more, and making less mistakes, you should reach higher ranks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overcoming frustration from losses is an important step on your journey to becoming a better player, a responsible adult and a virtuous person (not necessary in that order).

Discard Zoo features additional random, that can be frustrating. For a person who doesn't give a damn anymore who manages to defeat this feeling, it is just exhausting in the long run. Deck is capable of rolling high and getting winstreaks as well as maintaining a 50% winrate over 100 games, no matter how hard you try. Just relax, 5 ranks don't mean a lot in the winstreak bracket.

Druids, Rogues and Mages are your literal food. These are the matchups you should be most familiar with, and after some practice, they should feel like playing against The Innkeeper. Just make sure you always play around their best card.

Shaman and Warrior are hard, but manageable. Be mentally ready to lose at the moment you get queued into them, but play to your outs regardless.

Ultimately, your success will always depend on how much Shaman you face during play sessions. Common sense dictates the answer is "every single game" but the reality of Hearthstone is that a lot of people don't play to win, so numbers are slightly different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

This happens to me as well. Only possible explanation I could think of could be something like, maybe higher ranks exploit your mistakes more. I mean, assume you make a suboptimal play at some point every game, at lower ranks your opponent may not be able to take advantage of it, but in higher ranks, they do. 

What I would suggest is to start playing it again, and as you get used to it even more, and making less mistakes, you should reach higher ranks.

I see your point. And maybe I make more mistakes when I'm frustrated.

I will keep trying and try to improve.

8 hours ago, Paracel said:

Overcoming frustration from losses is an important step on your journey to becoming a better player, a responsible adult and a virtuous person (not necessary in that order).

Discard Zoo features additional random, that can be frustrating. For a person who doesn't give a damn anymore who manages to defeat this feeling, it is just exhausting in the long run. Deck is capable of rolling high and getting winstreaks as well as maintaining a 50% winrate over 100 games, no matter how hard you try. Just relax, 5 ranks don't mean a lot in the winstreak bracket.

Druids, Rogues and Mages are your literal food. These are the matchups you should be most familiar with, and after some practice, they should feel like playing against The Innkeeper. Just make sure you always play around their best card.

Shaman and Warrior are hard, but manageable. Be mentally ready to lose at the moment you get queued into them, but play to your outs regardless.

Ultimately, your success will always depend on how much Shaman you face during play sessions. Common sense dictates the answer is "every single game" but the reality of Hearthstone is that a lot of people don't play to win, so numbers are slightly different.

Well, I am a responsible adult, and usually I don't have anger issues. But last night just triggered be beyond recognition.

It baffled me I kept losing to Tempo and Freeze mages, since I know I should crush them.

 

Rank 19 atm. Still going down real fast. Haven't won a single one for 3-4 hours of game time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guest Klazik said:

I see your point. And maybe I make more mistakes when I'm frustrated.

I will keep trying and try to improve.

Well, I am a responsible adult, and usually I don't have anger issues. But last night just triggered be beyond recognition.

It baffled me I kept losing to Tempo and Freeze mages, since I know I should crush them.

 

Rank 19 atm. Still going down real fast. Haven't won a single one for 3-4 hours of game time..

Just a little note. You don't crush either Tempo mage or Freeze mage with zoo. You win against tempo mages based on their build (if for example they play the minion based tempo mage, with Flamestrike and Arcane Explosion, you are going to have a bad time).

As for Freeze mage, the matchup is 80-20 for them. You cannot pressure them enough in the early game, and a Frost Nova + Doomsayer combo is almost a guarranteed board clear. 

I will give you my current stats from ladder. I was bored of standard (rank 9 there) and decided to play wild the last 2 weeks. Currently rank 7 on wild, playing only Freeze Mage and Zoo.

Freeze Mage Stats : http://i.imgur.com/DFYOfbE.png

Zoo Stats : http://i.imgur.com/Fl7rtRX.png

The sample is not that great, since i had huge winstreaks till rank 7, but as you can see against Freeze Mage as zoo i am 0-2 and as Freeze Mage against zoo, i am 5-1 (the other warlocks were zoo decks as well, i do not know what trackobot is drinking).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guest Klazik said:

Well, I am a responsible adult, and usually I don't have anger issues. But last night just triggered be beyond recognition.

Take a deep breath. Then remember two things:

- You play an aggro deck. Aggro decks are dependent on a getting a very powerful start; i.e. a decent starting hand and draw in the first turns. Without that, you're dead.

- You play an even more RNG-tastic version of an aggro deck, because not only do you need the right cards in hand, you also need to discard the right one(s) at random. Yes, Doomguard discarding 2 Silverware Golems and letting you draw 2 cards with an Imp out makes opponents ragequit. But that only happen once in a blue moon.

If at one point you are really too fed up with RNG not going your way, switch to a regular Zoo deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. So can somebody point me in a direction of a deck that doesn't require luck? Tired of having worse luck compared to my opponents... Or is this game just purely RNG no matter the deck? I know that you sometimes get bad draws. That's a part of it. But I just want a consistent deck. I get max 1 hour of game time since I work full time, so I really want to come home to have a good time, just winning here and there. Don't want to spent several days getting facerolled just because I have bad luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is always going to be some quantity of RNG no matter what deck you play. Even the best decks sometimes run into problems where it feels like you just cant get a good starting hand or cant draw a decent card. 

I've found that slower decks tend to have the least RNG problems. They're made to play for a longer game, and over the course of it things tend to even out. My current favorites are dragon priest, dragon warrior, and tempo mage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Zadina

      In this article, we are covering two new cards: Temporus, a Priest legendary minion, and Benevolent Djinn, a Paladin common minion.
      Benevolent Djinn was revealed earlier today by Thai player Anothersayoran1. The name of the card was officially confirmed by Puffin.

      Image by Hearthpwn.
      It is difficult to judge this card without seeing it in action. It’s comparable to Friendly Bartender: while the Djinn heals for more, its 2 attack value is a bit mediocre for a 3-mana minion. Shaman’s Hot Spring Guardian is slightly better, since it has Taunt and a targeted heal effect. Then again, Djinn also acts like a Taunt, in the sense that your opponent probably has to spend early resources to remove its powerful effect. Both cards, though, are beaten by Tar Creeper.
      This make the Djinn a great anti-aggro tool. Additionally, it synergises well with Blackguard and its Elemental tribe means that maybe we’ll get to see an Elemental Paladin. This is definitely a powerful Arena card. But can it secure a spot in constructed mode? It looks difficult, since Paladin already has some great 3-mana minions.

      This intriguing minion was revealed by Eurogamer. Its sister site, Metabomb, sat down with Peter Whalen and Ben Thompson to talk about this card. Both developers think that Temporus can be run in either the classic OTK Priest (Divine Spirit + Inner Fire) or in two new versions of Dragon Priest: a more midrange one and an OTK one with Malygos. 
      It would be interesting to see what it's interaction is going to be with Brann Bronzebeard. Temporus is a "high risk, high reward" card and, even if you don't like it or it turns out to be bad, you'd still have to commend its design.
      Don't forget to check out our Kobolds & Catacombs hub for everything you need to know about the upcoming expansion!
    • By Zadina

      The 2016 Hearthstone World Champion revealed this rare Druid card.
      Grizzled Guardian was unveiled on Pavel's YouTube channel. It's a rare Druid Beast, that costs 8 mana and has 3 attack and 5 health. It has Taunt and Deathrattle: "Recruit 2 minions that cost (4) or less". Pavel's video is in Russian, but you can enable accurate English subtitles to see what the World Champion has to say about that card.
      After watching Pavel's video, I am convinced that Grizzled Guardian isn't as bad as it looks at first sight. Sure, its stats are garbage, but you should also factor in the stats of the minions it pulls from your deck when it dies. Still, it's hard to see it fit into the current meta. Perhaps, it can see play when the Year of the Kraken sets rotate out of Standard. It also weakens the 8-mana slot for Evolve and similar effect.
      What's your opinion on Grizzled Veteran? As always, all the cards of the new expansion can be found in our Kobolds & Catacombs hub.
      PS: Turns out it's not Hogger 3.0 :(
    • By Aleco

      The newest Legendary Shaman minion has me shaking in my boots. Is this the card that will put Elemental Shaman over the top?
      Chinese Hearthstone streamer Snowkiss has revealed the Legendary Shaman minion from K&C. This bad boy appears to pack quite the punch - my mind is already racing with potential combos and synergies for Grumble, World Shaker:

      Card image courtesy of Hearthpwn.com
      Elementals have plenty of powerful Battlecry triggers which Grumble could play for a second time. Kalimos, Primal Lord, Servant of Kalimos, Blazecaller, and Jade Spirit immediately come to mind as potent synergies for the shaker of worlds. Grumble could also be used to double down of Jade cards such as Jade Chieftain and Aya Blackpaw, or could even be used to recycle the Battlecry triggers of the old gods. All of this on a 7/7 for 6 mana? Sign me up!
      Is this the card that Elemental Shaman has been waiting for? Let us know what you think about Grumble in the comment section, and check out our Kobolds and Catacombs hub for more information on the upcoming set.
    • By Caldyrvan
      A few days ago I posted a cheap priest deck. I have no idea how many actually have been interested in it but maybe we had some none registered visitors who knows. So here another deck. Again inspired by Chump but I had a similar deck before. Compared to Chumps' version I replaced 2x Twilight Summoner with 2x Spawn of N'Zoth (beause Epics are not budget :D) and I didn't want to craft Forbidden Ritual myself so I've put in 2 commons instread, Mortal Coil and Zealous Initiate.
      It's technically a Zoo but it plays differently which is a nice change to the "we know it all" stuff :)
      Total Arcane Dust Cost: 1500
      2x Flame Imp 1x Mortal Coil 2x Possessed Villager 2x Sanguine Reveler 2x Voidwalker 1x Zealous Initiate 2x Dire Wolf Alpha 2x Volatile Elemental 2x Darkshire Councilman 2x Devilsaur Egg 2x Spawn of N'Zoth 2x Unwilling Sacrifice 1x Void Terror 2x Ravenous Pterrordax 1x Cobalt Scalebane 2x Despicable Dreadlord 2x Bonemare Deck Code: AAECAf0GBMQIxQmNrQLKywINMNkHwgi0rAL2rgKNrwLnwQKrwgK0xAKXywL3zQKmzgKJ4gIA
      Guide:
      This deck is basically a Zoo, you can find a well written guide here, but maybe somewhat slower and less reliable due to the fact that you need to combo with your deathrattle cards but the value you get out of them should make up for it. As with any Zoo deck you want to put early pressure on your opponent and establish board control with cheap minions and playing on curve.
      In your starting hand you want to see a couple of 1 mana minions and a 2 (and/or maybe a 3 mana cost) mana cost to put something on the board and plan for your next turns. Flame Imp is always a good choice as well as Sanguine Reveler and a 1, 2 or maybe a 3 mana deathrattle minion to combo with. Against more aggressive decks a Voidwalker could be a good choice as well, against slower decks you might consider to keep a Devilsaur Egg. To be able to play a Darkshire Councilman on turn 3 is great too.
      You have good tools to maintain board control (besides the minions you already have) like Volatile Elemental which has great synergy with your cannibal cards like Ravenous Pterrordax. Unwilling Sacrifice is a bit like Deadly Shot and needs accurate play to be not a waste but the potential value you can get out of it is great. And later in the game Despicable Dreadlord helps a lot to maintain board control.
      Have fun :)
      -> Budged Aggro Priest Deck -> Budget Handbuff Paladin
    • By Aleco

      The second of three Unidentified Magic Items to be revealed from Kobolds and Catacombs, will Unidentified Maul be a smashing success on the ladder?
      Kripparrian revealed the second of three Unidentified Magic Items in Kobolds and Catacombs today on his Twitter accounter, Unidentifed Maul:

      A Paladin Weapon, Unidentified Maul begins each game with an unknown effect and will become "identified" upon drawing the card from your deck. The weapon will always be a 3 mana 2/2, but will be randomly bestowed with one of the four following effects when drawn:

      A couple of the potential modes on this card are very enticing. Two Silver Hand Recruits and a 2/2 weapon for 3 mana is a screaming deal, and the other three modes offer some serious value if you're already ahead on board. Given that three of the four potential modes on Unidentified Maul aren't very good when you're behind, I doubt this card will slot in as an instant replacement for Rallying Blade. Unidentified Maul could end up seeing play in token-based strategies, as granting +1 Attack or Divine Shield to a wide board of minions drawn from Small-Time Recruits is nothing to shake a hammer at.
      Will the random nature of Unidentified Maul be its downfall, or will its synergies with token strategies enable it to see some play on the ladder? Let us know what you think in the comments, and be sure to check out our Kobolds and Catacombs hub for more information on the upcoming set.