FORUMS
Damien

Kobold Midrange Shaman Standard

Guest A new player

What can I replace Rag with? Maybe Syl? It has some use against control matchup

I did that very switch in the totem-based deck, replacing Ragnaros the Firelord with Sylvanas Windrunner. It's not bad, but it's not really a stellar switch either. More often than not, the Banshee Queen just ended up dead in my hand, waiting for a moment she'd have an impact on the game that never came.

You could try simply adding another damage spell like Lava Burst. Rag it ain't, but considering you're doing your best to always have spell damage up...

Thanks for this deck and the detailed explanation on how to use it! I went 12-2 with it up till now, which is pretty awesome compared to my usual performance (EU lvl 13 right now). I had to substitute an Ogre Magi for 1 Azure Drake (shame on me, I only have 1) and added a second Kobold Geomancer because I don't have Bloodmage Thalanos.

I was wondering what you think about adding Barnes to the deck. As I see it the only bad summons from Barnes would be Totem Golem and Fire Elemental, while all other summons would either offer Spell Damage, Taunt, Card Draw, be buffable like Tunnel Trogg or even be awesome like Ragnaros or Thunder Bluff Valiant. I will actually now try it, will remove the Ogre Magi for it. :)

56 minutes ago, Moos said:

Thanks for this deck and the detailed explanation on how to use it! I went 12-2 with it up till now, which is pretty awesome compared to my usual performance (EU lvl 13 right now). I had to substitute an Ogre Magi for 1 Azure Drake (shame on me, I only have 1) and added a second Kobold Geomancer because I don't have Bloodmage Thalanos.

I was wondering what you think about adding Barnes to the deck. As I see it the only bad summons from Barnes would be Totem Golem and Fire Elemental, while all other summons would either offer Spell Damage, Taunt, Card Draw, be buffable like Tunnel Trogg or even be awesome like Ragnaros or Thunder Bluff Valiant. I will actually now try it, will remove the Ogre Magi for it. :)

Glad to hear that you like the deck and that you are finding success with it. Personally I don't see Barnes being a bad inclusion. Try it out and let us know how is works out for you. 

Guest Extra firepower

Possible bloodlust? Often have a full board that is quite weak, could I replace a lightning bolt or something else? Thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guest Extra firepower said:

Possible bloodlust? Often have a full board that is quite weak, could I replace a lightning bolt or something else? Thanks

I would add one in place of Thunder Bluff Valiant as it rarely has huge value in my games. If you prefer to keep the Thunder Bluff Valiant, you could try adding the Bloodlust in place of one Feral Spirit.

• Like 1

I don't have Thalnos, so another Kobold does the work, for the missing Ragnaros I have Malchezaar in place right now. Seems to do the job of surprising me pretty well :)

14 is my wall currently but that's my wall with all my decks. I suppose that is what my skill allows.

6 hours ago, netwolff said:

I don't have Thalnos, so another Kobold does the work, for the missing Ragnaros I have Malchezaar in place right now. Seems to do the job of surprising me pretty well :)

14 is my wall currently but that's my wall with all my decks. I suppose that is what my skill allows.

Instead of Prince Malchezaar I recommend you to play Sylvanas Windrunner or second Fire Elemental. Some players also run Bloodlust, so you might try it as well if the former two cards don't fit your playstyle or your matchups.

6 hours ago, netwolff said:

6 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

Instead of Prince Malchezaar I recommend you to play Sylvanas Windrunner or second Fire Elemental. Some players also run Bloodlust, so you might try it as well if the former two cards don't fit your playstyle or your matchups.

Bloodlust is awesome in midrange shaman decks. I play it in place of one Mana Tide Totem, and it has won me almost every mirror match on ladder. Try it, instead of Prince Malchezaar

On 11/23/2016 at 6:32 PM, CodeRazor said:

Bloodlust is awesome in midrange shaman decks. I play it in place of one Mana Tide Totem, and it has won me almost every mirror match on ladder. Try it, instead of Prince Malchezaar

Do you try to hold it as a finisher or do you freely use it as a clearing tool?

I think I would have liked the idea to add a bloodlust, I must admit that Thunder Bluff Valiant rarely ever had a great impact or was game changing, although ofc it is a great situational card.

Edit: By the way, I used Barnes and it provided good value, as sometimes it summoned just what I needed and always the opponent was eager to remove it, yet not always able to do so.

I achieved a 68% winrate (38-18) and got rank 8 at the end of the season, which is really good for me, but I must admit that prior to this season I have not really played much anyways. What really changed a lot for me, was the one-time deal from Blizz where I got (I think) 5 legendarys for 5€ or so. That really made me feel like I can somewhat keep up with players that have been around way longer or have invested more $ into the game. Oh...and the hearthhead website going down (or into beta or whatever, now it sucks imo) made me come to IcyVeins which is an awesome place for deck guids and stuff. Thank you! :)

Hearthstone Screenshot 11-30-16 16.37.46.png

Edited by Moos

I got Legend this season playing absolutely ungodly amounts of Shaman mirrors, and I can definetly say - Bloodlust is not an important card in this matchup. 

It is a very heavy board control oriented matchup. Bloodlust there is mediocre at best, because 95% of the situations where you slam it and you win, you are already ahead enough that you can't lose, the difference would be only "this turn" and "two turns later". And what I wouldn't like to see at any point of the game is a good old brick, because this spell does not give you a board presence or a board clear. 

Bloodlust is excelent against the rest of the field, namely Warrior, Druid and Rogue - classes that have hard time constantly clearing your board, who have commit resources to it, and at the same time whom you'd like to race - and who can use that downtime where all you have is a bunch of totems and 1 creature.

Barnes is consistently good, even though his rolls are mostly bad. That's due to a huge hole at the 4-drop slot, that is essentially impossible to fill. He can get your Rags, he can get your Flametongues, he is good with double Mana Tide config (although I'm not fond of it) and he can scale to be a 6-drop, when you count on rolling Thunder Bluff Valiant.

2 hours ago, Moos said:

I must admit that Thunder Bluff Valiant rarely ever had a great impact or was game changing, although ofc it is a great situational card.

TBV is one of the best midrange cards in the game. It's how you win your games and make your opponents to fear you. Don't even start to think about cutting it.

There is a caveat surrounding it, because a lot of the times turn 7 is too slow, but turn 5 and 6 can easily meet a removal spell. Playing it tight and right is something that you learn and something that cannot be explained easily, because it's mostly hand reading, that's a Jedi trait. One piece of advice that I have to you is to engineer situations where your opponents is forced to spend his premier removal beforehand. After that, it's usually a green light. Drawing 2 out of 2 is where you can start whining about being unlucky, as it is around 8-10% chance.

20 hours ago, Moos said:

I achieved a 68% winrate (38-18) and got rank 8 at the end of the season, which is really good for me, but I must admit that prior to this season I have not really played much anyways. What really changed a lot for me, was the one-time deal from Blizz where I got (I think) 5 legendarys for 5€ or so. That really made me feel like I can somewhat keep up with players that have been around way longer or have invested more $ into the game. Oh...and the hearthhead website going down (or into beta or whatever, now it sucks imo) made me come to IcyVeins which is an awesome place for deck guids and stuff. Thank you! :)

Really glad to hear that you did well this season! Congrats!

Also, welcome to the site. Fingers crossed that we maintain the quality that I'm sure you'll come to love very soon! :)

• Like 1