FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Time Warp Quest Mage Deck List

This archetype seems so strong... Recently been playing a similar list with a few changes.

- bloodmage thalnos, - mana bind, - volcanic potion, -2 kabal couriers, - alexstraza. +2 medivh's valet, + shimmering tempest, + ice barrier, + cabalist's tome, + flamestrike.

Thoughts on the changes?

Just now, themuffinboyy said:

This archetype seems so strong... Recently been playing a similar list with a few changes.

- bloodmage thalnos, - mana bind, - volcanic potion, -2 kabal couriers, - alexstraza. +2 medivh's valet, + shimmering tempest, + ice barrier, + cabalist's tome, + flamestrike.

Thoughts on the changes?

Fine if those are budget swaps. I'd probably keep the Volcanic Potion over Ice Barrier as it is cheap (dust-wise) and serves a similar purpose.

Guest Casual

This deck is very good. Unstoppable in control matchups and really only bad against Pirate Warrior. I won a lot of games where I didn't need my quest to be completed. I swapped Kabal Courier as most of the time it only gives you 1 spell (and not always a cheap mage spell). Its inconsistent. I also added Coldlight Oracle as a card draw and a tool to mill other control decks. Also don't like Mana Bind as it prevents Ice Block from being drawn by Arcanologist and sometimes you really need to survive. 

Guest Doodler

With the Exact same deck List - I just made it to legend (IKR- Like a Month and a half late). I was an avid Freeze mage player before all the key cards got rotated out, and also really enjoyed playing Giants mage back when mage was broken AF, So playing this deck felt like riding a bike. The important thing about this deck is that its not a One-Trick-Pony Combo deck, but the giants themselves act as huge threats to both Aggressive and non-Aggressive Match ups.

The surprise factor of this deck won me a crap ton of games, and my winrate against pirate warrior wasnt as horrific as one may assume, purely because Ice Block + Frost Nova + Double giants often just wins games by Itself. The one bad match up is taunt warrior - just because the Deck relies on either comboing or the opponent not having an answer to one of youre 5 threats - and Warrior often does.

Another huge part of my success was the knowledge that OpenTheWayGate counters Ice block in a beautiful way, and with all the Grinder/Secret mages running around - its important to have such big counter to them (without having to make a huge sacrifice in other matchups by teching in Eater Of Secrets).

Im tempted to make an in-Depth guide for this deck  as we know in the current meta it CAN reach legend, Let me know what you think - TY for the deck list

Hello everybody!

Exodia mage is a deck I starded playied (not with success) since the very first day it was published here. I have to thank this site as there is nothing that I enjoy more than play this combo :) as an old yugioh player, it's undestandable.

However, do someone have a wild list for exodia mage? I was wandering what card should I use... It's better the mad scientist (that play ice block from deck), the arcanologist (that can fetch the second ice block even if you have played the first) or both?

2 hours ago, Synesthesy said:

Hello everybody!

Exodia mage is a deck I starded playied (not with success) since the very first day it was published here. I have to thank this site as there is nothing that I enjoy more than play this combo :) as an old yugioh player, it's undestandable.

However, do someone have a wild list for exodia mage? I was wandering what card should I use... It's better the mad scientist (that play ice block from deck), the arcanologist (that can fetch the second ice block even if you have played the first) or both?

I would rather use Mad Scientist for higher value. It will often enable stronger plays as it will not force you to spend additional 3 mana for the secret.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Verthrix said:

There's wrong Mukla in the GinjaNinja listing. It should be tyrant of the vale as it is in the deck instructions

Thanks, i'll fix it!

Guest djinick2u

Guys i have alex,shindragosa,jaina and many legendaries and i want a deck witch will take value some of my legendaries but also not have medievhs valet and babbling book, any suggestions?

7 hours ago, Guest djinick2u said:

Guys i have alex,shindragosa,jaina and many legendaries and i want a deck witch will take value some of my legendaries but also not have medievhs valet and babbling book, any suggestions?

Do you play wild or standard?

However, quest mage use Alex only in the Giant version, and it doesn't use a lot of other legendaries because it focus more on spell generation to complete the quest (except Antonidas or Alexstraza, of course). Maybe a control mage like this?

However, you can always swap the valets and book for other cards that fulfill the same role.... here there should be some better player then me :)

Guest Jovison

Hey I just noticed you stole my deck! I had this since 5 minutes after it was possible to create it and been using it since. You have a flaw on one card which makes your deck lose more than it should. How dare you copy my deck and shouldn't take credit for it.

I find this deck amusing and frustrating at the same time (to play against).

I'm a beginner and playing mostly Zoo Warlock as a deck to learn the ropes. By the time I have enough strenght on the board for lethal then the mage has all the secrets and freeze spells to stall and kick off the OTK. Last match I literally trew everything at face completely ignoring minions on the board and still got owned :D

Frustration aside :) I was wondering if there is a way to actually win in this matchup which is not including Eater of Secrets? Or is it just a not favorable matchup?

Thanks for any helpful insights!

Cheers

16 minutes ago, darquill said:

I find this deck amusing and frustrating at the same time (to play against).

I'm a beginner and playing mostly Zoo Warlock as a deck to learn the ropes. By the time I have enough strenght on the board for lethal then the mage has all the secrets and freeze spells to stall and kick off the OTK. Last match I literally trew everything at face completely ignoring minions on the board and still got owned :D

Frustration aside :) I was wondering if there is a way to actually win in this matchup which is not including Eater of Secrets? Or is it just a not favorable matchup?

Thanks for any helpful insights!

Cheers

1) be the beatdown. Attack with everything you have. You haven't to go face everytime, but it's true that they can't build a board better then yours

2) Know their board clear: they play 2 frost nova and 1 or 2 blizzard, with 2 Doomsayer.  This mean that they can clear your board twice, and stall twice more. Normally, I would say to save >7 damage in your hand with spells or hero power, to destroy their doomsayers, but as zoolock is not that easy. So, you must never build a board too huge. You must build a new big board ASAP after their doomsayer has been dropped, so leave something in your hand. If you are playing some discard version of zoo, instead, you should have some way to make 7 damage (Doomguard or 1 mana 4 damage discard 1, I don't remember its english name).

3) Count the damage you have on board to carefully build it. Count how many turns you need to kill them if they don't freeze you. And in the same way, count the cards in their deck. Math says that they should draw the whole exodia combo only near the end of their deck. Or at least, when I play exodia mage, Antonidas is always the last card :P

4) As a zoo warlock, another tech that can help is Gnomeferatu. You can play it against every deck, and if you hit the right card you win against combo deck :)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Synesthesy said:

1) be the beatdown. Attack with everything you have. You haven't to go face everytime, but it's true that they can't build a board better then yours

2) Know their board clear: they play 2 frost nova and 1 or 2 blizzard, with 2 Doomsayer.  This mean that they can clear your board twice, and stall twice more. Normally, I would say to save >7 damage in your hand with spells or hero power, to destroy their doomsayers, but as zoolock is not that easy. So, you must never build a board too huge. You must build a new big board ASAP after their doomsayer has been dropped, so leave something in your hand. If you are playing some discard version of zoo, instead, you should have some way to make 7 damage (Doomguard or 1 mana 4 damage discard 1, I don't remember its english name).

3) Count the damage you have on board to carefully build it. Count how many turns you need to kill them if they don't freeze you. And in the same way, count the cards in their deck. Math says that they should draw the whole exodia combo only near the end of their deck. Or at least, when I play exodia mage, Antonidas is always the last card :P

4) As a zoo warlock, another tech that can help is Gnomeferatu. You can play it against every deck, and if you hit the right card you win against combo deck :)

Thank you!

So I should not overextend, which I did last match to try to do as much face damage as possible, and count their clears. Got it.

What about try to control their Sorcerer's Apprentice to avoid the 0 cost fireballs, would that work?

1 hour ago, darquill said:

Thank you!

So I should not overextend, which I did last match to try to do as much face damage as possible, and count their clears. Got it.

What about try to control their Sorcerer's Apprentice to avoid the 0 cost fireballs, would that work?

Obviously, if you start playing another deck, you can overextend IF you have 7 or more damage on board, for example having a fireball and a ping as mage or DK hero power + swipe as druid.

Dirty Rat is a good tech to summon their Apprentice before their combo. I once defeated an exodia mage in wild with Deathlord's help. If you are lucky, gnomeferatu can work too. With traditional ways, a zoolock cannot interact with their final combo, when they drop the Apprentice they either lose to theirselves or win.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Guest Lemon said:

Is there a replacement for Aluneth? I mill myself everytime :/

Knowing when (not) to play Aluneth is pretty important. Try playing enough games to get a feeling for it. If you'd rather not, you can go for any of the cards that were run previously in the deck (can be found in Changelog section), preferably draw or pseudo-draw cards.

I've played the giants version of quest mage extensively since the deck was first released - it's my favorite off meta deck to play just for fun - and I'm of the view Aluneth is a bad fit for this deck.

At a minimum your combo is 2 giants and Alex. That's three cards in your hand which are mostly dead in your hand during your earlier turns.. By turn six, when you can play Aluneth, depending on how many of your OTK combo cards you've drawn, you'll likely have between 4 to 6 cards in your hand - but you could have more if you played a Tome on turn 5 (which you'll almost always want to do). Depending on how many cards you have in hand, this means your turn 6 is either spent on developing a single weapon which can be removed and sacrificing a chance to stall your opponent through a frost nova or a blizzard or using other cards to complete your quest. Or if you chose not to play it, it's a dead card in your hand until the turn after you can get your giant combo out of your hand - which isn't usually until the mid to late game when you have very few cards left in your deck, exponentially increasing the chance you'll die to fatigue damage.

I know positiv2 said knowing when (not) to play Aluneth is important but I see very, very few opportunities in the usual progression of this deck to play Aluneth at all without risking milling potentially important cards or dying to fatigue damage.

I also don't like the shifting scrolls in this deck. If it counted as a quest step it'd be useful but it doesn't. I'd rather take those out and replace them with 1x lesser ruby spellstone and 1x shimmering tempest. With the 2x Leylines in the deck and the tempest you have a good chance at upgrading the spell stones and getting more spells which actually do contribute to the quest.

Edited by h3llbee