Zadina

Arcane Tyrant Reveal: Kobolds & Catacombs

Sign in to follow this  

15 posts in this topic

34303-twig-of-the-world-tree-reveal-kobo

This Epic card from Kobolds & Catacombs actually looks exciting!

Arcane Tyrant was unveiled by Chinese streamer Autumn on Panda.tv.

636471864277434919.png

Image by Hearthpwn

At first glance, this card fits perfectly into Mage. Jaina is the queen of spells and will already get more Elemental synergy in Kobolds & Catacombs with cards like Ruby Spellstone and Arcane Artificer. On the other hand, Elemental Mage mostly runs minions and not spells. Additionally, this card has to be played as early as possible in Mage, otherwise Inkmaster Solia is a better body and allows for any spell to be cast for free and Arcane Giant is just a better late-game minion.

Arcane Tyrant can accompany any deck that runs big spells. Apart from the obvious "caster" classes, like Mage and Warlock, the card has potential in Druid too, along with cards like Nourish and Ultimate Infestation. It's one of these cards that looks good on paper, but will have to see actual play to determine if and how it can fit into the Hearthstone meta.

Don't forget to take a look at our Kobolds & Catacombs hub for all the cards that have been revealed so far, along with information on the upcoming expansion.

Looks good on first sight, yet for some reason I'm not sure it'll see much play.

Other than the synergies you already mentioned, I can also think of this being useful to combo with board clears ala Twisting Nether, Brawl and Volcano.

The main downside I see is that decks that run expensive spells tend not to care about minions like this one. I do, however, expect that the card will be played quite a lot, as there still are decks that the opposite goes for them, such as priests with Dragonfire Potion.

I can see some potential and I think this is a card that might be a candidate for underestimations but it could be bad too :D But so far I'm not impressed by this card.

Your opponent might expect from you to either play some board clear or put something on the board, to do both may give you an advantage. But seriously even if you play it for zero cost on turn 5+ you want something more than a 4/4 that does nothing else. If it would have at least 5 health ... If you are sure your opponent doesn't have a good answer dropping two of them in the same turn might be interesting though. Well, we will see.

Edited by Caldyrvan

Dragonfire Potion, Twisting Nether, Ultimate Infestation, Firelands Portal, Flamestrike, Blizzard , Nourish, Brawl, Vanish, Siphon Soul, Lay On Hands, Sprint, Kazakus Potion 5/10-

I think this will be played a lot, it's really powerful with board clears or draw effects

You clear the board and drop a 4/4 turning the board instead of simply resetting it, or you draw a lot of cards and play one or 2 4/4 for free

4 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I can see some potential and I think this is a card that might be a candidate for underestimations but it could be bad too :D But so far I'm not impressed by this card.

Your opponent might expect from you to either play some board clear or put something on the board, to do both may give you an advantage. But seriously even if you play it for zero cost on turn 5+ you want something more than a 4/4 that does nothing else. If it would have at least 5 health ... If you are sure your opponent doesn't have a good answer dropping two of them in the same turn might be interesting though. Well, we will see.

If 4/4 for 0 mana isn't good enough, then following this logic you would never be able to play a big spell - because after the spell you can play no minion which equals 0/0.

I see quite a lot of potential, especially with Ultimate Infestation

I didn't want to say it's total garbage but to put a minion in the mid or even late game on the board that does not provide huge stats and/or something else isn't that awesome either even for free. A first or second turn Happy Ghoul is a bigger threat. :D

Edited by Caldyrvan

23 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

If 4/4 for 0 mana isn't good enough, then following this logic you would never be able to play a big spell - because after the spell you can play no minion which equals 0/0.

But that 0/0 doesn't cost you a place in the deck and a card in the hand.

• Like 2

Seems disgusting in druid.  The fact that this can recoup tempo from nourish and ui is bonkers.  Especially when you have such a high chance of hitting it with draw 5.  Kun sees play exactly for this and it is far less reliable since you need it before you draw 5.  I fully expect 2 copies in every druid deck.  Also could be interesting with sprint in rogue.

59 minutes ago, VaraTreledees said:

Seems disgusting in druid.  The fact that this can recoup tempo from nourish and ui is bonkers.  Especially when you have such a high chance of hitting it with draw 5.  Kun sees play exactly for this and it is far less reliable since you need it before you draw 5.  I fully expect 2 copies in every druid deck.  Also could be interesting with sprint in rogue.

4/4 is so underwhelming though. Like Jade druid can spam 10/10s easily and big druid is no different. If you have a Medivh weapon ready, Kun into UI is already disgusting, it doesn't need this at all.

Jade druid can easily play 0 mana 8/8 s but even they don't make the cut.

I see this seeing play in priest and warlock though. Clearing the board is normally takes whole turn while you are not developing anything, at that point, this is the developed thing. This is one of the reasons for Medivh seeing play in control warlock.

7 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

4/4 is so underwhelming though. Like Jade druid can spam 10/10s easily and big druid is no different. If you have a Medivh weapon ready, Kun into UI is already disgusting, it doesn't need this at all.

Jade druid can easily play 0 mana 8/8 s but even they don't make the cut.

I see this seeing play in priest and warlock though. Clearing the board is normally takes whole turn while you are not developing anything, at that point, this is the developed thing. This is one of the reasons for Medivh seeing play in control warlock.

But Giants can't be played until way later.  You see UI on turn 7 all the time.  Kun + UI + this on turn 7 is back breaking.  Same with mediv ofc.

14 hours ago, positiv2 said:

But that 0/0 doesn't cost you a place in the deck and a card in the hand.

That is true.

Still, with UI that could be worth considering it. Or with Sprint.

No doubt across all classes there are several spells able to make this thing playable but I have my doubts it will be efficient over the course of several games.

I don't want to sit on this thing on turn 5 while having just a 6+ cost spell in hand, in this case I would do better by having a Second-Rate Bruiser in my deck :D

Edited by Caldyrvan