FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Blackhowl Gun Turret Reveal

eqsygI5.jpg

Blackhowl Gun Turret is arguably the most exciting card to be spoiled from The Witchwood.

As much as I loved the first Warrior legendary, Darius Crowley, I'm even more infatuated with the second Warrior legendary from The Witchwood, Blackhowl Gun Turret:

DZg9oz_UMAAcdvF (1).png

Card Image courtesy of HS Top Decks

We've got a long ways to go with our Witchwood spoilers, but I'd be very surprised if this card wasn't one of the most exciting cards in the entire set when everything is said and done. This isn't to say it will necessarily be the strongest or most meta-defining card, but that the effect on this card is just so damn cool. Blizzard completely knocked it out of the park with the flavor factor on this card, and I can only imagine that winning with a Blackhowl Gun Turret + Sudden Genesis combo will be one of the most satisfying kills in all of Hearthstone.

As much as I'd love for kooky combos with this card to be a thing, unless I'm missing something (which is a very real possibility) it seems a bit too hard to use this card as the engine for a combo deck. This begs the question, how will Blackhowl Gun Turret (BGT) fare in a deck with a decent amount of Whirlwind effects as the clunky power card of choice? BGT only has to beat out Grommash HellscreamGeosculptor Yip, and Rotface to earn his keep in control decks, and it would certainly get played in any kind of dedicated enrage deck.

As excited as I am about the awesome effect on this card, I haven't the foggiest idea of whether or not it will be competitively viable. What do you think? Can you brew up any crazy OTKs with this card? Let us know in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Witchwood Hub for more info on the upcoming expansion.

Defile counter :)

Call me crazy, but this card will see play in warrior decks.

Now, we say Grommash Hellscream, Geosculptor Yip and Rotface are the competition. I don't think so, at least for the first guy. Grommash Hellscream is a great finisher, able to deal 12 with Inner Rage, but right now, that's not how you play warrior, no? You have Dead Man's Hand and Scourgelord Garrosh, which change what warrior does completely. This is not oldschool wallet warrior, this is even more control-intense deck, which relies on clearing the board and creating threats somewhat (at least after Coldlight Oracle rotates). All of the latest legendaries push warrior to a late-game value generation, and even though they are all random, this is what we will expect from warrior. It takes games to fatigue, and in the right hands, it can safely beat warlocks. Class wil use everything to help himself reach to the late game where he can just spam (or randomly summon) one threat after another.

SO, this card can be played with all those whirlwind effects (Blood RazorWhirlwind, DK's hero power, the new echo card), to try and clear the board. Apparently, if this said 'deal 3 damage to a random enemy minion', it would be insane. Even in this form, it is a good card, and it will see play. Damage being random might hurt, but we're good. Warrior is slowly getting used to pray RNG, starting from Un'goro especially (Random Rag shots, anyone?)

4 hours ago, Aleco said:

Can you brew up any crazy OTKs with this card?

Well, Turn 10 play it on empty board and play bouncing blade is 24dmg to face.

If you can cheat it out on an empty board with woecleaver, then whirlwind, sudden genesis x2, bouncing blade (each reduced in cost by one from thaurisan) should pretty much always be lethal. The requirement that enemy board is empty can probably be relaxed since depending on HP, some enemy minions (eg. one at 3 HP) are more likely to be killed by a turret than the blade.

Edited by Bozonik

This card is really cool, and will spawn some pretty cool otk and combo decks, but I doubt it will be a viable card.  Feels like in a fair deck, one not meant to use this as some sort of rediculous combo corner Stone, this just takes too much work for a rather mediocre reward.

I think this card has a lot of potential. It is already pretty good on its own (something that many Warrior-cards are not) and can generate a lot of additional value in combination with whirlwind-effects.

I just want to point out, that this could be played in an "Baku the Mooneater" odd-cost-deck. The upgraded heropower is pretty good on Warrior (as we already seen in the year of the kraken) and can cheat you enough time to draw combo-pieces. So I will be pretty suprised if this didn't see play.

(btw: how is a gun turret legendary? Its a bunch of guns in a wooden tower...strange)

Edited by Taan

Gonna be "That guy" and say not viable.    The 7 casting cost, lack of taunt, and inability to attack just limit this too much imo.